Sign in to follow this  

How many of you actually sport knee braces?

I just got my CTi2 for my right knee yesterday. Its been in since April, but my medical insurance was extremely late with dealing with my shoulder injury/surgery. I had ACL/Meniscus surgery July of last year. My first impressions of this thing is that it is sweet. Some of the things I've read though have me worried about it. How many people on here have actually had their knee brace(s) break a tib, fib, or femur? It seems like a majority praise them and then a minority strongly suggest otherwise.

i had a set of evs web and they were pretty good other than the straps broke all the time. i have asterisks now and they are on a whole other level when compared to the webs:thumbsup:

I have had the asteriks for over a year now. I know for SURE they have saved me a lot of limping around time. I have had a few get offs and dirt naps where the bike has landed flat on my leg. I NEVER have a knee isue. The protection is great. I guess there is an agrgument for them contributing to a femur break, but I think if you break your femur with the brace on, you probably would have broken it with it off. It takes a pretty good hit to break a large bone. Brace or no knee brace.

I have the evs 7's, and they have saved my knees a couple of times. The are fairly inexpensive and kind of bulky but they work.

My feet came off the pegs over a table and I landed with one foot in a hole, I felt my leg twisting, and it generated most of the force to my hip. I know without good boots (tech 8) and the braces my foot or knee would have been tweaked. My Hip was sore for a few days.

The EVS web boasts built in crumple zones, limiting the possibility of a femur break. Id like to hear from any riders who have had their web brace 'crumple' and if they sustained injury either to the knee or femur. Its an interesting concept, if it actually works as intended, I would be interested in buying. The whole "femur becomes the weak spot" thing in rigid braces keeps me from buying.:thumbsup:

The whole "femur becomes the weak spot" thing in rigid braces keeps me from buying.:thumbsup:

Knee braces have been around since the early 80's in motocross. All the pros wear them.

You’re more likely to twist your knee without a brace than break your femur because of the brace. I never wore a brace untill last year now I wear both every time I ride.

I agree the knee is the more likely damaged area, but the femur break is frightening, and possibly fatal if the artery is broken. I am all for protective equipment thats why Im more interested in the evs webs than the others even though most people say the cti and asterisk are more comfy. I realize you can have this injury with or without a brace, but, if a brace does infact increase the femur risk, Ill just go with shin/knee combos.

Asterisks for me. If I ride without them, I limp for 2 weeks afterwards.

Blown out cartilage and tendon damage from 8 years of skateboarding.

Asterisks for me. If I ride without them, I limp for 2 weeks afterwards.

Blown out cartilage and tendon damage from 8 years of skateboarding.

Asterisks braces on both legs for 5 years now, no more limping around for me.550.00 bucks sounds like a lot, but what does a week off work cost you ? At 45 years old, I coundnt ride if not for the braces, they saved my ass so many times, I lost count. As far breaking a femore, I cant see how a knee brace would have any effect on it.....Moose.

I wore Asterisks since they came out, but after reading the posts and talking to EMTs who work mx tracks, I've sold them and gone back to good knee guards.

A tib/fib break is a major injury that can put you out for a year or more and be life-threatening. A knee injury is minor by comparison.

The EMT I talked to confirmed he has been seeing many more tib/fib breaks than in the past. This guy is also a racer, and also ditched his Asterisks.

I suggest you read the postings in the Health/Fitness thread and make up your own mine.

I'm only 17 years old (have been riding since I was 4). After getting a pair of Asterisks for Christmas, I would honestly never wear anything less ever again. I hurt my knees a couple times last year when I was getting ready for Loretta's, and now that I wear these, I've never had any knee problems. After a ride my knees aren't all achy and what not. I actually feel like I had the ability to run after a ride, instead of needing to lie down due to my achy knees.

Knee braces have been around since the early 80's in motocross. All the pros wear them.

