Sign in to follow this  

02 CR125, 01 YZ426, or nothing?

Sorry I don't mean to waste anyones time with this but I am having trouble with a decision. I currently own a 03 DRZ400s converted to supermoto with an extra set of rims and DOT knobbies. I bought the bike with the intention of switching back and forth but now that I have it all setup, I don't want to take it offroad (looks too clean). I am now considering buying a bike strictly for offroad. It just so happens a neighbor has a 02 CR125 for $1700 and a 01 YZ426 for $2100. CR125 stock, YZ has Excell rims with Talon hubs, bars, and two exhausts (competion and trail). I plan to ride trail most of the time, but I have always wanted to try my hand at the motocross track. I have never owned a two-stroke but I have always wanted one and I love Honda.

Any comments? Should I suck it up and get my DRZ scratched and dirty and away from motocross or should I buy one of the forementioned bikes and which one. :thumbsup:

Thanks,

I was in the exact same boat.

I could not see riding my SM in the dirt and mud. It is spotless.

My vote goes to ride red as well. Two strokes are fun to ride. Not gonna debate which one is better lol. Just saying two strokes are fun.

I would get the 125 as well. I would try to get it for 15 or so. The 426 sounds nice, but I personally wouldn't buy a 4stroke that old.

Get the 2-stroke, but concider your 34 y/o on a 125 for $1,700. I would say you might think about a cr250. The 125 isn't going to go very fast w/ you on it,but it will make alot of noise :thumbsup:

the yz426's were great bikes. they are very dependable with good maintenance. a 125 can be a good bike also, but i agree with DR you may want a little bigger bike. what is your height and weight? if you got a 125 you may have to spend some coin getting it set up for your weight and riding style. then you may be at the price of a good 250 or 426.

I am 5'9", 165lbs. I was looking at 250's but then this 125 showed up so I have been considering it instead. My thought with the 125 is that it is light and inexpensive. 02 CR250's are going for around $2500 here. It will give me a chance to try motocross and if I decide later two-strokes are not for me I can sell it and not be out much or I can upgrade later. I am actually thinking CRF450 may be in my future next year.

You can go fast on a 125 but you'll need to get used to keeping it revved up. They don't like being lugged around at low rpm like thumpers.

I am 5'9", 165lbs. I was looking at 250's but then this 125 showed up so I have been considering it instead. My thought with the 125 is that it is light and inexpensive. 02 CR250's are going for around $2500 here. It will give me a chance to try motocross and if I decide later two-strokes are not for me I can sell it and not be out much or I can upgrade later. I am actually thinking CRF450 may be in my future next year.

If your just looking to try it out then go w/ something cheaper. A 125 is all pipe, there isn't alot of throttle control for your size. My oldest has one and if I ride it it's like full throttle (And seems to be making noise and going nowhere) or nothing. Your used to riding w/ power so I still trhink the 125 is way to small and a waist of $.........IMO!

Thanks for the opinions. I am now leaning towards an cheap CR250 or possibly the YZ426. I was concerned about the weight, but there is only about a 10lb difference between a CR250 and a YZ426 for 2001.

I just picked up a 2001 CR250 with extras for $1800 in Southern California, land of the overpriced dirt bikes. You just gotta be patient and find the right guy. It helps to try to find bikes that have been for sale for a while (not too long! a LONG time might indicate a problem). The guy had it listed at $2300, and I started right away at $1800, he ended up taking it after I listed off a few problems with the bike that I noticed.

I'd suggest buying the 426F if not a CR250, that's a very good price for a 426 in California, I sold a 2001 YZ426F for $2600 last year, although it did come with extras, not much more than that one does.

Depends on how your neighbor kept them up. :cheers: The 426 would be my choice for trail and track seeing how the AMA pratically killed the 2 stroker and the fact that DNR trails are getting much more strict on what you can ride now :thumbsup: ; But if it hasnt been properly maintained I would go for the 2-smoker. 4's are a killer to keep up with and maintain both physically and financially (and I suppose you can throw mentally in there too on account of how complicated they are :thumbsup: ). 2 strokes are deff. more fun; plus that one is a year newer and alot cheaper. If it hasnt been moded; that leaves it up to you on what you want out of it.

I would take the 426 if it has been maintained; because sooner or later the 125 will be too small/slow :busted: ; if its not already now. But if it was not I would keep looking for a 250 smoker.

Thanks again for the input. I think I will wait a little longer because I have no idea if the 426 was maintained. It looked a little rough, and by how much paint was missing on the frame where boots rub, it probabaly has a lot of hours. It did start easy though and sounded good. I have decided a 125 2-stroke will be just too small.

the 426 sounds like a way better deal for $2100 seeing that they kbb at about $2600 , the 125 only decreases in market value the longer you have one and nobody wants to buy them if you try to sell them plus they are way way less powerfull