Sign in to follow this  

250 XCF-W... street legal question?

Earlier today, I went to the KTM dealer. I had an opportunity to sit on a new 250 XCF-W right after getting off my 200 EXC. The 250 XCF-W felt light for a 4-stroke. I was considering a Husky TE250 as my next bike but I really want the KTM. My only problem is that I need a tag. If the 250 XCF-W came street legal from the dealer, I would have left with it today. Does anyone know if KTM has plans to make this model street legal anytime soon? :thumbsup:

the 250 is considered too small for dual sport and KTM has no plans to make it street legal. You could do it yourself with parts from other KTM models, or Baja Designs, but it really depends on where you are trying to get the bike licensed. I dont know what the requirements for NJ are.

Don't know how well you know your dealer, but mine got me a street title for mine. I just haven't put the lights and stuff on. Not sure if I ever will. The bike itself is capable on the road as it has a tall 6th gear and can easily be geared up a bit more with a 14T counter or 50 year. I just wouldn't use a 250f for extended street riding or serious long dual sporting though.

I need a tag to ride in our state forest... that is all. I would never ride it on the street.

NJ is a tough state to convert isnt it?

If so, a TE250 is a smokin' sweet bike. I would own one in a heartbeat.

I need a tag to ride in our state forest... that is all. I would never ride it on the street.

You can get the KTM's license platted. You just have to add all of the other stuff (horn, mirrors, etc.) for the 250.

You can get the KTM's license platted. You just have to add all of the other stuff (horn, mirrors, etc.) for the 250.

Not in NJ.

Not in NJ.

If I remember correctly, Jersey had emisions testing, that could be your biggest issue.

If I remember correctly, Jersey had emisions testing, that could be your biggest issue.

Actually, NJ does not have emissions testing for bikes. After 2005, they started requiring visual inspection of the EPA stickers. This is why you see so many new Huskys in NJ. I have a 2004 200 EXC that is tagged. I will hold on to that as long as possible. However, I do enjoy a new bike every couple years so I guess my next one will have to be a TE250. If Yamaha made the WR250 street legal or Honda the CRF250X, I would go with one of them. :thumbsup:

California is seriously cracking down on bikes that got a plate via an unrestricted MSO but haven't met DOT standards. Oregon and Washington are hot on the heals of Commiefornia.

I like the lower seat height of the KTM's but really need the plate. There are many loops in Washington state, Foggy Dew comes to mind, where you have to ride a FS road to get back to camp, 5 miles, or retrace a 30 mile route. Most of the time it isn't a problem but if you happen to run into that jerk cop, you are out of luck.

Greg