Sign in to follow this  

Old biker.. trying to find my groove

Hey guys,

I've been lurking... not only here but in the showroom. I'm not new to the sport but been out of it for about 30 years. I've owned my share of bikes over the years... mostly MXrs, and one Yami RD400 Daytona Special.

You won't believe this, and please don't chastise me -- six years ago I cleaned out my garage to make room for my Race Hemi car and I gave away my 1978 Wheelsmith Maico 450, complete with Fox Air shocks. The bike was in excellent condition -- I miss those good old days, and that Maico was sort of special. Only weighed 216 lbs... super light for a big bore.

However, today is a new day -- 2-strokers are out and thumpers are in. I'm looking at either a Suzuki DRZ400S or Husky TE450 or TE510. Although I'm used to riding 250 and 450 2-strokes.. and I realize big bore thumpers are different animals.

Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated -- I want a street enabled bike that can pull the front wheel off the ground by simply rolling the throttle. Keep in mind, in my youth, I was the neighborhood wheelie king -- I could take my 1976 Suzuki RM250 down the street from 2nd through 5th gear on the rear wheel.

Not that I would do something like that now... age has kinda mellowed me out so to speak. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

a. Shame on you for giving away a Wheelsmith Maico.

b. The drz can not and will not lift the front wheel with just a roll-on. You'll have to look into one of the high $ Euro dual-purpose bikes if that's what you want.

c.If you ride the drz off road,you will be pleasantly surprised with the suspension,handling and smooth power compared to a '70's era bike,even with its 50/50 tires.

d. Did I mention shame on you for giving away a Wheelsmith Maico?

You sound like a mature gentleman like me (more the former than the latter in my case). I recently owned an XR 650 L and a DRZ 650 SE. I just bought the Beemer G650 X. It will loft the front wheel easily and manageably. The Honda and Zuki took more effort and drama to do the same. I think the difference is the BMW's fuel injection. Power delivery is very smooth.

FWIW

If I'm reading what you want in a bike right you should seriously consider something like a dual sported XR650R....You can find a used one in excellent condition all set-up for a fraction of what you would pay for a new less capable far less reliable machine. Then you can reintroduce yourself to dirt bikes and be street legit while you are looking for something else you like more. Just a thought.....Welcome back

When asking this , your height and weight are neccesary.....what kind of riding...?? Tight technical singletrak..??? or open forest roads..???

I like the Ktm 525.......E start...street legalable...many out there for parts availability...Plenty of power...Bunch of nice used ones out there..find a creampuff..

It sounds to me like you really need two bikes. Pick up a used 250 smoker for the dirt. You will be surprised at how far they have come, and they are still very legit off road/woods weapons. They can be had for less than 2K in great shape, and you won't have any of the high dollar 4 stroke worries. For the street, lots of wheelie capable used sportbikes are available.

Hey guys,

I've been lurking... not only here but in the showroom. I'm not new to the sport but been out of it for about 30 years. I've owned my share of bikes over the years... mostly MXrs, and one Yami RD400 Daytona Special.

You won't believe this, and please don't chastise me -- six years ago I cleaned out my garage to make room for my Race Hemi car and I gave away my 1978 Wheelsmith Maico 450, complete with Fox Air shocks. The bike was in excellent condition -- I miss those good old days, and that Maico was sort of special. Only weighed 216 lbs... super light for a big bore.

However, today is a new day -- 2-strokers are out and thumpers are in. I'm looking at either a Suzuki DRZ400S or Husky TE450 or TE510. Although I'm used to riding 250 and 450 2-strokes.. and I realize big bore thumpers are different animals.

Any advice to steer me in the right direction would be appreciated -- I want a street enabled bike that can pull the front wheel off the ground by simply rolling the throttle. Keep in mind, in my youth, I was the neighborhood wheelie king -- I could take my 1976 Suzuki RM250 down the street from 2nd through 5th gear on the rear wheel.

Not that I would do something like that now... age has kinda mellowed me out so to speak. :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance.

If you want street legal and something that will pull the wheel with just rolling on the throttle, the Husky's are sweet bike... also, KTM has street legal versions og the 450EXC and 525EXC.

Depends if you need it to be street legal, if so a KTM 450or 525 EXC. If not then any 450 offraod or motocross will do.

b. The drz can not and will not lift the front wheel with just a roll-on. You'll have to look into one of the high $ Euro dual-purpose bikes if that's what you want.

c.If you ride the drz off road,you will be pleasantly surprised with the suspension,handling and smooth power compared to a '70's era bike,even with its 50/50 tires.

That's what I thought .. I like the DRZ but 300 lbs. makes it sort of a heavyweight. I'm not used to riding anything over 220lbs -- much less riding something heavy with a radiator.

If you want street legal and something that will pull the wheel with just rolling on the throttle, the Husky's are sweet bike... also, KTM has street legal versions og the 450EXC and 525EXC.

I looked at the TE450/510 .. lightweights compared to the DRZ. They appear to be making improvements. I've never owned a Husky .. I'm not too sure about 08s with FI...

Also, I thought Penton's were supposed to be green or blue ?.. maybe I'm thinking another decade. I'm a purist at heart ..

and for the record I'm 5'10", 185lbs -- not too bad for a 50 year old geezer.

Anyway, thanks for the input.

I think you would be very happy with an uncorked KTM 525 EXC, and its got a plate if you buy and '07 or '08, second choice would be the Husky.

Well....C6 DNA....I would get a nice used dual sported 650R and play with it until you figure out something better....You'll have a blast on it and it will be running long after the crank falls out of the Euro bikes. The 650R curbs at 277# and is still a competitive desert racer in the right hands. That's a fact.

I don't know if you can get away with it in Cali or not; but my neighbor just got a Honda CRF450X made street legal. With a couple of mods and a change of pipe, it will do roll on wheelies with no problems and still is a great trail bike. I wouldn't want to try and go 100 miles on the street with it. But, it makes a great local bike on the street. He's about your same height and weight.

• Like 1

Great idea but it is illegal in the "Peoples Republic of California". They are actually showing up at peoples houses and taking the plates from "dual-sported" X's and other bikes.

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance.

You can't go wrong with the te510. The parts and lobour warranty is good enough reason to buy one of these "Porcshe's"of the dirt bike world.Thats my 2 cents worth.

With your experience level it's a Husky or KTM EXC. You wont be happy with anything else. And more importantly, ya still got the RD?

You can't go wrong with the te510. The parts and lobour warranty is good enough reason to buy one of these "Porcshe's"of the dirt bike world.Thats my 2 cents worth.
With your experience level it's a Husky or KTM EXC. You wont be happy with anything else. And more importantly, ya still got the RD?

Thanks guys, I think that's what I wanted to hear... I've always leaned toward European bikes anyway -- the TE510 is probably my ride.. not sure if I should wait for the FIs in '08.

and, sorry to say, the RD is long gone... sold that pristine jewel back in 1982 or thereabout.