Idle help

Alright I am having a hell of a time trying to get my bike to idle.

It has been running awesome all summer, however I took the backfire screen out as i noticed how restrictive it really is after some examination. After riding today, I noticed that the bike would run fine if I rolled on the throttle, however if i gave it any quick burst, EVEN if the revs were already up it would completely die. Still had plenty of power if i didnt let it get to that though.

I figured it must be running a little lean, as I am getting more air to the carb so I put in a bigger (165 from 160) main jet. Now Right after I did this it seemed almost worse, so i started to adjust the air screw, turning it all the way in and then out .5 turns as a starting point. It obviously idled a little low so i started to adjust the idle knob. Not surprizingly, i completely lost track and have NO idea where that thing needs to be.

This is not the problem i dont think though. I turned the idle all the way up, to the right, and it still wont idle, but it seems to run strong if I give it gas to get it started. Honestly i just spent more than an hour trying to get the thing to start up and idle, but it will not run, even with the joke unless i am giving it throttle.

I tried going back to the original 160, and even a 155, making sure they were all clean, but it WILL NOT IDLE. I didnt touch the needle at all, so i dont think its a carb cleaning issue.

Sorry for the long post, I just need to figure this out. Any help would be appreciated.

I would try cleaning your pilot jet first.

Is your needle stock?

Have you made any adjustments to your needle?

A really great setup is the NCVS 16233-men-671 needle, 3rd pos, 42 pilot and a 165-170 main Fuel screw 2 turns out.

Where at in Colorado are you. I am in La Junta for the next few weeks to a month. If i am any where close i am willing to give you a hand or i can pm you my #.

Also if you bike tends to set for a few weeks at a time run stabil in you fuel

Sounds like the pilot jet to me. Try backing out your mixture screw a bunch of turns then seat it back out to your pervious position. If it still stalls but will run ok, pour in a 2 ounces of carburetor cleaner for every gallon inside that’s left in the tank. Take it for a good ride 30 minutes and see if that doesn’t start to idle.

I had to put a couple ounces in my carbureted bikes every 3rd tank full or they all started having idling problem especially my Suzuki Ozark 250 that would stall as well

I would try cleaning your pilot jet first.

Is your needle stock?

Have you made any adjustments to your needle?

A really great setup is the NCVS 16233-men-671 3rd pos, 42 pilot and a 165-170 main Fuel screw 2 turns out.

Where at in Colorado are you. I am in La Junta for the next few weeks to a month. If i am any where close i am willing to give you a hand or i can pm you my #.

I'm in Boulder, ride from 7000 to 9000 feet. I am using the JD jet kit with the red needle, I believe the red needle. You should shoot me your number, maybe it would help to figure this out over the phone...Where exactly is La junta?

Sounds like the pilot jet to me. Try backing out your mixture screw a bunch of turns then seat it back out to your pervious position. If it still stalls but will run ok, pour in a 2 ounces of carburetor cleaner for every gallon inside that’s left in the tank. Take it for a good ride 30 minutes and see if that doesn’t start to idle.

I had to put a couple ounces in my carbureted bikes every 3rd tank full or they all started having idling problem especially my Suzuki Ozark 250 that would stall as well

All i have is the aerosal carb cleaner...You really that that would work? What about my idle screw, I dont know where to put it, start all the way to the right? Can I use the aerosal and just spray it in the carb, where? Thanks for the help guys.

That sounds kind of scary to me. I think he would be better off pulling the jets and just spraying them out with carb cleaner.

I'm in Boulder, ride from 7000 to 9000 feet. I am using the JD jet kit with the red needle, I believe the red needle. You should shoot me your number, maybe it would help to figure this out over the phone...Where exactly is La junta?

All i have is the aerosal carb cleaner...You really that that would work? What about my idle screw, I dont know where to put it, start all the way to the right? Can I use the aerosal and just spray it in the carb, where? Thanks for the help guys.

about 60 miles south east from Pueblo

PM sent

To get to the pilot do I have to take the whole carb off?

To get to the pilot do I have to take the whole carb off?

Nope, it is right next to the main. Small flat head will do it, just make sure you stay on it straight

Its just varnish skoot22, not the Blob.

That sounds kind of scary to me. I think he would be better off pulling the jets and just spraying them out with carb cleaner.
:thumbsup:
Its just varnish skoot22, not the Blob.

How is the bike doing today, any progress?

I got it going, must have been the pilot. Gotta thank skoot for helping me out on the phone, great guy.

I got it going, must have been the pilot. Gotta thank skoot for helping me out on the phone, great guy.

Glad i could help, good to hear you got your bike to run how you want to. Nice talking to you, and call any time.