Sign in to follow this  

200 exc/xcw

Thinking of getting a second bike for fun. I have heard that the 200 can hit pretty hard. Is this something that can be tuned down for better bottom and smoother transition? I want something that not only I can enjoy but I don't have to worry too much about inexperienced riders killing themselves on. I like to take newbies out riding and want something that they can enjoy and something I can use in tight and nasties other than my 525. I am 6'1 195lb. thanks for any insite.

The 200 has an adjustable power valve. The following article gives you the procedure to adjust it:

Langston mod

Most assuredly I wouldn't use a 200 for a "buddy" bike. An inexperienced rider will get in serious trouble very quickly on this machine. Yes, it can be a fairly tame trail machine, but wick it up and you're looking at just about a full on motocrosser. This little bike has some teeth. :thumbsup:

I purchased an 04 as a tight woods play bike and now I won't ride anything else. I now have an 07 I'm riding while my RFS sits in the garage gathering dust. This little bike is that much fun. I'm the same height and weight you are and the bike is plenty quick.

If you want a buddy bike that isn't to bad to ride on consider a KDX220, not the KTM. I doubt your buddies will ever get to touch the KTM after you've ridden it. :thumbsup:

--Bill.

Thinking of getting a second bike for fun. I have heard that the 200 can hit pretty hard. Is this something that can be tuned down for better bottom and smoother transition? I want something that not only I can enjoy but I don't have to worry too much about inexperienced riders killing themselves on. I like to take newbies out riding and want something that they can enjoy and something I can use in tight and nasties other than my 525. I am 6'1 195lb. thanks for any insite.

The 200 in stock form does hit pretty hard. I put a 12 oz. Fly Wheel Weight on my 02 model and now it's very manageable. Still has that 2 stroke snap but it is much easier to ride. I absolutely love it. I agree with Ud Luz that a KDX200 or 220 probably would make a better novice bike, but if you want to use it yourself as well, go for the KTM.