Sign in to follow this  

chain adjustment bolt

When I try and adjust the chain of my bike the chain adjustment bolt on the brake side doesn't seem to want to move easily. When i loosen the bolt on the other side i can turn it by hand to go in or out. But the bolt on the brake side is a pain to move, when i turn it it squeals like its dry and i sprayed it with wd-40 but this doesn't help. I think i should replace the bolt but i don't want to break it trying to get it out or damage the internal threads in the swing arm. any one ever run into this or and any ideas on what to do.

thanks, Mike.

get some PB Blaster (white can found at any autoparts store or wallyworld) and spray the bolt near the swing arm. let is sit a while.

now you know why these are to be removed upon gaining ownership of a bike and a liberal does of permatex anti-sieze is applied to the threads and nut.

When I try and adjust the chain of my bike the chain adjustment bolt on the brake side doesn't seem to want to move easily. When i loosen the bolt on the other side i can turn it by hand to go in or out. But the bolt on the brake side is a pain to move, when i turn it it squeals like its dry and i sprayed it with wd-40 but this doesn't help. I think i should replace the bolt but i don't want to break it trying to get it out or damage the internal threads in the swing arm. any one ever run into this or and any ideas on what to do.

thanks, Mike.

im guessing you have the bike up on a stand so that the rear wheel is not touching the ground at all, because if you don't and the wheel is touching the ground those bolts will be hard to turn. if it is on a stand try taking the wheel off and getting everything out of the way and taping on the bolt to lossen up any rust or dirt in the threads. then remove the bolt completely and get some oil and grease in there. :thumbsup: