Air filter issues, list em'! (XR600&650R)

A friend and i are having major air filter issues, i with a 00' XR600 and him with a XR650. we have tried almost everything the searches came up with to remedy these issues. If you have had problems or have fixes please reply...

Issue 1.

00'Xr600 bought with a twin air with a steel backfire screen inside it. Not sure what a stock filter looks like or if this is the screen from it or a actual twin air screen. also have uni and experiencing same problem.Problem is in dusty conditions obviously. Dust is getting around the filter and into the motor. actual grains of sand and dirt, not just light dust. Seems the internal cages that the 2 filters have don't posativley engage the steel lip inside the airbox, letting the filter move and possibly lift, letting the dirt in. There is a strip of foam running across the sealing surface of the filter and it seems the foam is suppost to squish around the lip and cage sealing itself. Does the stock filter do this? Is there a strip on the stock filter? is anyone cutting these strips from the filter or modding the sealing surface allowing the steel lip on the airbox itself to slip inside and thus sealing the filter and allowing a good fit? I have tried diff oils and grease on the sealing surface to no avail.

I'm looking at cutting the filters to fit better. Can someone tell me what a stock filter looks like for the 600?

Issue 2.

01 XR650R. Uni filter with grease on the lip. Just removed the air filter after a dusty day of riding and the inside of the airbox is completly coated with dirt and dust. Is the K&N the way to fly with this bike? The motor is smoking pretty badly now. Looked as if dirt was getting pulled through the filter as well as around it, but i'm guessing the back was dirty from the general dust floating around the airbox. How are you guys sealing your airbox on this bike?

What about that foam seal from PC racing? Wht filters actually work?

Any helpful reply is greatly appreciated.

On my bike, I put the K&N filter, rode it off road and then looked beyond the filter into the carb -> fine powder dust! Anybody out there with their solution?

?

I read somewhere that johnny campbell uses a K&N on his baja bike. This is really too bad to hear as my buddy was looking foward to trying one as a last attempt to seal the motor from dirt.

On my bike, I put the K&N filter, rode it off road and then looked beyond the filter into the carb -> fine powder dust! Anybody out there with their solution?

?

I am running a UNI filter, with the internal frame, greased on the outer edge and have had no dirt/dust passage thus far. Has always been clean beyond the filter during filter cleaning intervals. ?

My son and I both use UNI on the 650R and XR600, no problems with dust/dirt/crud getting into the air boot.

Is the uni for the 600 cut or does it have the connecting strip across the middle? Do you just shove it on over the airboot lip? I'm having trouble locating mine to where it needs to sit. And as far as the 650 goes, is there anything you do special when installing it? Since the 650r isn't mine i can't swear to it but the foam just sits in the airbox right?

Is the uni for the 600 cut or does it have the connecting strip across the middle? Do you just shove it on over the airboot lip? I'm having trouble locating mine to where it needs to sit. And as far as the 650 goes, is there anything you do special when installing it? Since the 650r isn't mine i can't swear to it but the foam just sits in the airbox right?

For the 600, I remove the center connecting strip with a utility knife, better fit. Nothing special for the 650, install just like the stocker.

i'm running a k&n on my 600, from what i have heard that the k&n is best for street not dirt. So i thought it would be a good idea to purchase a stock filter, and use only the outer piece of foam that comes on the filter, and put that around the k&n filter. You will have to cut the stock filter all the way around, and use only the outer foam piece.

The UNI filter should have an aluminum cage that comes with it the fits in the filter. Oil it well and use plenty of grease around the edges, especially the bottom left corner(where the drain is). I also coat the inside of the air box with a thin layer of grease to catch anything that may have slipped buy, but its not much.

XR650R - Uni filter without the cage, stock backfire screen, lots of grease around the lip, no dust inside the box. One thing I have noticed is that it's real easy for the the bottom left corner to not seat properly when installing the cover. I get down on one knee and double check when installing the cover.

i'm running a k&n on my 600, from what i have heard that the k&n is best for street not dirt. So i thought it would be a good idea to purchase a stock filter, and use only the outer piece of foam that comes on the filter, and put that around the k&n filter. You will have to cut the stock filter all the way around, and use only the outer foam piece.

Sounds like a good idea. I think I'll try this with my k&N filter. Also sounds like what I am reading that the UNI filter may be good to try. Thanks.

?

For the 600, I remove the center connecting strip with a utility knife, better fit. Nothing special for the 650, install just like the stocker.

FWIW, I have the UNI filter on my XR600R, I almost cut the strip, until I called the UNI-tech phone line. UNI says to not cut it. I didnt and havent had ant fitment, or seal issues

cool, thanks guys, i'm to the point where i'm going to cut my uni and try that. I will pass on the info about the 650r. He's tried grease but he noticed that whenever crashing on the right side dirt tends to get into the airbox so maybe the cover isnt seating well. We'll see what happens...

Well, you're not supposed to crash. ?

I have a Uni w/Uni spray oil in my 600 with a hacked-to-hell stock airbox(I mean parts pop-riveted back on; it's a mess) and a bead of Maxima waterproof grease around the bottom and I haven't noticed any crud getting around nor through the filter.

I am running a UNI filter, with the internal frame, greased on the outer edge and have had no dirt/dust passage thus far. Has always been clean beyond the filter during filter cleaning intervals.

That's what I run...I have found a little secret to help seal the Uni.

1. I bent the inside cage just a little to better match the box.

2. I use a acid brush to run a small amount of Silicone grease into the groove all around the opening were the filter seats.

3. Using a small pocket screwdriver, I slowly run it around the plastic lip inside the box to insure the filter is full seated inside that groove. This has been the biggest help in making sure there are no "leaks".

That's what I run...I have found a little secret to help seal the Uni.

1. I bent the inside cage just a little to better match the box.

2. I use a acid brush to run a small amount of Silicone grease into the groove all around the opening were the filter seats.

3. Using a small pocket screwdriver, I slowly run it around the plastic lip inside the box to insure the filter is full seated inside that groove. This has been the biggest help in making sure there are no "leaks".

I tried the acid brush and grease trick, my cage is aluminum screen and a plastic cage so it won't bend. My filters look like the foam is being pulled inside the lip, and actually leaving a gap around the edge of the filter. It's hard to explain, maybe i can post a pic if i can figure it out. Last time i took the airbox out to clean it since dirt got past my filter and i took extra care to reach in and feel if the filter was seated all the way, it felt good but after 40 miles of dusty trails i found out it was not sealing and alot of dirt got by. I'll see if i can get a pic up to show you what i'm talking about.