My clutch wants to creep ?

We are having a cold spell here in OZ at the moment, and when I start my bike in gear (clutch in obviously) it wants to creep forward ?

If I start the bike in neutral it is fine, let her warm up slightly, then pull the clutch and drop into first and it stalls ?

Once the bike is warmed up I have no problems at all ?

I have never encountered this problem before. Is it due to the cold weather and the tranny fluid being cold and thick ? or does my cable need renewing or adjusting ?

I guess the latter, but just want to know if anyone else is having this problem in cold weather.?

yeah i had the same thing happen

i just bought a new 06 WR250F (my first bike). start her in neutral, drop down into 1st and stall. i have now been letting bike warm up and then if it stalls into 1st just use hot start while bike is in gear go for a ride and then it is fine.

i have been told if it creeps it is ok and that if it doesnt want to pull you can burn clutch out?

and another newbie question what is slippage?

thanks in advance guys

i just bought a new 06 WR250F (my first bike). start her in neutral, drop down into 1st and stall. i have now been letting bike warm up and then if it stalls into 1st just use hot start while bike is in gear go for a ride and then it is fine.

i have been told if it creeps it is ok and that if it doesnt want to pull you can burn clutch out?

thanks in advance guys

Slippage is when the clutch is not fully engaged like when you're riding along with some lever pull. This is not good unless you're slipping it on purpose and even then it is hard on the clutch. If your clutch is slipping and it is adjusted right then you need a new clutch probably. A little creep on a cold motor is OK but it should go away once the bike reaches operating temperature. FWIW, I have two friends on WR's and they've both had clutch issues and think adjustment is critical...Not that big of a deal on the 450X....It has an excellent clutch right out of the crate although riders who are hard on clutches will also be hard on the 450X clutch. JM02....Good question, dj....and welcome to the 450X forum:thumbsup:

Thanks everyone. It's good to hear it is normal. I thought it might have been, but to make sure puts my mind at ease.

Thanks once again.

Above being "normal"...

It's also a good sign your clutch cable isn't too tight. If it was too tight, you'd be able to start your bike in gear cold with less creep. Too loose, and you have the creep problem even when your bike is warmed up. Now when your plates start to wear, you'll get what Cubera explained as "slippage". Best place to sense this... is on pavement, and in a high gear. Rider'er down the street at slow speed in 3rd or something, and roll hard on the gas. Listen to hear if the bike sounds like it's going 80mph... when your doing 30mph. The RPMs will rise, and you'll be going no faster. Not good, and don't continue to ride with a slipping clutch, trust me!

Another good reason to not start your bike... and do what I hear at EVERY ride... and EVERY race... BRAAP! BRAAP! Guys whacking the throttle before the bike warms up. :crazy: Sounds racey! But man... beats that bike to a pulp internally. Let'er warm up... warm to the touch on the cyliner head at minimum. Then give'er a whack or two if you can't handle it just idling. :D

... :ride:

thanks in advance guys

You need to go ask the Yamaha guys... I don't know how those bikes work. :D

I think Cubera got you answered on the slippage... nice guy isn't he?!

See my comment on how to check for a slipping clutch... if your cable is too tight, you could burn your clutch out prematurely... so yes, a creeping bike is a tad better than a slipping clutch. Proper adjustment is better than both. ?

You need to go ask the Yamaha guys... I don't know how those bikes work. :D

I think Cubera got you answered on the slippage... nice guy isn't he?!

See my comment on how to check for a slipping clutch... if your cable is too tight, you could burn your clutch out prematurely... so yes, a creeping bike is a tad better than a slipping clutch. Proper adjustment is better than both. ?

Yup...I agree completely and admit clutch adjustment is something I overlook all too often......One thing I forget to mention is be sure to use an oil recommended by the manufacturer. Some additives are death to a clutch....Please don't ask me how I know this:eek:

thanks for your help guys, i have found this forum very helpful for every topic you can think of.

i thought i did have slippage when changing from 1st to 2nd yesterday, but i believe i was not going fast enough in 1st to change to 2nd, and i also dont think i clicked clutch lever hard enough and actually just slid it into neutral.

since then i have made sure bike is revving around 7 - 8 000 before gear changes and actually put some pressure on clutch lever when changing.... now i have had no problems!

its probably amazing how many problems are caused by poor riding style. are there any good threads on proper technique and riding style. thanks again.

thanks for your help guys, i have found this forum very helpful for every topic you can think of.

i thought i did have slippage when changing from 1st to 2nd yesterday, but i believe i was not going fast enough in 1st to change to 2nd, and i also dont think i clicked clutch lever hard enough and actually just slid it into neutral.

since then i have made sure bike is revving around 7 - 8 000 before gear changes and actually put some pressure on clutch lever when changing.... now i have had no problems!

its probably amazing how many problems are caused by poor riding style. are there any good threads on proper technique and riding style. thanks again.

i short shift my bike the majority of the time and have no problems with the clutch:excuseme:

i dont actually think it was slippage. my biggest problem is in the past i have always used soft shoes when riding a bike, i have now bought new boots and i have problems feeling the clutch lever.

i am getting used to it now, but the only time it happened was from 1st to 2nd and i believe i was only shifting half a click and going into neutral.

anyways no problems now, starting to get used to the boots.