Sign in to follow this  

Problems Removing My Wheel Bearings

I am trying to replace my wheel bearings in my 2003 YZ125's front wheel. I have done this before without a hitch, but this time, I have run into a snag.

I pulled out the seals, and got my screwdriver and hammer ready to punch out the old seals, but I can't get the spacer piece of pipe out of the way to even hit the inner race of the bearing.

There is little to no space in between the pipe and either one of the bearings, and I can't get the spacer to move at all...Anybody have any hints or tips to get that stupid piece of pipe to move?

Or should I bite the bullet and get a bearing puller or get it done at a dealership? (EEEK :thumbsup: I hate having anything done at any dealership, and I haven't had anything done since I got my 80s engine rebuilt when I was still brand new to dirtbikes almost 3 years ago.)

Thanks.

I had the same problem once and this is what I did, can't promise it will work though. I put two pieces of wood under the rim on opposite sides of the hub to hold the hub up off of the bench. I got a socket that was just the right size to hit on a bearing as if you were driving the bearing in to the hub. I heated up the hub with a torch and then I placed the socket on the top bearing and hit it with a hammer (as if I was driving the bearing into the hub). The jolt through the bearing and into the spacer was enough to move the bottom bearing down in the hub just enough that I could tip the spacer out of the way and hit the bottom bearing with a punch. I can't promise it will work, but it has for me in the past.

• Like 1

I am trying to replace my wheel bearings in my 2003 YZ125's front wheel. I have done this before without a hitch, but this time, I have run into a snag.

I pulled out the seals, and got my screwdriver and hammer ready to punch out the old seals, but I can't get the spacer piece of pipe out of the way to even hit the inner race of the bearing.

There is little to no space in between the pipe and either one of the bearings, and I can't get the spacer to move at all...Anybody have any hints or tips to get that stupid piece of pipe to move?

Or should I bite the bullet and get a bearing puller or get it done at a dealership? (EEEK :thumbsup: I hate having anything done at any dealership, and I haven't had anything done since I got my 80s engine rebuilt when I was still brand new to dirtbikes almost 3 years ago.)

Thanks.

The pipe will move. Hit it sideways with the drift punch. Then it will expose a lip in which you can drive the bearing out by. The wheel when tightened down, is clamping the spacer in place is all.

The pipe will move. Hit it sideways with the drift punch. Then it will expose a lip in which you can drive the bearing out by. The wheel when tightened down, is clamping the spacer in place is all.

I tried hitting it, but it wouldn't budge at all...I can't get any lip whatsoever in either bearing to hit out either.

I had this problem once. Damn spacer just refused to move no matter what I tried. I ended up buying a cheap blind bearing puller from the local Harbor Freight store. It worked. And I might get a handful of uses out of it before it bends itself into dysfunction. I think it was $15.