Sign in to follow this  

my clutch is awsome

i ride my trails and about ten minutes into, my clutch is so hard to pull in. is it time for new clutch plates? im thinking about getting the rekcluse clutch cables to help. but if it is the plates i don't think the rekluse clutch will matter, the plates will still fail, right?

Worn clutch plates slip.

If it gets hard to pull, are you sure it isn't a bit of arm pump? Have you lubed the cable? Maybe try a motion pro terminator clutch cable... alot smoother action with that cable. (or just try replacing it with a stocker, that will improve the feel and its like $15)

Is there fresh oil in the cases? maybe an oil change is overdue..... but the symptom for that is usually poor shifting, not harder clutch pull.

I hope this helps out some,

-Stevo

how is ur clutch awesome if its to stiff??

anyway, my clutch is really stiff too. i tried changing the cable which made it a little better. apparently my clutch basket is all worn, according to my mechanic. so i bought a new moose basket and ill see how that goes once installed.

from nuetral, does your bike jump when you put it in gear? if so then yes it is clutch plates. also does it stall even if you have the clutch in?? these are all signs of clutch plates. also could be that the clutch basket is groved

Worn clutch plates slip.

Stevo

acually clutch plates can also cause the clucth to drag or not completely disingage. depends on how it weres out. the reason i know this is because my clutch came to a point were it would jump when i put it in gear and was just plain stiff. so i did a lot of research to see what it was beacuse usually these symtoms mean a clucth basket. but after replacing the plates and seeing that the basket was fine, the clutch feels like new :thumbsup:

good luck :thumbsup:

acually clutch plates can also cause the clucth to drag or not completely disingage. depends on how it weres out. the reason i know this is because my clutch came to a point were it would jump when i put it in gear and was just plain stiff. so i did a lot of research to see what it was beacuse usually these symtoms mean a clucth basket. but after replacing the plates and seeing that the basket was fine, the clutch feels like new :thumbsup:

Hmm, I wonder what else you did? Maybe a cable, adjustment or etc? Replace the steels as well as fibers?

Worn fibers slip. That's it.

Hmm, I wonder what else you did? Maybe a cable, adjustment or etc? Replace the steels as well as fibers?

Worn fibers slip. That's it.

no i replaced nothing but the frcition plates and the steel plates. this can cause the clutch to drag. I know for a fact because i fixed my dragging clutch by replacing the plates. :thumbsup:

hmm i have all those symptoms. i put the new clutch basket in tomorrow so ill see how that goes. my mechanic said the basket was really grooved so im taking his word for it.

You should see slippage if your plates are worn or warped. Drag is attributed to Hub or basket grooves on the fingers. It is possible that the tabs on your plates that go around the hud have worn enough to start to grab and not allowing it to slide freely to break the Fr plates away from the steel plates. Make sure you check your hub and basket and if not to deep smooth them out with a file will help a lot.

As far as the heavy pull goes the the cable just operates a push rod that pushes the pressure plate away from the clutch plates. The stiffness there can only be the leverage pt of the lever, the cable friction, actuator arm, clutch springs. The plates dont come in contact with any point of the lever mechanics.

post this under a make/model specific forum for your bike next time its in the wrong area off road riding technique is something like body position or how to use the clutch properly in certain conditions you will find more exact help in the model specific forum

hmm i have all those symptoms. i put the new clutch basket in tomorrow so ill see how that goes. my mechanic said the basket was really grooved so im taking his word for it.

yes that is usually the case when you have bad clutch drag, but for my case it was that i had to replace the friction and stell plates.

You should see slippage if your plates are worn or warped. Drag is attributed to Hub or basket grooves on the fingers. It is possible that the tabs on your plates that go around the hud have worn enough to start to grab and not allowing it to slide freely to break the Fr plates away from the steel plates. Make sure you check your hub and basket and if not to deep smooth them out with a file will help a lot.

As far as the heavy pull goes the the cable just operates a push rod that pushes the pressure plate away from the clutch plates. The stiffness there can only be the leverage pt of the lever, the cable friction, actuator arm, clutch springs. The plates dont come in contact with any point of the lever mechanics.

that is exactly it. the basket was in fine shape, and the hub was not warped.

no i replaced nothing but the frcition plates and the steel plates. this can cause the clutch to drag. I know for a fact because i fixed my dragging clutch by replacing the plates. :thumbsup:

You had warped steels. They can and will bind the frictions.

well when i start off, the clutch feels fine. but i also have trouble starting the bike in gear. it wants to launch just a little bit, which makes it hard to start in gear. but its not till i use the clutch cornering really only a little bit after i start riding does it become harder and harder to pull in. so it goes from easy pull to harder pull as i ride. i went out riding two weeks ago to make a new trail and by the end of the 30 minutes it was as stiff as i ever felt.

well when i start off, the clutch feels fine. but i also have trouble starting the bike in gear. it wants to launch just a little bit, which makes it hard to start in gear. but its not till i use the clutch cornering really only a little bit after i start riding does it become harder and harder to pull in. so it goes from easy pull to harder pull as i ride. i went out riding two weeks ago to make a new trail and by the end of the 30 minutes it was as stiff as i ever felt.

Is your cable routed close to the exhaust pipe? Sounds like it might be getting hot and binding.

You had warped steels. They can and will bind the frictions.

correct. i was trying to let him know that this is also something that can cause drag. along with the basket being grooved.

on the other note, i would agree with sandman, if it feels fine when starting off at the begining of the day and gets worse. then it may be the cable, if it had anything to do with the clutch it self it would be noticable at all times.