Exhaust System Terror!

I'm in the middle of replacing the exhaust system on my Lincoln Navigator (same chassis as the Expedition and F-150, for the most part). I've done a few exhaust systems before, but this one is being a huge pain in the ass just to remove. The tube that runs from the Y fitting into the front of the muffler seems stuck on the Y fitting. I have the clamp cut already, and can rotate the pipe several degrees in either direction, but still have had no luck in getting it off. Anyone have any tips or tricks to getting this or similar pieces off?

Thanks

George

I'm in the middle of replacing the exhaust system on my Lincoln Navigator (same chassis as the Expedition and F-150, for the most part). I've done a few exhaust systems before, but this one is being a huge pain in the ass just to remove. The tube that runs from the Y fitting into the front of the muffler seems stuck on the Y fitting. I have the clamp cut already, and can rotate the pipe several degrees in either direction, but still have had no luck in getting it off. Anyone have any tips or tricks to getting this or similar pieces off?

Thanks

George

Sounds like the area where the clamp formerly resided is compressed so that it will not allow the female pipe to pull off.

The best way get past this is to cut slits length wise down the length of the offending pipe junction using a die grinder or a dremel with the cutoff wheels. I assume the female portion of the junction is the downstream pipe, and you're tossing it.

If you have a torch handy, you can warm it up with the rosebud tip to red hot, and it should slide right off with ease.