Value of a clean 1986 cr250

What value would you say a 1986 cr250 with a freshly plated cylinder and new top end, newer tires, newer chain & sprockets, in overall very good condition?

I picked up the bike (cheap) a month or so ago in need of cylinder replating & top end. Apparently the headgasket blew internally scouring the cylinder. The crank feels good and the bike is very clean/good condition.

I havent put the bike together yet (too busy to ship cylinder and order parts), but figure I would have a total of $600 (including bike cost) to get it into good running cond.

A friend wants to buy it as-is for his 15 yr old 200# kid. What value wouldyou put on it in As-is condition vs with a fresh engine?

When a bike is that old, it's worth whatever you can get for it. Early to mid 90's CR 250's are going for $1,000 now, and they are light years better technologically, and a little less likely to nickel and dime the owner with little problems. The amount you mentioned is real close to it's value.

A buddy of mine at work sold an 86 YZ250 for 800 and he was pissed as it sold in under a half hour on craigslist. Should have listed it for more.

Bottom line though as mentioned. It is worth what ever people will pay. Start a little high and then go down from there.

Unless you just want it gone.

Area has a lot to do with it as well. I just paid 1800 for a mid 90s 250. Granted it has quite a bit done to it but around here bikes are more expensive.

A buddy of mine at work sold an 86 YZ250 for 800 and he was pissed as it sold in under a half hour on craigslist. Should have listed it for more.

Bottom line though as mentioned. It is worth what ever people will pay. Start a little high and then go down from there.

Unless you just want it gone.

Area has a lot to do with it as well. I just paid 1800 for a mid 90s 250. Granted it has quite a bit done to it but around here bikes are more expensive.

wow really? you can get a clean 99-02 for that around here.. i cant put a prie on my 03 but id say 2000-2500, i traded an 05 crf 230 for it.. oh yeah, i got the better deal :devil:

Freshened engien, overall very good condition.......$600-800 range. Maybe a bit more if you are in no hurry to sell and can wait for the right buyer, less if you are in a hurry to momve it. A fully operational and ready to ride bike in good shape will depreciate to a certain point and go no lower. Whether its a '92 or '88 or '86, there won't be all that much difference in price, though there may be singificant difference's in design/ability of the bikes.

they are going for 2 grand all day long right now..depends on the shape..and people if you didn't know..86~89 was the best Cr 250s ever made... if you had to nickle and dime it..so be it..cause a 2013 won't touch a 86~89 .. stock! i garentee the 86 is a better built bike!

they are going for 2 grand all day long right now..depends on the shape..and people if you didn't know..86~89 was the best Cr 250s ever made... if you had to nickle and dime it..so be it..cause a 2013 won't touch a 86~89 .. stock! i garentee the 86 is a better built bike!

Dude there's no way a 1986 cr250 will ever be worth 2 grand all day and night. There nit worth that much

youll be lucky to break even from the sounds of it. dont forget all the hours of labor youll never recoupe a penny for.  the freind that whats to buy it as is, well i woud call him asap and get it out of your hair. tell him $500 plus a box of beer and cut your losses before you lose your ass . besides your neightbor, nobody wants them old bikes except 15yo kids with a $300 budget

another problem of them oldies is alot of parts are no longer available. used ebay junk is your only option. if you trash a tranny gear whats the point of replacing it with a old rusted pitted pile of crap in just as bad condition

Edited by harryhandshake

I've been offered $2000 for my 86.

No way would I sell it for that.

$2K is about the going rate when I see them pop up in CL.   There is still a market for these model CR's even tho parts are hard to come by.   The vintage racer or an owner that owned one back in the late 80's know how good these bikes were.  If I see an 87 model in prisitne cond. in my area I'd be all over it.

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/ant/mcd/4111933584.html 

thats pristine ?   hahahahah  let me buy you some glasses

thats pristine ?   hahahahah  let me buy you some glasses

I think you misunderstood.  The CL ad shows the going rate of the late 80's CR250's for sale in my area.  If I were to see one for sale in prisitne cond. I'd be definatley interested in the purchase.   In my case the search continues for an 87 pristine model...

Edited by H4L

It's worth a lot to some one who used to have one. But just anyone about 800. I had a clean 2000 kx 250 sat on it for a long time only got a 1000 for it. A lot of it depends where u live

this appears to be a nice '02. $1700 obo.  just sayin  

http://tucson.craigslist.org/mcy/4076391217.html

I understand where your coming from.   My value of a bike or whatever it is can be completely different than yours.  A couple of years ago my corperation teamed up with a well known corp. in the US to put on a seminar about purchase values.   They went around the room & asked what you would pay for tires, furniture, World series tickets etc..  Out of 10 people they asked including my self there were 10 different answers.    

if i had a '86 and someone offered 2g for it, they wouldnt even get the sentence finished and i would had it loaded in their truck

Edited by harryhandshake

if i had a '86 and someone offered 2g for it, they wouldnt even get the sentence finished and i would had it loaded in their truck

Case in point.

yes case in point. the bike aint worth nearly 2g, so if someone is stupid enough to pay that much it would be loaded in their truck within seconds.

Edited by harryhandshake