chain and sprocket

i just bought an 07 crf450r yesterday and i rode it for the first time this morning for only 2 hours and the chain is really stretched out and loose. what is a good aftermarket chain and sprocket that i can buy that i will get the most life out of ??? i have a cr125 and i would tighten the chain everytime i rode and all the teeth would break off the stock sprocket cause they are made out of some tin-foil-like material. thanks

do you want x-ring???...if not the same thing is gonna happen again no matter what non-o-ring chain you get

X-ring is nice, but thats not exactly true, I have great luck with Renthal R-1 Works chains. They last me about a month and a half, but thats 3-4 races, and 3-5 days practice a week for a month and a half. I use Renthal sprockets too, they have a new twin ring thats pretty cool. Aluminum center to save weight with steel teeth for durablity.

i have had the first o-ring chain i put on my 03 last 3years of abuse....dust mud rocks water you name it it endured....as a matter of fact i gave the chain to a buddy who has a big cr500 and is running it right now no problems....i took very good care of it and cleaned it in diesel two or three times a year...then doused with white lithium

Diesel huh? Never tried that one, I’ve used kerosene, and metal parts cleaner. They seem to work well, white lithium is good stuff.

I have the same bike and the same problem. I got pretty tired of adjusting the chain after every ride. Also, the rear srocket was already showing a lot of wear after about 20 hours of riding. So I ordered an Iron Man (MSR) steel sprocket set and a top of the line O-ring chain. Just remember that your bike is going to need a spacer behind the front sprocket to keep the wider O/X ring chain from rubbing the case. Fastway makes a spacer for it, but most of the catalogs I order from have stopped selling it. Not sure why. I ended up getting .30 automotive valve spring shims that are perfect for the job. CamP gave me the specs which are .30 thick, .954ID, and 1.312OD. If you cant find a local machine shop that has them you can call K-Line at 800-824-5546 and tell them you need a .30 V.S.I shim, and they can hook you up.

I have the same bike and the same problem. I got pretty tired of adjusting the chain after every ride. Also, the rear srocket was already showing a lot of wear after about 20 hours of riding. So I ordered an Iron Man (MSR) steel sprocket set and a top of the line O-ring chain. Just remember that your bike is going to need a spacer behind the front sprocket to keep the wider O/X ring chain from rubbing the case. Fastway makes a spacer for it, but most of the catalogs I order from have stopped selling it. Not sure why. I ended up getting .30 automotive valve spring shims that are perfect for the job. CamP gave me the specs which are .30 thick, .954ID, and 1.312OD. If you cant find a local machine shop that has them you can call K-Line at 800-824-5546 and tell them you need a .30 V.S.I shim, and they can hook you up.

+1 on the Ironman sprocket pair. I just put them on my '06 with a new RK Xring chain. Just be sure that you keep an eye on your rear sprocket bolts, let them get loose and catastrophe will be knocking on your door.

+1 on the Ironman sprocket pair. I just put them on my '06 with a new RK Xring chain. Just be sure that you keep an eye on your rear sprocket bolts, let them get loose and catastrophe will be knocking on your door.

Yep, for sure. Lock tight is your friend. Thats defineately something you need to check after every ride:thumbsup:

I've never heard of anyone needing to adjust their chain after every ride. I've haven't touched mine and I've had it for six months, I do high speed trail riding, occasional AMA races, and motocross tracks without adjustment.

I've never heard of anyone needing to adjust their chain after every ride. I've haven't touched mine and I've had it for six months, I do high speed trail riding, occasional AMA races, and motocross tracks without adjustment.

Stock chain??

Stock chain??

No, its a d.i.d. I believe. Is the stock really that bad?

No, its a d.i.d. I believe. Is the stock really that bad?
The stock sprockets arent really that bad at all but the chain isnt any better than chain on a bicycle at walmart:thumbsdn:

ya the stock chain is a pos

keep the stock sprokets and get a good chain.

I just finaly had to replace the stock sprokets after 55hrs on track time... I got the new Pro Taper sprokets :thumbsup:

e0588,

A lesson I learned on my '03 - buy a rear Moose Stainless steel sprocket, front Renthal steel sprocket, DID 520 X ring chain and your worries of chain tensioning will be every three months or so (that's riding every W/E too!)

Unless your a pro and the minute weight difference of steel vs. aluminum will affect your abilities:ride:

Don:thumbsup:

btw, plan to do the same on my '07 as soon as the stock chain stretches to max distance (probably another 2 rides).