1987 XR80 piston replacement

Ok, heres the deal.

I have a 1987 XR80R that the piston rings where froze on the piston. So we take it down to the honda shop and one of the guys that works there knows us really well and we have helped each other out a lot...So he wants us to pay just for parts, and he'll work on it in betwen other bikes. No big deal :thumbsup:

But its taken over 4 months, 3 wrong sized pistons, and a lot of trips to the honda shop.... :thumbsup::busted:

We are about to go over there and tell him we'll take the cylinder head off and bring it to him then. I was wondering if anyone knows where I can get the PDF manual for this bike? And ill have to take everything inside the motor out to put the new piston on the crankshaft right?

Nice that someone will work on it for you for free...sounds like he's not sure what he's doing. If he's having a hard time finding a correct sized piston for it then it's clear that the cylinder needs a new bore. Get an oversized piston (most kits include rings, piston, clips, and wrist pin) and have the cylinder bored to accept that particular piston. This is only a cylinder head off, and cylinder off job. You don't need to access the crank for a top end job. You'll need a new head gasket and base gasket, some time and good tools.:thumbsup:

Nice that someone will work on it for you for free...sounds like he's not sure what he's doing. If he's having a hard time finding a correct sized piston for it then it's clear that the cylinder needs a new bore. Get an oversized piston (most kits include rings, piston, clips, and wrist pin) and have the cylinder bored to accept that particular piston. This is only a cylinder head off, and cylinder off job. You don't need to access the crank for a top end job. You'll need a new head gasket and base gasket, some time and good tools.:thumbsup:

Oh no, dont get me wrong, hes an excellent mechanic, just takes his time.... :thumbsup:

If you saw how many 4wheelers they have siting in the ware house that are waiting to be looked at....you just wouldn't believe it, maybe at lest 100 or so? And my friends four wheeler has been siting down there for about 2-3 months also...

So your saying that I just need to take the top end off? I dont need to open up the case to get the piston off the crankshaft? I want to put a new piston in it at lest, instead of just over sized rings. And yes, its going to need boarded out, and we have a guy in town that does that.