Thinking of switching from CRF450X to TE510

Hi

My ride at the moment is a Honda CRF450X (2006 model)

Was hoping that Honda were going to bring out a fuel injected model soon, but it appears not so for next year.

Thinking of jumping camp to a Husky TE510 which is going to have FI.

What do you people that own the present (non fuel injected) models think of your bikes ?

Are there any problems with the bike ?

What are they like for maintenance ?

Has anyone had a CRF and now own a TE, and how do they compare ?

Any valve or maintenance issues ?

With the new FI coming, does anyone know whether aftermarket pipes can be fitted without upsetting the FI ? Or does there have to be an aftermarket modification do to he FI system to fit differant pipes ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

The 450x is such a great bike. I'd let them work out the first year kinks and hold on to your x for another year. I'm sure a FI Husky will be just like a streetbike. It'll probably require a remapping when you switch exhausts.

:thumbsup: Please don´t spread any horrorstorrys.

All streetleagal bikes have some restrictions. As usal. No different storie for 2008 TE. There is in most cases easier with a EFI bike.

Husqvarna have a complete setting and componets for full power version. Check out las pages in this info.

For both 2 and 4 stroke.

For TE model you change Silencer, O2 sencor cap, and a type off "jumper" no advanced remapping etc.

http://www.husqvarnamc.se/images/doku/ENMX2008_ENG.pdf[/url

Best regards Klas

My personal oppinion.

CRF450X is a "Dualsport bike" compared to TE 450

Klas:smirk:

i went from a crf 450 r to my husky te 510 and DO NOT reget it. we do mostly woods riding and the 450 r is just a total animal in the woods, to hard to ride in tight stuff. it can be done but why fight with your bike ... i bought my te 510 and his bike is a dream to ride in the woods. i would honestly say that its the funnest best handling bike i ever rode in the woods. i cant see how you would go wrong doing the switch. scott

oh yea ... you asked about valve service .... you have a crf so you know that they are a bit of a pain to check and a real pain if you need to adjust. heres a link of a vid on doing the husky valve check and adjust. watch it then you tell me if its easy .... :thumbsup: scott

Thanks for the input guys. Some intersting coments. I liked the vid on the valve adjustments, looked pretty simple to me. never done mine on my X, always got my mechanic to do it for me. I don't know whether the X is any harder than that, but if it isn't I may be tempted to do my own next time.

As for that coment 'the X is a duel sport bike', isn't the Te classed a s a duel sport also ?

I agree that waiting for 12 months to let them sort out initial teething problems. Trouble is my bike is getting long in the toothe and updating now is a better option than rebuilding mine. I would rather offlaod mine and get new. I guess that is my problem to ponder, either way, it is still going to cost dollars.

The TE can be used as a dual sport just not for long highway miles. For around town and back roads it is a blast. A lot of the Super Moto folks ride their bike mostly on the street. The TE and the SM use the same motor. Change the tires and you can have fun on the street or in the dirt. Just don't forget to change the oil regularly and keep an eye on the valves and it should outwit, outplay, and outlast an "X" :thumbsup:

Thanks for the input guys. Some intersting coments....

For the record some of the comments were meant as a bit of a joke - but well intended - good people in this part of TT.

Bottom line is they really are good bikes and the valves are not prone to moving. Don't know what the answer is for you though. Best of luck.

oh yea ... you asked about valve service .... you have a crf so you know that they are a bit of a pain to check and a real pain if you need to adjust. heres a link of a vid on doing the husky valve check and adjust. watch it then you tell me if its easy .... :thumbsup: scott

Thanks for passing that on.

Klas, you say a 450X is a dualsport bike? I hear they sieze up if you run them 10 miles down a fire road. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Something about 800 ml's of oil.

I don't think you'll have any regrets getting a Husky. Getting comments like "I didn't know that Husqvarna made motorcycles?" and "Does that say Husqvarna on your bike?" by people that don't know squat about bikes gets a little thin fast but that's about it for me.

Husky's motard setup is a bargain if your interested. I believe it's around $1800 for the full pop with Brembo rotor and master cylinder. You can't piece a setup like it together doing your best bargain hunting if you tried.

For the record some of the comments were meant as a bit of a joke - but well intended - good people in this part of TT.

Bottom line is they really are good bikes and the valves are not prone to moving. Don't know what the answer is for you though. Best of luck.

That's cool, and understood.

From what I gather so far, each bike is good, but the TE seems to be a longer term prospect (which is what I am after)

I tend to look after my bikes doing all the regular service requirements before the due interval.

95% of my stuff is on tight single track, wide open beach's and tracks, or muddy snarly, rocky mountains.

no problem ... i appreciated you sending me the link ... scott

Klas, you say a 450X is a dualsport bike? I hear they sieze up if you run them 10 miles down a fire road. :thumbsup::busted: Something about 800 ml's of oil.

I don't think you'll have any regrets getting a Husky. Getting comments like "I didn't know that Husqvarna made motorcycles?" and "Does that say Husqvarna on your bike?" by people that don't know squat about bikes gets a little thin fast but that's about it for me.

Husky's motard setup is a bargain if your interested. I believe it's around $1800 for the full pop with Brembo rotor and master cylinder. You can't piece a setup like it together doing your best bargain hunting if you tried.

i didnt know husky offerd a bolt on set up to yurn a TE into a S/M. my buddy has a ktm exc 525 and he picked up the ktm accessories cataog and i notice they offer a S/M kit also ... i though to myself ... "would be cool if husky offerd that" ... i guess they do .... :thumbsup:

Do you have a part number for kit?