About to buy an 07 250F, quick question

I plan on using the bike to continue racing hare scrambles here in Fl. So far, I am leaning toward the WR but I would like to know if the suspension is as up to date as the YZF's is. Dont the WRs get the YZF suspension from a few model years back? The main reason I'm getting an 07 is beacause of the YZFs I have ridden, the suspension is incredible and allows a much more aggressive charge through the whoops, ruts, etc. I dont want to be dissapointed with the WR's suspension but the button and the other offroad features appeal to me as a woods racer, I dont ride MX very often.

Maybe a better way to put this is: can the WRs suspension, if desired, be modified to match the YZfs fairly easily or is it a previous generation design?

About to return from 3 yrs on the dark side! (2 strokes) I'm tired of them.

I got my YZF for racing HS. IMO it's better suited for racing, whereas the WR is more of a trail bike. Softened up a couple clicks, the stock suspension was fine for offroad.

If you're fast/aggressive, I think you will be disappointed in the wr suspension for racing. You lose the e-start with the yzf, but mine starts first kick and is easier to kick over than my 2T because of the auto-decomp. Just add some handguards and a skid plate and you're good to go.

2strokes are the dark side.. pfft. :thumbsup: Blasphemer!!

2T's are the only way to fly...

...though, I rode an RMZ450 today and...

The WR has a softer suspension and a lower gear ratio. The WR wont be able to handle big jumps as well as a YZ because of the softer suspension and heavier weight, but the lower gearing and electric start would be nice to have for HS racing.

I think a WR would be just fine for HS.

Bark3rd, when did you move to FL?

hey Old N Bold, guess you are a Storm guy? I remember your screen name but dont remember what your rel name is! I moved to Florida in June 05, been racing the FTR hare scramble series. I ended up buying a new 07 WR 250 today!!! Woo hoo!! I was going to get a YZF but the dealer ran out so since I was on the fence anyway I went ahead with the WR. Ive alays wanted one and love the ones I have ridden. Here we do a dead engine running lemans style start, facing our bikes 15 yds out. Wonder how the button will work!

Here we do a dead engine running lemans style start, facing our bikes 15 yds out.

!

No, I'm not a STORM racer. those guys are nuts for racing with trees so close!

I've done one of those style starts. Running in MX boots is strange indeed.

Congrats on the new bike.

What sieres do you race.I do FTR harescrambles in FL.What is your class.I'm junior B.

Jump on ebay, Pickup some OEM YZF springs etc ( There cheap as on there ) & also get the YZF pipe, Thats it your hauling ass. Thats what i did to my WR, You can go flatout though the whoops/Jumps etc & have e-start. :thumbsup:

Youd probably want to get the fork and shock revalved too if you plan on doing big jumps with it.

You wouldnt want YZ springs with WR dampening because chances are when you land a big jump it could easily buck your right off the bike because of the harsh rebound.

I plan on using the bike to continue racing hare scrambles here in Fl. So far, I am leaning toward the WR but I would like to know if the suspension is as up to date as the YZF's is. Dont the WRs get the YZF suspension from a few model years back? The main reason I'm getting an 07 is beacause of the YZFs I have ridden, the suspension is incredible and allows a much more aggressive charge through the whoops, ruts, etc. I dont want to be dissapointed with the WR's suspension but the button and the other offroad features appeal to me as a woods racer, I dont ride MX very often.

Maybe a better way to put this is: can the WRs suspension, if desired, be modified to match the YZfs fairly easily or is it a previous generation design?

About to return from 3 yrs on the dark side! (2 strokes) I'm tired of them.

Yo why dont u try to get an 08 yz250f? I just picked one up on saturday at riva motorsports.

The WR is great for harescrambles...Thad Duvall seems to be doing just fine in the GNCCs on one and Randy Hawkins flys on them as well. As with any bike you pick up getting the suspension done is a must. The YZ's suspension will work awesome in the sand but the deflections off roots or logs or tree knots will kill you, while the WR will soak all that up but most likely be too mushy in the sand. Ultimately you want to pick which bike's motor best suits you, the YZ being a quicker reving harder hitting power while the WR is a more mellow linear power. Regardless of which bike you choose the suspension is going to need to be done in order to get the most out of your rides.