Get that dancing monkey off your back! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Trouble w/tranny in the middle of a rebuild need experiance insight

First of all thanks up front for any insight to my issue,

01 RM125..

My output tranny shaft snapped on me after landing a jump w/a loose chain,

Just dug in for the rebuild, my first, got it all together and am sure everything is in its proper position, no doubts at all, tranny turns smoothly UNTIL I press the cases together. I get to about 7 mm then a sort of click spot develops when I get the cases completely together and turn the shaft by hand it is smooth but catches slightly at a point, I have to apply a bit more force to pass through it,

I have split and resplit 5 or 6 times trying to correct it to no avail, will this "kink" work itself out as it breaks in and mates or am I missing something? I have search ed the forums and cant find the answer...

Any advise appreciated!

Rune

A little is common, theres just no way of us knowing exactly what you are feeling though. How did you press the cases together? Depending on how you do it, the crank could need to be centered a tiny bit once your done. If you don't have a good case tool, the only way I know is the old rubber mallet blow. The tranny will feel a little notchy, and you have to get the shafts turning to get the gears to change. It's like a old KX powervalve system, you can barely get them to work at all until you get the whole motor back together. Snapping an output shaft had to have been a tremendous load, are you confident that you replaced all the bent/damaged parts?

The tranny will feel a little notchy, and you have to get the shafts turning to get the gears to change. It's like a old KX powervalve system, you can barely get them to work at all until you get the whole motor back together. Snapping an output shaft had to have been a tremendous load, are you confident that you replaced all the bent/damaged parts?

what he said!!!!