My 2008 yz250f.

This is my 2008 yz250f special edition i just got today. This is my first dirtbike and i had to trade in both my yfz450s, the atv's, for this bike. I have heard that before that u go riding for the first time u have to do something with the spokes. Is this true? Other than break in the motor what else do i have to do for my first ride?" This is my first dirtbike and i have had quads all my life so is there anything special i have to do for the forks and other dirtbike parts? I have just ridden it up the driveway so i cant tell u how it performs but tomorrow i am going for a ride so i will give u guys a full ride report.

IMG_0925.jpg

IMG_0927.jpg

IMG_0931.jpg

IMG_0933.jpg

IMG_0935.jpg

I did not know that the yz250f came with Excel rims.

IMG_0936.jpg

IMG_0926.jpg

IMG_0939.jpg

sweet bike. fill us in on everything about the bike. :thumbsup:

you lucky bastard, that thing is sweet, and thhey come with a 13.5:1 piston, that is awesome. Before every ride you should inspect the spokes, chain, sprokets, and probably the oil. YOu do that just to make sure noting is loose or low on oil or anyhting

you lucky bastard, that thing is sweet, and thhey come with a 13.5:1 piston, that is awesome. Before every ride you should inspect the spokes, chain, sprokets, and probably the oil. YOu do that just to make sure noting is loose or low on oil or anyhting

But how do i check the spokes?

:thumbsup: NICE

Sick bike, just use your fingers to see if any came loose :\ I doubt any will come loose for a long time.

I went so far as to get a spoke torque wrench to match my new bike when I bought it.

I bought the pre set model from Faastco.

The spokes were tight enough to hold the shape of the wheel right out of the box. They were not tight enough to activate the torque wrench. I ended up adding close to 1 full turn on each spoke when it was all said and done.

Thats been two years ago and I have had nothing come loose. I have no proof of this but I believe the stock wheels are all machine made and have only enough spoke torque that can be put to the wheel from the inside of the nipples.

Based on how well my wheels held up I will do this for any new bike I get.

Other than setting up my suspenion what kind of maintanance do i do to the forks?

for the spokes hit them with a screw driver lightly and hear if they go "ding". If they go "dong" then tighten with spoke wrench.:thumbsup: u should do this every ride with every spoke. have fun on ur new bike:ride:

Do yourself a favor and grease the streering head and shock linkage before you even ride it. If you do it before you get the bike dirty it will only take like 45 minutes to 1 hour. If you do it after you ride it then you have to clean all the bearings so it takes longer. If you don't do it at all then you will be replacing a lot of bearings in about 3 months. That is a lot of work that can be avoided. As far as suspension maintanance, get it set up for you and you should be fine for a year (or sooner if the seals start leaking or something). You should change the oil (and most suspension shops say you should have the suspension rebuilt) at least once a year. After the first ride or two go around the spokes starting at the rimlock (so you know where you started) and go every third spoke to make sure they are tight. Tighten any that are loose. By goin gevery third spoke and going around the wheel three times you will hit every spoke without throwing your wheel out of true. Normally the spokes will loosen a little after the first ride or two and after that if you tighten them they will stay tight. Every once in a while check them, but they will probably be tight. Change the oil and oil filter after the first ride (to get any metal from machining and assembly that could be in the engine out). Put a good chain on it while it is new. The stock chains suck and will stretch instantly and will ruin your sprockets in a couple months. If you put a good chain on while the sprockets are new you will get a full year out of the chain and sprockets. When they do eventually wear out replace the chain and sprockets as a set. Don't use a new chain with used sprockets or visa versa. Other than that, have fun! :thumbsup:

wow, thats a lot of work, is it the same for a wr? lol

nice back man

wow, thats a lot of work, is it the same for a wr? lol

nice back man

It is true for every bike and every brand.

Put a good chain on it while it is new. The stock chains suck and will stretch instantly and will ruin your sprockets in a couple months.

i disagree with that alot of my friends ride yz's and they havnt had problems with their chain

again i diisagree with that aswell

Do yourself a favor and grease the streering head and shock linkage before you even ride it. If you do it before you get the bike dirty it will only take like 45 minutes to 1 hour. If you do it after you ride it then you have to clean all the bearings so it takes longer. If you don't do it at all then you will be replacing a lot of bearings in about 3 months.

but i agree with the rest, also check the bolts on the shrouds they will come loose after a few rides, or atleast mine did

enjoy

Definitely greese the steering head and shock linkage, take my word for it. You will thank me in the future. Most bikes come with very little if any grease in the bearings and they will freeze up and you will ruin the bearings and the races. Changing steering head bearings and races is a big pain in the a** and it can be avoided. One more thing I thought of. Take the chain adjuster bolts out and grease them. If you scroll down the 250F forum you will see why. This is also true of every bike.

sweeeeeeet bike. That engine is so sexy with those black covers! and that red shock spring ummmm I'm Loving it!

LUCKY, THATS an AWSOME bike man i would love to have that!!!!!! congrats hope it rides and nice as it looks!!

Definitely greese the steering head and shock linkage, take my word for it. You will thank me in the future. Most bikes come with very little if any grease in the bearings and they will freeze up and you will ruin the bearings and the races. Changing steering head bearings and races is a big pain in the a** and it can be avoided. One more thing I thought of. Take the chain adjuster bolts out and grease them. If you scroll down the 250F forum you will see why. This is also true of every bike.

is the americain yamaha faactory skimpy on the grease?, more so then the canadian factory?

dude, you look really familiar. but that bike is bitchin. just go over the spokes with a wrench till they set in after every ride. I dont know about the new b-stone rubbers, but the old dunlop front was a piece, so if it works dont change it. also, go for a new chain, non o-ring. i would also set the clickers to factory settings and play with them as you keep goin to the track. about those spokes, grab that wrench and just snug them up so none are floppy loose.

btw: what dealership did that come from?

Definitely greese the steering head and shock linkage, take my word for it. You will thank me in the future. Most bikes come with very little if any grease in the bearings and they will freeze up and you will ruin the bearings and the races. Changing steering head bearings and races is a big pain in the a** and it can be avoided.

I am learning that lesson the hard way replacing the bearings in my 125. :thumbsup:

Grease your bearings now. No complaining, just do it.

Congrats on your new bike! Now get it dirty!

I would recommend the Yamaha hour meter for keeping up with the oil/filter changes & a few spare air filters with all that sand in FLA.