Sign in to follow this  

air filter greasing .....

according to the twin air website.. you do not have to grease the sealing area of your airfilter/airbox. im wondering though, how many guys still use a little grease on the airbox before installing their air filter ? especially those of you that ride dusty conditions. thanks guys, scott

I use notoil oil & grease.

I would definately grease the lip. Even if icheap int's not necessary, and I think it is, it's cheap insurance.

I have always used a grease seal as cheap insurance especially out here in the hot dry dusty socal deserts. It has always worked well for myself so "if its not broke dont fix it" is my theory.

CK

Grease, every single time. I also use the no-toil brand. :thumbsup:

good deal guys. i have always used the grease also but figured id ask since twin air claims you dont have to. i do agree ... a little grease is very very cheap insurance. scott

I grease. The extra wiring on my Euro 3 TE interferes with the seating of the filter somewhat so extra care is needed on my behalf to make sure it's on properly. As mentioned, cheap insurance.

Grease it. Be on the safe side.....it only takes a few seconds, but the peace of mind is well worth the greasy fingers! I just use regular automotive axle grease. Cheap, and works great.

Greasing is a waste of time and grease. When you tighten your filter down, the cage smashes the filter lip, normally about 2cm of open-cell foam, down flat and effectively makes it a few millimeters thick , now basically closed-cell. If you get the cage on correctly, grease will do nothing to increase the seal. If you don't get the cage on right, grease won't save you.

I do filter-oil the sealing foam, but gave up on grease a long time ago with ZERO ill effects. Also, no-toil grease is ok if used regularly, but will turn to GLUE and tear your filter upon removal, if it sits in storage for a few months (winter).

Obviously, Twin-Air has done extensive testing and has come to the same conclusion: Grease is a mess and a waste of time, providing no benefit.

So, grease away if it makes you feel better, but it's way unneccesary.

Use grease and do anything you can to keep dirt out of the engine. Twin air

even sells replacement aluminum cages and backing plates to reduce the flex in the air box on some models. Dirt is the enemy!

I only started using grease when I changed to no-toil because it came as a kit. I used to just spray excess filter oil to the seal.

No-toil grease does set like glue after a long time I used it to seal between the airbox and the gauze screen it keeps it in place:thumbsup:

I quit being a greaser when I switched to the Moose air filter, the moose comes with a neoprene lip which IMO does not need grease. For those of you that have not seen the moose filter for the Huskies you really need to chech them out, they are shaped a little different which makes them easier to get in and out and have that groovy neoprene at the base.

Greasing is a waste of time and grease. When you tighten your filter down, the cage smashes the filter lip..., /QUOTE]

Let us not forget the air box backfire screen that comes with our Husky's (my TE anyway). I do know that screen gets bent a bit pulling it out and stuffing it back in, and the idea of putting grease around the screen to account for any gaps that may exist seems like a good idea - as I can't see just how well things are sealing down there. Like another, I use the No Toil (non-grease) grease as it came with the No Toil kit. Better safe than sorry...

Chris

I quit being a greaser when I switched to the Moose air filter, the moose comes with a neoprene lip which IMO does not need grease. For those of you that have not seen the moose filter for the Huskies you really need to chech them out, they are shaped a little different which makes them easier to get in and out and have that groovy neoprene at the base.

+1 on the Moose....had one on my TE450 and it was da bomb.:thumbsup:

Like motobob said do whatever you can to keep dirt out of your engine. Grease only takes a minute, most of the time you get it inthe kits any way and its just that little added insurance.

Greasing is a waste of time and grease. When you tighten your filter down, the cage smashes the filter lip..., /QUOTE]

Let us not forget the air box backfire screen that comes with our Husky's (my TE anyway). I do know that screen gets bent a bit pulling it out and stuffing it back in, and the idea of putting grease around the screen to account for any gaps that may exist seems like a good idea - as I can't see just how well things are sealing down there. Like another, I use the No Toil (non-grease) grease as it came with the No Toil kit. Better safe than sorry...

Chris

There supposedly is a filter that does not need the screen as it was fire resistant. Anyone know who makes it and the part number for Husky TE450/510? Would be nice to be able to yank out the screen and not need to worry about the filter catching fire.