out of the heat on the DRZ with a girl in the woods

Thought I'd answer this in a new thread.....

So is it too hot to ride where you are now Harry? We've had a horrible heat wave for over 3 weeks north of you.
Hi Jim! Well, it's been over 100 since June, and over 110 since the beginning of July. I got a couple of rides in recently by heading out at 5:30 am. But I'm not thrilled about riding alone or going out anywhere too remote cause if I had a mishap and had to walk 5 or 6 hours, I'd be screwed as soon as the sun got up in the sky.

My girlfriend/fiance (her name is Jennifer) and I did head north for a couple of days this week. An area of Arizona called Christopher Creek, which is under the Mongollon Rim. Northeast corner of Tonto National Forest. We stayed in a cabin off a forest road. High temps for the day were below 100, but in the early morning it was in the 60s, which felt great! It was the first time I did any woods riding. Roots, fallen trees, moist dirt! (No mud, thankfully!)

First day I rode alone. Mostly 2-track. Not super tight, but it was 2nd and 1st gear riding. I've been wondering why my coolant reservoir hasn't been filling even when riding in the Arizona heat, but here in the woods I managed to get the engine hot enough to fill the reservoir. I wanted to take some pics of the trails, but was having too much fun to stop.

2218.th.jpg2206.th.jpg

Second day, took Jennifer out. She started riding in January and hasn't been out more than 6 times. She'll get comfortable on her bike, but then start going too fast and wipe out in a turn, and then have to start getting comfortable all over again.

We did 40 miles total, about half open forest road, the other half rougher jeep track.

2208.jpg

37156613dc9.jpg

82681908qs7.jpg

11794219mg8.jpg

We got kinda lost at the halfway point in our ride and couldn't find our way out of a rough section. By this time, Jennifer had banged up her elbow pretty good (lots of blood!). She would try and go too slow over the very rocky sections, fixate on the ground, lose her balance and fall. This happened about 5 or 6 times.

2210.jpg

2213.jpg

Being the extremely nice guy that I am, I was getting sick of having to go back and find her and help her off the ground. I started thinking she better learn to just pick up her bike herself and stop whining, or be so seriously injured that I'd have to go and call for a helicopter. After her last encounter with the ground, she told me in no uncertain terms that she had no wish to be out here, and what was I thinking bringing out into this rough stuff?! At which point, unhappy at the anger she was directing at me, I suggested that maybe she'd be better off finding her own way back to the cabin.

Riding with your woman is a dream come true!

2212.jpg

2211.jpg

Well, we rested a while and finally made our way out of the rough stuff and back onto a windy, hilly unmaintained jeep road. I opened up the throttle a little (only a little because at 7000 ft and jetting for 3000 ft, my main jet was useless) and thought I'd put some distance between us. Much to my surprise, when I stopped to wait for her, she comes roaring up not a minute behind me.

For the whole way back, every time I stopped, there she was only a couple of hundred yards behind me at the most. I'd look over my shoulder and see her standing on her pegs in good form as she tore down the road, or watch her carve through a turn with lots of momentum. She'd stop beside me, a smile visible in her helmet, and I'd have to ask: "Who are you?"

We made it back to the cabin after being out nearly five hours. I wasn't exhausted, but I'd had my fill of riding and was looking forward to lunch and a very lazy afternoon and evening. So imagine my surprise when Jennifer suggested we eat and head out again! She was clearly delirious from adrenaline and fresh air. As it turns out, we did do some riding later, but not on the bikes.

All in all, it was a great little getaway. Jennifer is getting a lot more comfortable with how to use her brakes, which as I had to learn is the key to getting comfortable going fast. If she keeps on riding long enough without killing herself, I see a WR250 in her future! In the meantime, I'm thinking Moab at the end of August.

Way to go Harry and Jennifer, looks like a nice place to ride.

Harry I see Jennifer has picked up some parking habits from you :cheers:

Neil. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

PS: What is Jennifer riding.

Very cool pics, thanks for sharing.

PS: Get an Underarmour T-shirt for under your protector. :thumbsup:

Harry I see Jennifer has picked up some parking habits from you :thumbsup:
Ha! You wouldn't be referring to this by any chance?

