96 250L runs lean and hot, any ideas or help?

I have a 1996 Honda XR250L that seems to be having a loss of power problem.

I'm not sure if is a little problem or big one. when you get it started is runs like its missing all the time (almost

like a 2 cycle running like a 4 cycle). the exhaust seems to get real HOT after just a short time.

I'm wondering if it's something in the carb or the timing is off. I understand with this bike you can't adjust the timing. Is it possible the electronic ignition is crapped out?? I cleaned the carb and might not have it adjusted correctly, could just a poorly adjusted carb cause this kind of symptoms.

At this point I just want to get it running decent and sell it. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

409.jpg

Thanks in advance

Any mods or is it a stock bike? The stock jetting is very lean so it will tend to run hot. If you just cleaned out the carb its very possible you didn't adjust it back the way it was before or you left a small seal out. How far did you disassemble the carb? If you completely took it apart check to make sure the round cover with the small tab on the side of the carb is installed in the right orientation. There was a guy a few months ago who swapped it 180 degrees, even in the picture he posted most people didn't even notice (including me).

Other things to check:

Water in gas?

Does it miss through out the rev range or just while idling?

How does the spark plug look? Black, brown, gray?

The exhaust will get pretty hot pretty quick even on a bike thats running right, especially if you let it idle with out moving. However hot is an indication of lean mixture.

Hope something there helps.

Any mods or is it a stock bike? The stock jetting is very lean so it will tend to run hot. If you just cleaned out the carb its very possible you didn't adjust it back the way it was before or you left a small seal out. How far did you disassemble the carb? If you completely took it apart check to make sure the round cover with the small tab on the side of the carb is installed in the right orientation. There was a guy a few months ago who swapped it 180 degrees, even in the picture he posted most people didn't even notice (including me).

Other things to check:

Water in gas?

Does it miss through out the rev range or just while idling?

How does the spark plug look? Black, brown, gray?

The exhaust will get pretty hot pretty quick even on a bike thats running right, especially if you let it idle with out moving. However hot is an indication of lean mixture.

Hope something there helps.

Thanks for the comeback. The bike is stock, and I think it ran better before I bought it, with a dirty carb, so chances are I re-assembled something wrong. I'm going to try to get to it in the next few days, but today, I gott go ride,:thumbsup: will be my first time out in almost 4 months.

I too suggest to start with the easiest....a new plug. Then, like redrider indicated re-inspect your carb and increase the size of the jets.

It should not run hot like it is, and should not miss like u said.

Good luck!

I too suggest to start with the easiest....a new plug. Then, like redrider indicated re-inspect your carb and increase the size of the jets.

It should not run hot like it is, and should not miss like u said.

Good luck!

That's what I'll do, plug then carb. If need be I have a piston and rings, but I don't think it will need a top end. I think it's just lean. I almost don't want to get rid of it, would not mind using it to go back and forth to work. I'll be it's pretty stingy with gas use.

It also feels more nimble than my XR400, but not more than my CRF250X. When I test rode it it actually rode better than it does now, so the more I think about it, it has to be the carb. I hope my rebuild kit has bigger jets, and I'll back out the air mixture screw. (I think that's the right name for it)

If you've got a Keihin carb on this bike, it's possible to install the slide backwards. They run like crap when you do this, but they do run, with symptoms similar to what you describe. The picture in the shop manual isn't real helpful, as it doesn't show the slight cutout at the top rear of the slide. That cutout goes to the rear of the carb when you install the slide.

If it ran okay before, and you disassembled the carb to clean it, I'll bet you put the slide in backward when you reassembled it. Take out the slide, make sure it's in correctly and reinstall the carb.

Don't ask how I know this. It's embarrassing....:thumbsup:

If you've got a Keihin carb on this bike, it's possible to install the slide backwards. They run like crap when you do this, but they do run, with symptoms similar to what you describe. The picture in the shop manual isn't real helpful, as it doesn't show the slight cutout at the top rear of the slide. That cutout goes to the rear of the carb when you install the slide.

If it ran okay before, and you disassembled the carb to clean it, I'll bet you put the slide in backward when you reassembled it. Take out the slide, make sure it's in correctly and reinstall the carb.

Don't ask how I know this. It's embarrassing....:thumbsup:

Been there, done that. :thumbsup:

Air leak around the intake?

I had some troubles when I broke down my carb last month. I had to take it apart again (and again) and I finally got it right. I betcha that's your problem too. Good luck!