Iowa...Nothing happens in Iowa

Hi kids...I'm doing a whirlwind trip to Iowa for a funeral. Never drove this far west but I'm amazed to say that its actually hillier than southern Michigan. Its sort of been like a "garden state" trip. As in the movie. I've met family I've never met or was just a baby when I met them. Heard all kinds of family stories I've never heard before, seen the graves of family members I've only heard of in passing (they are all buried in a tiny cemetery near each other.) so while it may sound morbid to some, its been "neat" to me.

Ok, well just in case anyone missed me, I thought I'd say hi while I hopped on the computer to look up directions to someone's house we're visiting later tonight.

Well that doesn't sound like much fun. Got to do what you got to do though. Drive safe!

It's sad that funerals are often the only time we get to see some family members. It does sound like your trip has had some positives, though!

Wow...what a drive home...I-80 was closed for an accident investigation so we had to get off the H-way, drive around some back roads for a while and then get back on. That took almost 2hrs to go the distance of 3 miles down I-80. Once we left Iowa we didn't see another cop on the highway. When it was just about dark I had the scare of a lifetime. Driving (faster than I should've been) I saw a deer run all the way up to the edge of the cement/grass line in front of me :thumbsup: and then he turned around and ran back into the ditch. I thought for sure I'd be posting deer vs trailblazer pictures today. I made it from Joliet, IL to my house (South of Flint, north of Detroit) in 3.5hrs. Thank you Dear Baby Jesus.

Saw a couple of those deer yesterday morning on the way up to pit for Kris at the Jack Pine. You gotta leave mighty early to be up there by 7am. UGH! Did see a doe and fawn in the median bathed in early morning light... beautiful! It was one of those areas on 10 that is really wide and periodically woodsy... it was a grassy hill they were on. Way cool!

Dad was born in Leads Iowa and mom in Sioux City. I'm quite framilar with Nebraska and South Dakota as well. You are correct, Iowa is pretty hilly. Weird huh?

Yea, I was expecting to see for miiiiiiles across the tops of corn crops and soy beans. I think driving though MN is (away from the Mississippi river) is worse than Iowa. I hears its Nebraska and Wyoming that you see for miles across the horizon...that tru? NW Ohio is kind of like that, but there's enough things right off the highway that it doesn't seem so empty...but equally as boring. TN and Virgina and the Carolina's on the other hand :thumbsup:

I know quite a few people who used to live in Iowa.

For the most part I was bouncing around the 'burbs of Des Moines (Urbandale, Clive) and out to DeSoto...the most exciting part of the trip aside from seeing family...going to the worlds largest truck stop, almost going to John Wayne's birthplace, and seeing a Sonic for the first time in my life...had it not been early in the morning and we not just eaten breakfast at Perkins, I would've stopped for some crazy frozen drink I've been drooling over on TV for years.

Yea, I was expecting to see for miiiiiiles across the tops of corn crops and soy beans. I think driving though MN is (away from the Mississippi river) is worse than Iowa. I hears its Nebraska and Wyoming that you see for miles across the horizon...that tru? NW Ohio is kind of like that, but there's enough things right off the highway that it doesn't seem so empty...but equally as boring. TN and Virgina and the Carolina's on the other hand :thumbsup:

Nebraska is horrid, lol. No scenery at all.

Used to stay at Whispering Waters Resort in MN for a week or two out of the summer growing up.

NE, parts of WY, KS and the eastern half of CO are pretty much FLAT. Yes, you can see for miles and miles. It's very boring. Now and then you see a butte or hill but for the most part the "scenery" is the oil derricks.

I hears its Nebraska and Wyoming that you see for miles across the horizon...that tru?

Yep.

Wyoming is high plateaus, rolling hills, buttes, and mountains.

Western Nebraska is mostly grasslands/ prairie.

I'm from Wyoming originally and plan on going back one day.

When it was just about dark I had the scare of a lifetime. Driving (faster than I should've been) I saw a deer run all the way up to the edge of the cement/grass line in front of me :busted: and then he turned around and ran back into the ditch. I thought for sure I'd be posting deer vs trailblazer pictures today.

I'll have to take a pic of my leg! It was deer vs. bbbom yesteday morning and I'm not sure who won, at least it was a Bambi and not a full grown deer.

Went running with my dogs, who love to spook the deer up which then usually run towards me as I find something to duck behind. They spooked up a fawn and as the poor thing is making a break for it, I'm in the trail trying to figure out which way he's/she's going. He ran straight into my left thigh! :thumbsup: Dang that HURT! So then I'm wondering, where's MOM! So I yell at the dogs again and take off limping/running on down the trail. I chewed the pup out and made her stay with me the rest of the run. The other dog is like a shadow so I didn't have to yell at him. I have a huge bruise on my left thigh, just above the knee. At least the stiffness is about gone.

Stupid DOG! :thumbsup:

So weird...that just reminded me that last night I had a dream that I was crouched down in our back yard and a fawn and momma dear that frequents our pond came up to me and I actually got kinda scared that she was so close to me (those hoofs can hurt!) that I moved and then they freaked and ran away. Dreams are so strange.

I used to make trips to Nebraska a lot growing up. I've got a lot of family there. I remember Iowa being flat. Must have been the section we traveled through.