Another KTM 690 thread!

Okay,

I'm still breaking it in.

Very fun on two lanes, not so much on the Interstate; too light, and wiggly.

Fuel light (reserve) came on at 128 mi. / 2.7 gallons used (47.4 mpg).

Suspension is getting softer by the mile- time to recheck sag.

Trans is notchy, requires a focused effort, hope it gets smoother with use.

Who has aftermarket parts??? Tank bag? Tail trunk?? Exhaust???

I'd like to try the taller gel seat when it gets to the U.S.

Anybody else? UK guys chime in!

Lynn ?

Hi all,

I concure with most of what has already been said about the 690. The transmission seems a bit notchy, but is getting a smoother. I have had a few false neutrals as well. I am hoping this also works itself out with time. the suspension is quite firm to say the least. The handling is superb. This machine is made for twisty roads in mountain areas. Where I live there is just such an area so it's a lot of fun. Long trips on the freeway can get tiresome because of the lack of protection from wind. I understand KTM has some accesory windscreen so I will be looking at that. One of the things that really impresses me is that this bike tracks straight at all speeds. Previous bikes I've ridden had wobble issues at certain speeds. Whoever came up with the geometry on the 690 knew what they were doing.

Anyone in the Ottawa area interested in supermoto style rides (with me that is) call 613 288 6428 (my work number)

Simon

great bike loving it for in town/city highways.turn in is pure sport bike but my nuts dont hurt when hitting potholes at speed.still running in and restricting self to 5k rpm but the wave of torque at 4500 and up is addictive.one problem is discharge of coolant if the bike is hot,but there is a fix on the way from europe.hope the bike wont be off the road for long !

Okay,

I'm still breaking it in.

Very fun on two lanes, not so much on the Interstate; too light, and wiggly.

Fuel light (reserve) came on at 128 mi. / 2.7 gallons used (47.4 mpg).

Suspension is getting softer by the mile- time to recheck sag.

Trans is notchy, requires a focused effort, hope it gets smoother with use.

Who has aftermarket parts??? Tank bag? Tail trunk?? Exhaust???

I'd like to try the taller gel seat when it gets to the U.S.

Anybody else? UK guys chime in!

Lynn ?

whats a good OTD price in cali?

my dr-z sm was stolen the night before last and i just might go team orange depending on the cost.how aggressive is the maintenance schedule on these new motors?

Prices in California, due to limited availability are usually MSRP ($8599) plus tax / license. As the demand drops, so will rigid pricing.

Maintenance schedule for the 690 is excellent. And performance out of the crate is superior to the DR-Z. But, you'll find that the aftermarket will take some time to catch up. For instance, the KTM UK web sites shows a ton of stuff available, while the US KTM websites have zero.

Lynn

Prices in California, due to limited availability are usually MSRP ($8599) plus tax / license. As the demand drops, so will rigid pricing.

Maintenance schedule for the 690 is excellent. And performance out of the crate is superior to the DR-Z. But, you'll find that the aftermarket will take some time to catch up. For instance, the KTM UK web sites shows a ton of stuff available, while the US KTM websites have zero.

Lynn

how often do the valves need to be checked? i hear its not hard to do on these motors but im just curious because ill be riding almost everyday i put 3600 miles on my dr-z since mid feb.

Spec for valve adjust is every ~6200 miles (shim / collet design). While this is a completely new LC4 motor, I would expect the longevity to be excellent. The older LC4's are known for long life, if run in and maintained properly.

Pick a color and go get one!:applause:

Lynn

Spec for valve adjust is every ~6200 miles (shim / collet design). While this is a completely new LC4 motor, I would expect the longevity to be excellent. The older LC4's are known for long life, if run in and maintained properly.

Pick a color and go get one!:applause:

Lynn

thanx Lynn....i should hear from my insurance adjuster today already prepped the wife for the next purchase.....when this finally happens and i break my bike in, lets go riding!

Yes the Prestige has nice wheels - lighter than standard, different tyres and I think some brake and suspension tweaks but is only £300 more, I wasn't going for one but it just looks nice and smart in Black & Silver.

I have been called by KTM to tell me there is a recall on my new 690. It is to change the cylinder head gasket to prevent coolant leaking out of the overflow.Has anyone else heard of this or had the same problem?It is a bit worrying on a bike that is not yet run in to have to pull the head off.Comments anyone?

Asked my dealer about a recall and they looked on the KTM dealer net (the online dealer facility they use) and no recall in the UK. Maybe UK bikes are not affected. Only thing they were aware of was a change of brake pads, they have changed mine as part of the prep for me picking up the bike on Monday.

My previously mentioned coolant leak has become a factory recall.Apparently there is a replacement head gasket for the 690 to prevent the discharge of coolant when the bike is hot.It takes 6 hours,there is no charge to you as KTM pick up the tab.I was surprised as what had seemed a minor problem means the head comes off a new bike with under 500kms on it.Anyone else had this problem?

I currently ride an '00 ZX-12R and a '03 KLR650. I'm thinking of replacing the12R with a 690SM. I don't need all of the 12R's hp/tq/wt at this stage of my life, but I still want a fun streetbike. I think the 690SM could replace two of what I used the 12R for: fun street rides within my limits and posing for the cops :busted: The third purpose, touring, could done on an '08 KLR650 shodded with 75/25 street tires and waterproofed bags.

I go back and forth with this notion on a weekly basis. Do I buy that nasty looking '07 690SM in black NOW?....or do I wait for the '09 Prestige if there will be such a thing offered in the USA?

The 690SM has almost all I want and need in a street single; FI, slipper clutch, decent suspension and brakes, and a different 'look'...and I think it looks waaaay better in person than on a flat magazine pic, especially in badass black. I won't know about ergos and comfort until I get to ride one for an hour or two...my local KTM dealer said the 690SM demo bikes are not available at this time in my area. Bummer. My heart really wants to buy one, but brain tells me to be afraid of 1st yr problems...and without a long demo ride not sure my 6'0"/250lb carbon footprint will be right for it. It can't be any worse than my KLR650, can it?