Cylinder

it depends on what your looking to do but if you just want to machine a couple of thousandths off the gasket suface it shouldn't be a problem. i have my local machine shop fly cut my cylinders and i've never had a problem

Does anyone know if you can machine a cylinder head at a machine shop? Im not too sure if you can, on account of the sleeve and the aluminum and steel together. ?

Well, do you speak of the head, or the cylinder? Usually, to clean up the head mating surface on the top of a cylinder, many shops will use a large flat belt sander. They just lay it on the belt. It works real well, and cost very little. They use it for cleaning up automotive cylinder head gasket surface all the time.

Does anyone know if you can machine a cylinder head at a machine shop? Im not too sure if you can, on account of the sleeve and the aluminum and steel together. ?

Yes....you can get away with having it milled a little. If you have to go very much you can double up your base gasketts to make up the diffrence.?

Damn...is this on your bike you just got? :cheers:

? yes. Put a new cylinder head on it, gasket and base gasket; only to find that it still leaks. It must be that the cylinder is bad as well; Even though the head was :busted: So Im trying to get out of buying a new cylinder, though I still may have to and Im just going to re-do the top while Im down there. ?

? yes. Put a new cylinder head on it, gasket and base gasket; only to find that it still leaks. It must be that the cylinder is bad as well; Even though the head was :busted: So Im trying to get out of buying a new cylinder, though I still may have to and Im just going to re-do the top while Im down there. ?

dang, that sucks!

Find out what some good local shops are in your area, but dont' rule out engine builders from other places. I'm sending my cylinder off to http://www.jbonemotorworks.com/ when it's time to be replated. You might see if he can do the work you need, and how much it costs.

If it is the cylander itself, then you have to pull all the studs in order to machine it flat. It is fairly unlikely that the cylander, itself is that badly warped. Possible, yes, but not the first place I would look for the trouble.

If the cylander got that heated up that it warped, there is likely other cylander damage....as in being out of round and other probs.

It is also not uncommon after way over heating the motor to the point where it needs work like this, that you can blow a main seal in the bottom end.

Try replacing the gaskets and using ThreeBond 1211.

I know the Cometic gasket set, the top end and the complete gaskets set....the head gaskets suck, for some reason, on the KX500s. It leaks no matter what you do.

peace,

janette

well I got my diagnosis.

Luckily my bike will make a full recovery ?

Its going to the machine shop on monday, to have its head shaved and then the guy will tell me if I can scrape a bore or if I need a new sleeve. Then its a piston kit and then I should have a bike with a fresh top end.

The shop told me the crank and seals look excellent! Very little wear at all. Actually he was surprised to hear that it had not been replaced. :worthy: Thank God. One thing that has gone right.

Hopefully I will be riding very shortly. This whole thing has taken 3 weeks. 3 weeks now Ive had this bike and havnt been able to ride it; after 15 months of saving and looking. ? Once its put back together though I hope it will be worth it! :ride:

In the meantime though Im going to take a long shot and invest in two more bikes, an 1979 YZ250 and a 8? YZ125. The 250 was running but now is not getting spark (CDI possibly?) and the 125 the guy has no idea about; the bikes were his brothers. The 125 is in the 80s because it has a mono shock and the orginal intent was to take the motor out of the 250 and put it in the 125 frame. So hopefully tomorrow I am going to take a ride to go look at them. Fun project I thought (Just another one to add I also have a 1954 International Pickup I am trying to restore) if I can get them both running I can have a couple more bikes around...and who couldnt argue with that? ?

My cousin just recently picked up an old YZinger (1970-something, yellow, twin shock). Saw a guy push it out by the road and he stopped. The guy's kid bought it brand new (or he did, not sure of the story), rode it once, crashed it, and it set in the barn (garage?) ever since. My cuz picked it up for either $100 or $200!!! Oh man is it sweet!

And I feel for ya... been over a month without mine. Hubby's buddy is making a pipe for it... he's going to sell them, so he has to make jigs and stuff to be able to reproduce it... so it is taking a bit of time for that. He's also boring and stroking it. Should be a blast when I finally get it back... whenever that is!! (but I am trying not to complain, cuz I'm getting the pipe and labor FREE!)