Taylor Park August 3-5th

Hello,

I am taking my boy on his first trip to Colorado to ride the Taylor Park area. We are both C + to B- riders and are looking for a couple of good trails-40-50 mile loops. Is there anyone I can call or connect with to lead us on a couple of those days.

Gary

The people at the Taylor Park Trading Post can help you on trail info and they sell a very good map of the area which shows the trails. www.taylorparktradingpost.com

Dr. Park is a good ride it gets a little hairy at the end, but you better expect that in CO.

hope you guys like rocks...... a lot!

I have heard that the Dr. Park section of the Gunnison Spur is on the list for closure. I agree, great trail, especially towards the end. Not for newbies tho.

Taylor06-57.jpg

Check out the trails in the Spring Creek Reservoir area first. If thest are too easy, then try out the Gunnison spur of the Colorado Trail, but the southwest end (North bank trail coming out of the Taylor rd.) is fairly tough and there is a set of moderate switchbacks about four or five miles in from the northeast end trailhead at Dinner Station. There are several bail-out points down to Spring Creek Rd. from the middle of the trail. Don't go down the Matchless trail south to the Taylor River unless you are prepared for a deep, fast river crossing.

The trails off Cement Ck. Rd are generally a little tougher and then there are the more advanced trails (lots of these) including timberline, star, and fossil ridge.

As noted above, even on the easiest trails there are lots of rocks, except much of the Spring Ck area.

Check out the trails in the Spring Creek Reservoir area first. If thest are too easy, then try out the Gunnison spur of the Colorado Trail, but the southwest end (North bank trail coming out of the Taylor rd.) is fairly tough and there is a set of moderate switchbacks about four or five miles in from the northeast end trailhead at Dinner Station. There are several bail-out points down to Spring Creek Rd. from the middle of the trail. Don't go down the Matchless trail south to the Taylor River unless you are prepared for a deep, fast river crossing.

The trails off Cement Ck. Rd are generally a little tougher and then there are the more advanced trails (lots of these) including timberline, star, and fossil ridge.

As noted above, even on the easiest trails there are lots of rocks, except much of the Spring Ck area.

This is good advice. Many of the Jeep roads are fun too, Tin Cup Pass, Italian Creek, Taylor Pass. Taylor Park is a large area, take a good map and be prepared for all kinds of weather, try to avoid the higher elevations later in the afternoon as it tends to cloud up and storm and the lightening can be scary. If you like to fish, bring your rod as there is good fishing throughout the area.

There are a few of us from the Kansas City area that will be at Taylor Park from morning 7-28 to evening 8-4. Not sure exactly where we are camping. If you want to try and hook up, you might send a PM to Ud_Luz, he knows where we are camping.:thumbsup:

There are several great trails... Timber Line, Dr.s Park, Star, are a few. I would suggest that you get a map at the Taylor Park store.

Mike

Thanks for all the information..We are really looking forward to the fun and challenges...We will come with all the extra rain gear etc. and we will pick up maps in Gunnison and Taylor Park..

Rocks...rocks are OK..we have plenty here in Arizona.....

Thanks again for the info..