Sign in to follow this  

ready to step up

ok, i love my 2002 ttr 125. its always done everything i wanted it to.....until now. Recently i have started jumping and i want a bike with more power and better suspension. i'm about 5'5" and 125 pounds. i really don't want a heavy bike like the ttr 230. what would be a good bike for me? thanks for any replies.:thumbsup:

You might have to go 2-stroke. If not the CRF150R Expert (not f) will be the ticket. It will set you back $3800. The 150R I hear is awesome. If not in the budget I would look for a used KX100 or even a CR85. Not sure your type of riding. They have power and suspension but not a "thumper". KJR

Arbo55 what have you done to your TTR125 so far?? What kind of riding do you do mostly?? Need to see what you are looking for besides more power etc....:thumbsup:

"Arbo55 what have you done to your TTR125 so far?? What kind of riding do you do mostly?? Need to see what you are looking for besides more power etc...."

Well, i've been afraid of doing any mods to it because i'm afraid i can't get my money out of it if potential buyers think i've tampered alot with it. as for the riding i ride mostly flat tracks(no racing) but a friend of mine owns a track with jumps and my ttr just can't handle it. i like the ttr's torque but i want more top end.

I would go for a yz125 or yz250f, I went from a ttr125le to a 04 yz125 with no problem and I was only 5'2" and 125lbs when I got it. I also have a 06 yz250f and an 06 yz125, you can definitly feel the difference in weight between the 125 and 250f. The 06 125 is way more lighter than my 04 125. The 250f is about 30 pounds heavier. But you shouldent have a problem with a 250f's weight.

I would look into a kx100, yz85 supermini, or like a ktm105. Those will all be great bikes. You can pick any of them up for less than 2K used.

maybe its just me but the two stroke 125's seem purty tall (yz,cr)?:thumbsup:

Yes, I think you need an MX bike, too.

i've been looking at cr's and yz's

250F!!! i was the same size and weight as you when i got my 03 yz250f and came off a xr100. plus i upgraded sorta for the same reasons as you. but i ride mx not flat track.

well i ride mostly flat track but my friend has his own private mx track that i ride on occasionally

Can't say it enough times... go to a bike shop and sit on the bikes... find one you feel comfortable on (height, weight, etc.) that is in the power range of what you are looking for. Then, start shopping used. New bike prices will kill ya! I might buy my next bike new, but that will be IT for bikes for me. :thumbsup: But even then, I'd buy used if the right bike came along.

Can't say it enough times... go to a bike shop and sit on the bikes... find one you feel comfortable on (height, weight, etc.) that is in the power range of what you are looking for. Then, start shopping used. New bike prices will kill ya! I might buy my next bike new, but that will be IT for bikes for me. :thumbsup: But even then, I'd buy used if the right bike came along.

thanks for the advice.i don't think i plan on buying a brand new bike just yet. I think i like the yz 80's alot:thumbsup:

CR125 or YZ125. The yz has the better motor than the cr (current bikes) but personally I enjoy the cr even if it isnt the fastest and peppyist bike out there. If you are into racing I would go with the yz, but otherwise I would go with the CR. If your looking for a trail bike, I would look into the KDX200. Its a 2-stroke with lights and is street legal. Very nice machine.

maybe its just me but the two stroke 125's seem purty tall (yz,cr)?:excuseme:

how tall are you? I thought that too when I was looking, but once you get on them you seem to get pretty comfortable and enjoy the height. There are tons of things you can do to lower the bikes; the ones at dealerships are usually set as high as they can go. You can shave the seat, lower the suspension or, install a lowering linkage. Im 5'3 and ride the bike with an inch clearance on both sides; and besides stopping I seem to have pretty good controll over the bike. If your younger and still growing it might be worth it to get the taller bike now; you will regret it later if you dont. I wouldnt go for a 2-stroke 80/85 they are about the same top as the ttr, just a different powerband. I was riding with one of my buddies on a 97 CR80 and I was on an 03 TTR and I was passing him.

CR125 or YZ125. The yz has the better motor than the cr (current bikes) but personally I enjoy the cr even if it isnt the fastest and peppyist bike out there. If you are into racing I would go with the yz, but otherwise I would go with the CR. If your looking for a trail bike, I would look into the KDX200. Its a 2-stroke with lights and is street legal. Very nice machine.

i just recently rode my friends 1997 cr 125 and i loved it. after i've thought about how long a 125 would last me i've decided to try and find a good deal on a yz 125.