Oil Change Question. Probably basic

Ok, I have upgraded from an xr 400 to 06 crf450x. I see that the oil changing process is different, but I get the basic gist. Just not 100% sure what to do.

Questions:

1. Which oil to use in each side. 1040 and atf?

2. how much with filter change and how much without filter change

3. Just fill, and check level? or Fill, cycle engine, check?

Do you have an Owner's Manual? Please go through it more than once whenever you have service questions....It is an excellent guide to basic maintenance so if you have one read it and if you don't get one. IMHO Honda is the only manufacturer to actually put out a manual we can read and undertstand:thumbsup: I guess all that bitchin' we did in the 60's and 70's paid off:applause:

As you know, there are two oil "sumps" on the CRF450. One is gear oil side and the other is motor oil. Changing oil on the CRF is different but easier on the CRF and that's good because it should be done often:prof:

The engine will take about 700cc without a filter and 750cc if you put in a new filter. If your engine is fully broken in I recommend a quality full synthetic or semi-sythetic oil on that side with moly. I use Honda full synthetic which is 10-30 not 10-40 and recommended by Honda as the best oil for engine protection during extreme operating temperatures and RPMs. I only use this oil once the rings are fully seated. If you use it too soon they won't seat for a long time and maybe never:rant:

On the transmission side, I use a full quart of Honda red bottle 2 stroke 85W gear oil.....It works GREAT and will keep your gear box and clutch in great shape....The book calls for 700cc (I think) but most of us on '05 and early '06 450X run a full quart:blah:

Get in the habit of checking of checking all your vital fluids before every ride and during longer rides....I know I'm going to get slammed for saying that but nevertheless it is a good habit to have....:thumbsup:

Most of all, welcome to TT and the world of the 450X. I'm a dick but most of the normal people on here are very nice most of the time:excuseme:

Changing the engine oil is something that we all do, I was using a funnel with a hose to fill the engine with the specified amount of oil but I had a better idea, actually Billy Who had the idea, but no way am I going to pay $29.00 for a couple of plastic bottles.....There is a cheaper alternative....The Dust Devil "Killer Engine Filler"

This is what I used before, $3.00 at Walmart, it worked good, but I wanted something better.

oilchange006.jpg

Enter the Dust Devil "Killer Engine Filler"

oilchange009.jpg

Conveniently labeled

oilchange010.jpg

Now for the magic...

First using your modified man funnel and a 1.5 liter Aqua Fina bottle, drain oil from engine.

oilchange002.jpg

oilchange003.jpg

oilchange004.jpg

Don't forget to use provided shield to drain all oil, press down on the kill switch and crank engine over several times, wait a minute or so and repeat...

oilchange005.jpg

Spray bolt and washer off with carb spray and start....use your hand to start bolt!!! If you encounter ANY resistance STOP, the bolt should thread in without any resistance....do not cross thread, just sung it up good, no need to ham fist it.

oilchange011.jpg

Clean off any mess with carb spray

oilchange012.jpg

Remove dipstick and clean area of any dirt before filling.

oilchange013.jpg

Fill your Killer Engine Filler with 700cc's of the good stuff ( I like Maxima Extra 10/40 OR 15/50) and add to engine.

oilchange014.jpg

Put bike on stand to get flat, warm engine up for a few minutes, turn off and let set for a minute, then check oil level, just dip the dipstick, do not thread into engine. Top off if needed.

oilchange017.jpg

The MVP's

Maxima Extra, Carb spray, Modified Man Funnel, 10mm T-Handle and the Dust Devil "Killer Engine Filler"

oilchange016.jpg

I use a cardboard box and some old oil containers to store oil until I take it to Kragen to recycle.

oilchange015.jpg

Happy Trails.

HAHAHAHA! Perfect, DD:applause: :thumbsup:

How much are the Dust Devil "Killer Engine Filler" bottles?

How much are the Dust Devil "Killer Engine Filler" bottles?

Oh im sure I have one with your name on it....bring a 12'er buy and pick it up......

Oh im sure I have one with your name on it....bring a 12'er buy and pick it up......

I'm still in Colorado, but when i get back in Barstow i am going to stay in my Toyhauler with my bike. So have one ready. :thumbsup:

arent you supposed to trow the aquafina bottle in the trash now???

oilchange015.jpg

arent you supposed to trow the aquafina bottle in the trash now???

oilchange015.jpg

I re-use it over and over.

Wow!!! Thank you guys very much. I just read >2000 threads before i checked back to see all the action on mine. The only thing I don't see in the pictures is the filling of the tranny. I assume after you add the 700-750 to the engine, you add the 1qt of oil to the tranny right? with the check bolt out?

Also, I don't have my manual yet... about a week

Also, i have read many different things in the forums about oil in the tranny. I went to the auto store today and purchased castrol (i think or other big brand), 10-40 4stroke dirtbike oil. Says "superior wet clutch protection". Should I feel safe with this in the tranny or should I go buy the 85 weight?

Wow!!! Thank you guys very much. I just read >2000 threads before i checked back to see all the action on mine. The only thing I don't see in the pictures is the filling of the tranny. I assume after you add the 700-750 to the engine, you add the 1qt of oil to the tranny right? with the check bolt out?

Also, i have read many different things in the forums about oil in the tranny. I went to the auto store today and purchased castrol (i think or other big brand), 10-40 4stroke dirtbike oil. Says "superior wet clutch protection". Should I feel safe with this in the tranny or should I go buy the 85 weight?

you can find a bottle that looks like "Killer Engine Filler" bottle at honda and just use the full quart of that

Of the 85 weight? ok... i see, can I get it at the auto parts store? what do you think?

is the patent still pending?

Of the 85 weight? ok... i see, can I get it at the auto parts store? what do you think?

Don't ya have a Honda shop near you?

Dust Devil how do you keep from losing all your spray bottle straws on that shelf. I have to remove all mine and put them in their own draw. I change my oil same as Dust Devil only I measure the amount I am putting in from the original quart bottle to a small funnel, although it is a bit harder to subtract an amount from the original bottle then pre-measure in a separate container (premix). I have to admire how clean your bike is, more then your average clean bike (mine), I'd almost feel comfortable buttering my bread on the side of that engine case. Clean!

:thumbsup:

Dust Devil how do you keep from losing all your spray bottle straws on that shelf. I have to admire how clean your bike is, more then your average clean bike (mine), I'd almost feel comfortable buttering my bread on the side of that engine case. Clean!

i hear that DD isnt really a dust devil, but a devil of cleanliness:eek:

about an 1.5 hours away

NO leave the check bolt alone and just drain, and re-fill with a quart of the proper stuff, I like Maxima MTL or Honda Red Bottle.

Dust Devil how do you keep from losing all your spray bottle straws on that shelf. I have to remove all mine and put them in their own draw. I change my oil same as Dust Devil only I measure the amount I am putting in from the original quart bottle to a small funnel, although it is a bit harder to subtract an amount from the original bottle then pre-measure in a separate container (premix). I have to admire how clean your bike is, more then your average clean bike (mine), I'd almost feel comfortable buttering my bread on the side of that engine case. Clean!

I just never throw the straws away...they are laying around all over the place.

Look at the first picture of the post, I used to use that funnel from Wal-Mart, it was pretty handy as it has markings for amounts on it and a valve, the bottle method is just even eaisier.

As far as the clean......Buy some S100 all you have to do is spray it down and rinse it off, keeps the bike looking showroom clean.

As far as the clean......Buy some S100 all you have to do is spray it down and rinse it off, keeps the bike looking showroom clean.

Where do you find this product?