Sign in to follow this  

which jet should i use? and i hate the bar choke!

just got a DJ kit for my 96 dr650

i bought a uni airfilter and a yoshi slip on. i plan on leaving the side lid off and removing the snorkle, so should i use the 170 jet?

also does anyone make a kit to get rid of the bar choke assembley? it just doesnt feel right to me...too loose or not helping upon a cold start.

just got a DJ kit for my 96 dr650

i bought a uni airfilter and a yoshi slip on. i plan on leaving the side lid off and removing the snorkle, so should i use the 170 jet?

also does anyone make a kit to get rid of the bar choke assembley? it just doesnt feel right to me...too loose or not helping upon a cold start.

If you are leaving the air box side cover on (very good idea) you will need to modify the air box top per Jesse's site to use the DJ kit. After the air box mod... yes, start with the DJ 170 main.

I agree with MX Rob, Do the airbox mod as per Jesse www.kientech.com and start with the 170mj if you have the yosh pipe on. if stock pipe you may want to stick with the 160MJ as the 170 may be too rich.

sound doesnt really bother me, and this is going to be a street only motard bike so i wont see any dirt or dust so why do i have to do jesses mod and not what dynojet recomends by taking off the cover?

I went down to the local suzuki dealer and asked for a suzuki dr350 pull choke assembly. They gave me one for $10 and it didn't require any mods like the one on Jesse's site shows. It is a little tougher to reach but works fine and is out of harms way.

brian please tell me how hard it is to do, maybe a right up? does the carb have to come off?

sound doesnt really bother me, and this is going to be a street only motard bike so i wont see any dirt or dust so why do i have to do jesses mod and not what dynojet recomends by taking off the cover?

You don't have to. The side cover off noise is not pleasant or cool sounding. In fact, IMO it sounds :thumbsup: compared to the sound of the modified air box. It's very echoy and obnoxious. It will add nothing to the "performance sound" of the motorcycle.... it just sounds stupid IMO. I'd much rather hear the sound of a good exhaust than the noise from the air box cover removed. Of course YMMV. :thumbsup:

Disassembly of the switch on the left handlebar is required to remove the cable from the housing. Then it's a matter of pulling the assembly from the carb which is screwed in. On open end wrench to get it out. I had the carb pulled when I did the swap as well as the tank to remove the cable to the handlebar. Putting the new one in is a matter of screwing it back in, not going too tight because it is a plastic screw.

ok then its a fairly easy task? i should just give it to a pro to install with the jet kit huh?

ok then its a fairly easy task? i should just give it to a pro to install with the jet kit huh?

All you need is some basic tools to do the jetting. You don't really even have to pull the carb to install everything especially if you plan on installing the carb mounted choke anyway.... but its easier if you do.

Here's a list of what you will need:

12mm socket and/or combo wrench

10mm socket and/or combo wrench

#2 point phillips head screwdriver

Flat blade screwdriver for the main jet.

That's really all the tools you'll need to do the job unless someone has replaced any original bolts or screws with after market ones. I can write you up a step by step if you think you might want to tackle it on your own. (You can do it!) :thumbsup:

Disassembly of the switch on the left handlebar is required to remove the cable from the housing. Then it's a matter of pulling the assembly from the carb which is screwed in. On open end wrench to get it out. I had the carb pulled when I did the swap as well as the tank to remove the cable to the handlebar. Putting the new one in is a matter of screwing it back in, not going too tight because it is a plastic screw.

So when you are done the new choke does not need to be removed for carb work? If so I'm off to the dealer

Thanks

So when you are done the new choke does not need to be removed for carb work? If so I'm off to the dealer

Thanks

Nope. It is a bit of a fumble to reach the choke knob especially if you have a larger plastic tank so I've heard.

I have a stock tank and it's not too difficult to deal with. Heck, if you've done the jet kit you rarely have to use the choke anyway. Once installed, it is nicely tucked out of the way but easier to access than my brother's husky controls!

brian i know i am prob bugging you to death but would you mind giving me a step by steap install? i think i can handle the DJ instructions but some for the choke would be great!

also why do i barely neeed the choke with a jet kit? doesnt the choke cut fuel upon cold starts?