You’re more likely to twist your knee without a brace than break your femur because of the brace. I never wore a brace untill last year now I wear both every time I ride.

do you have a list of which pros wear which brand? or are you just making it up?

i just wear regular knee pads. never had a knee problem on the bike. i personally don't believe knee braces have any real effect on preventing knee injuries, and medical science and research seem to agree with me. plenty of people on this site have sustained knee injuries while wearing braces. they seem to provide a sense of comfort and confidence, but they can't really do much about twisting unless they're too tight for you to even move.

as soon as there is actual evidence that they help i'll be first in line to buy some. and by actual evidence i don't mean someone saying "i know my knee braces have saved my knees".

in the meantime, i find staying light, and keeping the muscles around the knee strong and flexible, and good riding technique to be pretty valuable. I know those things have saved my knees. lol.

note that there IS evidence that knee braces can really help with comfort for people with damaged, unstable or arthritic knees. there's no real argument about the benefit there that i'm aware of, although many doctors suggest that a $500 knee brace is no more effective than a cheap one. the controversy is just about the fact that knee brace makers claim injury prevention, and science does not support that claim so far.

I wear the Thor Force Knee Guards. I ride in rocky areas, all off road, and some real rooty stuff. These knee guards are fantastic in that they are comfortable, flexible, have massive velcro, and straps, and a nice hinged hard knee cap shield, and shin guard. They would do absolutely nothing for a twist I think though. The only problem I have had with these is that the hinge will rub through your pants, and then begin to eat into the tank and graphics on your bike. So. I got some hip pads from some pants, and sewed then to the inside of the knee area on the pants I am now wearing, and it provides for a non-destructive contact area. I have fallen in rocks and roots, and heard the inpact as I hit the ground, when my knee hit the ground.......absolutely no pain whatsoever, and there would have been major consequences without a quality kneeguard.

Mike

I have injured my knees a few times over the years (but no surgery). I decided to start using the EVS Vision knee brace to improve protection of my knees, calf and thighs. I have had good luck with them for 3 years now and they are still in excellent condition. Compared to basic knee pads, the Vision knee brace offers much more coverage and better impact protection from tree branches, rocks, bike parts, etc. The covered hinges give some protection against hyper extension but I think they only give marginal knee support. I find the bottom part of the brace can irritate my shins, so I add a few extra pieces of foam (in my knee high socks) to cushion the shin contact area and inside knee area for squeezing the tank/seat. With this little extra foam padding (for comfort) I can wear these braces all day.

I think the Vision braces are a good compromise. They are a huge step up from basic knee pads but they will not give you the same level of knee support that the more expensive type (true) knee brace can give you, which you may or may not need.

• Like 1

I have a torn acl on my left, and had the cartilage removed, and now when I ride it hurts afterward, I mean the knee is sore, will the brace eliminate the soreness after riding? or is it just to help prevent hyper extention?

I have injured my knees a few times over the years (but no surgery). I decided to start using the EVS Vision knee brace to improve protection of my knees, calf and thighs. I have had good luck with them for 3 years now and they are still in excellent condition. Compared to basic knee pads, the Vision knee brace offers much more coverage and better impact protection from tree branches, rocks, bike parts, etc. The covered hinges give some protection against hyper extension but I think they only give marginal knee support. I find the bottom part of the brace can irritate my shins, so I add a few extra pieces of foam (in my knee high socks) to cushion the shin contact area and inside knee area for squeezing the tank/seat. With this little extra foam padding (for comfort) I can wear these braces all day.

I think the Vision braces are a good compromise. They are a huge step up from basic knee pads but they will not give you the same level of knee support that the more expensive type (true) knee brace can give you, which you may or may not need.

I wear the same type of brace (EVS Visions) for much the same reasons as he does. Tho only difference is that I wear Asterisk knee brace sleeves under my braces (IDK why, but I hate knee length socks, unless worn for hockey).

For what I do (Novice level MX) they work just fine, although I am considering Asterisk braces for next year.

I have a Donjoy brace that I wore because I did something to meniscus playing football. I wear it when I ride and ski and has saved me from what I think would have been some bad injuries.