Sign in to follow this  

Exhaust size

I bought a 2003 DRZ400E with a DRZ400S can attached to the E head pipe. I believe the previous owner must have taken it to an exhaust shop to have the end expanded so it would fit over the 400E head pipe. I want to shrink the S can back to stock (since the mid-mount bolt wont align) and sell the S can. Can someone tell me what the ID (without gasket) should be for the S can? Thank you!!

I would not bother to reduce it. S mufflers are not in demand. Used, wirth maybe $40 if in perfect condition. Only the end cap has any real value.

If you must reduce it, you need to reduce it to be large engough for a S/SM slip gasket to fit. If... your existing setup has no slip joint gasket, then they probably did not have it expanded. The slip joint gasket is about 5/32" thick.

Somewhat relative to this, I have just bought an S model silencer to fit to my 400E. The flange is slightly smaller in radius and the mid mount is 15mm further along the pipe on the S version. What I plan to do is to cut the pipes in half at the weld where the conical section starts and effectively swap them over so I'd have the quiet silencer on the E front section with all the mounts lining up.

However one thing I have noticed on the S silencer, there are 3 spot welds around the middle of the coned section which aren't on the E version. Is this internal baffling, like a reverse cone inside? Has anyone cut open an S pipe to see what the baffling is like?:excuseme: The E version in the UK has no baffling at all, just a spark arrestor, and would wake the dead 50 miles away!

However one thing I have noticed on the S silencer, there are 3 spot welds around the middle of the coned section which aren't on the E version. Is this internal baffling, like a reverse cone inside? Has anyone cut open an S pipe to see what the baffling is like?:excuseme: The E version in the UK has no baffling at all, just a spark arrestor, and would wake the dead 50 miles away!

They hold a set of baffle plates in place.

I ran a UK E silencer for about 12,000 miles, not over loud and no problems with the police.

Yes it is loud if you give it some stick, but you can keep it quiet easily.

I used it with an FMF powerbomb header which is a direct fit using the E gasket, it gave more power than the S silencer, and was also better and quieter than the LeoVince slip on I had before it.

Just remember that you need to replace the glass cloth that is wrapped around the spark arrester from time to time.

Neil. :thumbsup::ride: :ride: