2,000 Kilometres On A Green DRZ

St. John's to Rocky Harbour to Port Au Port Peninsula to Rocky Harbour to Trout River to Rocky Harbour to St. John's.

2,260 kms in three and a half days.

I rode my DL650 V-Strom on this trip, but my good buddy Lorenzo decided to brave a whole lot of painful saddle time, and courageously join me on his KLX400R, on my planned trip from St. John's, to do some touring on the West Coast of the island of Newfoundland. He ended up following me for 2,060 kms of the total 2,260 km trip. Not bad, considering he was riding a bike that was originally sold as a non-street-legal dirtbike. That's just gotta hurt!

I still had my stock Bridgestone Trailwings, left over from when my DRZ400S was new, and the stock 15/44 sprocket set, so we installed those on Lorenzo's KLX400R. This at least gave him the ability to hold 70 to 75 MPH on the highway for sustained periods of time. And the bike did so flawlessly! We also removed the rimlocks, of course.

Day 1...

We left St. John's at 9:00 AM. Weather was sunny as far as Grand Falls, and cloudly and dry all the way to Gros Morne National Park. We arrived at 6:30 PM after traveling 720 kms.

Day 2...

We headed south, back down Route 430 and Route 1, through Deer Lake along the beautiful Humber Valley, through Corner Brook, then westward to Stephenville. Our buddy CoolHand was waiting for us at the local Tim Hortons coffee shop, despite the fact that we were an hour and a half late, due to a late start from Gros Morne. As soon as I suggested how great it would be if CoolHand (a.k.a. Jon) could join us on a trip around the historic and scenic Port Au Port Peninsula, he was on it. His brother offered him his brand new CBR, and away we went. A slow ride around the bottom half of the PAPP, was followed by an extremely 'spirited' ride across the top half of the loop, once we realized we might run out of daylight, and have to ride through Gros Morne park in the dark. Gros Morne has the highest moose population of any area in North America, so riding through there in the dark is generally a VERY bad idea.

Despite our best efforts to make time, after leaving to head back northward, we ended up riding through Gros Morne Park in the rain, as it was getting dark. We were very surprised not to see one moose along the entire 70 km run from Deer Lake to Rocky Harbour. Whew! :thumbsup:

Total riding distance for the day was 590 kms.

Day 3...

Lorenzo had racked up 1,300 kms in 36 hrs on day 1 and day 2, and his body was starting to seriously feel it. So he slept in while I headed off down to Trout River and Woody Point. It was blistering hot down there, with temps well over 30 degrees Celsius, down along the sheltered side of Bonne Bay. The Tablelands Mountains were as awe-inspiring as it gets in Newfoundland & Labrador. They are the oldest exposed part of the Earth's mantle anywhere, and always seem to have some snow left on the tops to make photos look a little more postcard-like.

Total distance for me on Day 3 was 230 kms.

Day 4 (Friday the 13th!)...

Time to pay the piper! Rocky Harbour to Badger saw us riding through 252 kms of rain. Central Newfoundland welcomed us with sunny skies. When we reached Eastern Newfoundland, the hellish test of will began. From Clarenville to St. John's we had to deal with thick fog, rain, and high winds. Just no joy in it, let me tell ya!

We somehow made good time crossing the island from west to east, despite the bad weather. I pulled into my driveway at 5:15 PM. Total distance for day 4 was 720 kms.

We had no flats, no breaksdowns, no crashes, and only saw one moose, and it was dead.

Here's some snaps...

A 'sign shot' to make it official...

GrosMorne01.jpg

Bonne Bay...

GrosMorne02.jpg

Looking down from the mountain road in Gros Morne National Park...

GrosMorne03.jpg

Mid-park area...

GrosMorne04.jpg

Mid-park area...

GrosMorne05.jpg

Woody Point lighthouse...

GrosMorne06.jpg

Tablelands Mountains, on the road to Trout River...

GrosMorne07.jpg

Tablelands Mountains, on the road to Trout River...

GrosMorne08.jpg

Me, Jon, and Lorenzo on the Port Au Port Peninsula...

GrosMorne09.jpg

The 'Cliffs' on the south side of the Port Au Port Peninsula...

GrosMorne10.jpg

Our rented cabin at Rocky Harbour...

GrosMorne11.jpg

Total on the trip meter from my driveway in St. John's, and back...

GrosMorne12.jpg

Some additional nature and scenic shots from our West Coast trip...

This is the male West Coast Humanoid (Also known as 'The Missing Link'). He is seen here in his natural environment, waiting to pounce aggressively upon salmon, as they begin their swin up-river to spawn. This creature has also been known to prey upon tiny donut-like animals in it's other natural habitat, known as Tim Hortons...

CoolHand.jpg

Woody Point lighthouse with Bonne Bay in the background...

WestCoast01.jpg

The Tablelands Mountains as seen from the road to Trout River...

WestCoast02.jpg

Lobster Cove Head lighthouse, near Rocky Harbour...

WestCoast03.jpg

Lobster Cove Head lighthouse, as seen from the shore...

WestCoast04.jpg

Coastline along the south side of the Port Au Port Peninsula...

WestCoast05.jpg

Coastline near Cape St. George, on the Port Au Port Peninsula...

WestCoast06.jpg

Outstanding :thumbsup::busted:

Neil. :thumbsup::cheers::bonk:

Wow.. Awesome pics..The countryside there is outstanding.

Thankyou for the fantastic pics!!

Marvelous, terrific ride report. How is your butt doing?

Very nice.

Anywhere with a "Trout River" and "Lobster Cove" sounds like a great place.

An epic ride, and outstanding pictures!:thumbsup:

Thanks guys...

I'm sure Lorenzo already has the knobbies and 14/47 sprockets back on the KLX, so we can get back to the business of off road adventure riding next weekend.