DSCF0761.jpg

PS: What is Jennifer riding.
It's an 04 TTR125LE. The previous owner did some nice mods: YZ80 forks, BBR long swingarm and frame cradle, and an FMF pipe. I opened the airbox and re-jetted. And bought some tall seat foam and a cover, which I proudly installed myself. Also put on sturdier footpegs and removed the stock shift lever linkage and put on a IMS shift lever.

As for the new plastic I put on, she immediately totally trashed it!

Ha! You wouldn't be referring to this by any chance?

DSCF0761.jpg

Yes that's the one, well one of them.

As for the new plastic I put on, she immediately totally trashed it!

She just wants it to match yours :cheers:

Neil. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :busted:

Great pic's. Not sure that is a happy face on your girl though.

I've seen that same look from my wife of 22 years.

CC

Harry, Nice to have a honey who rides her own bike with you. My wife likes to be a passenger. Not a bad passenger, but, still, a passenger. Glad to see you are teaching all you know about off road finesse. What are you going to do if she finds out your are not supposed to lay it down? :thumbsup:

Nice Harry! Its beautiful up there. Ya got it made! Really..be safe..see ya 'round.

PS get her elbow guards.

I wish I had a girl that I could go riding with. Is she naturally adventurous or did it take a bunch of conviencing? eitherway. right on dude..

Great pic's. Not sure that is a happy face on your girl though.
No, not a happy face at all. But learning hurts!
What are you going to do if she finds out your are not supposed to lay it down? :thumbsup:
At that point, I'm sure I'll be struggling to keep up with her!
PS get her elbow guards.
She has elbow guards, ones that slide off the elbow sometimes apparently! But thanks for the thought!
I wish I had a girl that I could go riding with. Is she naturally adventurous or did it take a bunch of conviencing? eitherway. right on dude..
She's an artist and a city girl and not exactly an extreme sports kind of woman. So it took a BUNCH of convincing. But there's enough about it that she likes to keep her coming back. I figure another year or so of occasional frustration and she'll be right at home on a bike.

Great pics, thanks for posting. Yeah... the solution to the heat as you say is really early morning rides (preferably in the mountains) and being careful to get back before the sun starts blazing. Very cool you got your girlfriend to ride with you and she got into it.

In snowboarding you can always tell the ones starting out that are going to get good.... when they fall, they get pissed off at themselves, curse, shoot right back up and try again. Same with bikes. Looks like you picked a good one :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Nice report,awesome pictures!!!Your womans a trooper for sure :thumbsup: Sounds like over all you guys had some fun,thanks for sharing :busted:
:thumbsup: Nice report,awesome pictures!!!Your womans a trooper for sure :thumbsup: Sounds like over all you guys had some fun,thanks for sharing :busted:

What he said.

cool stuff mate. I should get a bike for my woman so we can go biking. Very good post.

You should feel lucky. I got my wife into riding & she hates sand. Everywhere I ride has alot of sand, so now she only rides on the street. Here's the only pic I have of her in the sand.

DSC03435.jpg

:thumbsup: Damn cool!

My girlfriend/fiance ...

So, uh, which is it? :thumbsup:

In snowboarding you can always tell the ones starting out that are going to get good.... when they fall, they get pissed off at themselves, curse, shoot right back up and try again. Same with bikes. Looks like you picked a good one :thumbsup:

So this is a GOOD thing? dang, guess I've been on the right track all this time after all!!

You should feel lucky. I got my wife into riding & she hates sand. Everywhere I ride has alot of sand, so now she only rides on the street. Here's the only pic I have of her in the sand.

DSC03435.jpg

That sand looks pretty hard packed. Is that why she was out on that day? Had it rained?

So, uh, which is it? :cheers:
Well, she's wearing a ring, so technically it's the latter. But emotionally, I'm still easing into it. :busted:
So this is a GOOD thing? dang, guess I've been on the right track all this time after all!!
Could we possibly expect anything less from a firecracker such as yourself? :thumbsup: :thumbsup: