Lost key.....

Alright so I'm off at school with my bike about 100 miles from home, and I can't find my key, so I already hot wired the bike to run... no problem there.

What I do have a problem with is the locking gas cap:banghead: I know I could get somebody to try to find my spare set and drive them out, but no one is around. I have about a gallon of gas left, not nearly enough to go 100 miles with an open yoshi and fcr. Anybody have any insights into the inner workings of the gas cap? I've been playing with it for a while and it looks like theres only 2 tumblers and I should be able to pick it, but no luck so far.

So any advice is appriciated.

...last resort is some fuel line and soda bottle ?

Locksmith?

Call home, get the key code from the little metal tab and have a local dealer cut you a key?

I think (based on my failing memory) the key code is also on the ignition switch. Unbolt it and look at the bottom, may have to remove the rubber sleeve around the lock. Then with the code, a competent dealer can cut you a key.

My 2nd hand plated E only came with one key, no key tag number so I took it to the local locksmith who matched it to a pattern they had listed as Yamaha, got a couple of keys made from the original for $NZ15 (ie ? all $US).

Morale of the story is you don't need an OEM key/code etc.

My 2nd hand plated E only came with one key, no key tag number so I took it to the local locksmith who matched it to a pattern they had listed as Yamaha, got a couple of keys made from the original for $NZ15 (ie ? all $US).

Morale of the story is you don't need an OEM key/code etc.

You do if you do not have the key to copy.......

Alright so I'm off at school with my bike about 100 miles from home, and I can't find my key, so I already hot wired the bike to run... no problem there.

What I do have a problem with is the locking gas cap:banghead: I know I could get somebody to try to find my spare set and drive them out, but no one is around. I have about a gallon of gas left, not nearly enough to go 100 miles with an open yoshi and fcr. Anybody have any insights into the inner workings of the gas cap? I've been playing with it for a while and it looks like theres only 2 tumblers and I should be able to pick it, but no luck so far.

So any advice is appriciated.

...last resort is some fuel line and soda bottle :busted:

if nothing else works................maybe when someone gets home, try to do an overnight, or 2 day mailing to you.

shoot, usps express mail for something that size is probably less than 15 bucks, a lot cheaper than driving 100 miles x 2 ways.

besides, there isn't a dealer around that stocks keys anymore and a locksmith isn't going to cut you a key for a bike you hot-wired & rode in on...........trust me on that one.

good luck man.........

HappyRiding !!

?

Lay the bike on its side. Pull the fuel line off to the carb and stuff a funnel into the open end. Then pour gas into the funnel filling the tank thru the petcock. Would that work?

sounds like a plan ? take it of the bike to get it full. hope u work it out

Thanks for the replies guys, heavy thunderstorms today so I'm not riding back anyway. I was giving the hammer and screwdriver some thought. Might just have the key fed exed out tomorrow I think it would be the cheapest solution.

?