Sign in to follow this  

Top out issues

I have a 2005 yzf250. The issue I am having is: When wheeling over obstacles (whenever the front is in the air) I feel the forks topping out. It is a harsh clanking. Are there top out cones that wear out?

It has just started happening. I had the forks serviced (new oil, new seals, new bushings).The local shop did not recognize any real problems.(but that is the only guy I may question) I replaced the front wheel bearings, and check the head set bearings.... all the bearings are still good and greased.

On the stand I can lift the front wheel..... when I let it down I can feel it top out.

Am I looking forward to catastrophic failure resulting in injury and death? or am I ok to ride on this?

WHAT could the problem BE??? I'm goin nutz trying to find it.

Thanks for any responses,

Stevo

The '05 forks are very difficult to get bled right. If this just started happening after a service then you better take them back and have them check it.

doc

• Like 1

The '05 forks are very difficult to get bled right. If this just started happening after a service then you better take them back and have them check it.

doc

I agree with Doc

I agree with Doc

I agree with Doc and Russ

PK

I agree with Doc and Russ

PK

I agree with PMK, Doc, & Russ. :thumbsup:

Thanks for the responses guys. It was actually doing this out of the blue one day. THEN I had the forks serviced.

Are there any parts that can wear out and cause this? It just started happening about 25 miles in on a 45 mile ride.

I had the forks serviced in April, but had ridden about 800 miles since then. I'm sure they were over due for oil, and NEEDED the bushings replaced.

The only thing i can think of is ,if the fork springs are hanging up on something and so acting like lots of preload, the answer is they need to be taken apart and inspected again.

• Like 1

Air in the cartridge, or the damper rod is coming loose from the rebound base bolt?

• Like 1

Thanks a ton for your input; EVERYBODY. It sucks that I won't get to ride until this problem is solved! I'm taking the forks back to the shop on monday so they can be taken apart and inspected/fixed. When I find out what is wrong, I will be posting an update..... It sucks that these fancy new fangled forks take so many special tools to take them apart...... I hate going to the shop for anything other than oil. (I had previously done the maintenance on ALL my bikes)

I agree with my wife. That comes after years of learning the hard way.:thumbsup:

I agree with Kevin:thumbsup:

doc

I'm still not gonna tell her she was right, though

Never give them ammo you don't have to.......:thumbsup:

doc

UPDATE:

The guy that did the forks has moved out of town.... to go teach at MMI in Florida. SOOOOOOOO, I got to talking with the suspension mechanic at the dealer/shop. To make a long story short here, he's going to tear them down and let me know whats wrong.... we suspect that there is air in the cartridge. They also had some interesting stories to tell about the original guy to do the servicing, and will let me know if the bushings were indeed replaced.

TO BE CONTINUED; TOMOROW

Without being too harsh......... Butler Raceworks.

I just sat with the mechanic and we took my forks apart, well at least one of them tonight. The spring was in correctly, but the top and bottom collar/spacers were backwards. The oil in the inner chamber (the reason I brought them into his shop in the first place) was FILTHY.... I suspect it was NOT changed. The bike was ridden VERY easily for about an hour teaching a new rider how to shift/brake on a kx100. The teflon ring on the rebound had been step cut, for removal? There is no reason to remove that ring. It turns out that the top out was caused by air in the inner of the twin chamber. With a THOROUGH cleaning and fresh oil, and bleed, the problem is gone.

I FRIGGIN' pissed! After I had the service work done by Dan.... I tried to call him to let him know of the problems (give him a chance to make good on a simple mistake). All of his contact numbers (including cell phone) had been disconnected. And now, he's going to be TEACHING... at M.M.I. in Orlando.

I hope he doesn't teach poor business practice...

Enough of my rant............

Update to come...

UPDATE:

The guy that did the forks has moved out of town.... to go teach at MMI in Florida.

Let me know if you need any help.......MMI is less than an hour from my shop. Maybe we can track the guy down and let him have a chance to stand behind his work. Unfortunatly I see a lot of "suspension work" like what you got come in after some "suspension tuner" did his magic:bonk:

Hopefully with great forums like this and all the good tuners helping here things like this will start happening less often:thumbsup:

doc

Alright, now I've got both forks back. They both had the same problems. Do I need to replace the whole rebound shaft/piston, or do they make a teflon replacement ring for those? They both have been "step" cut, and they were both not seated correctly. I fabricated some new ones from teflon material, but I don't know how well they will stay in place on the rebound piston. I am not one bit happy about this situation.

Can anyone tell me why they might have been removed?

Thanks

Stevo