Sign in to follow this  

Anyone as dumb as me??

So im attempting to put my JD Jet kit in the drz and i somehow managed to strip 2 of the 4 screws on the float bowl! Has anyone else done this before? what do i do? feel like an idiot.

We all have done it. Those damn butter screws. Take one to the local hobby shop and get them replaced with those black allen head screws. That way next time you can just loosen the clamps,rotate the carb and use an allen wrench.

You'll need to drill a small hole in the middle of the screw and use an easy out tip in your screw gun. You run the drill in reverse. the hardest part is getting a good shot at the carb. Good luck

Happens all the time. The TT store sells an allen head set to replace them. As you are in the middle of the job it won't do you much good though. Do a search and you will find the sizes needed for replacements from your local hardware store.

Edit to say-Nice avatar Java Joe! NO! NO! NO! I meant to say that the edit is to say Java Joe beat me to it. But who cares? It is a great set of...I mean it is a great avatar! A model of modern engineering! The way that little bit of fabric can hold those things in place. Amazing!

So im attempting to put my JD Jet kit in the drz and i somehow managed to strip 2 of the 4 screws on the float bowl! Has anyone else done this before? what do i do? feel like an idiot.

Find yourself a small pair of long(needle nose) vise grip locking pliers and grab the outside edge of the screws and crack them loose.Replace with the Kientech stainless steel socket head float bowl screws available from Kientech Engineering or the TT Store.

You used the wrong screwdriver to remove the screws.I use a Hozan #2 JIS(Japanese Industrial Standard) screwdriver and they come out easily without damage.A regular Phillips will often cam out of a JIS type fastener.

Japanese Industrial Standard, eh? if i knew about that, i forgot it, but i just ordered a set from Heliproz too. four different sizes for 25 bucks, delivered. thanks for the tip.

We did the same thing when doing my 3x3 mod, however my friend had a nice idea to remove the stripped butter bolt. Take a hacksaw and make a couple small cuts in the top of the stripped unit to accept a flathead screwdriver, and with a little english you can remove it. Worked great !

happened to many. thats why a lot of carb questions get answered

and have advised to get replacements...:thumbsup:

if you want to find local.. float bowl screws are..

M4 3 x 10-mm and 1 x 12-mm - .7 pitch

if you are taking your carb out go buy an impact driver and then cut the screw head so a flat head bit will fit and you wont stip them out anymore or any other philipps or flat head screws again

i got the mole grips on mine, just grip them and twist them just enough to loosen - then unscrew them :thumbsup:

At least you did not do what I did and break the needle retaining clips down in the slide. I have been riding with the needle flopping around in there for about 3 weeks now...

JIS screw heads, eh? might as well be rivet heads.