What did you do to your WR today?

Holy crap man! Did the last owner live under the sea or something!

Looks better now!

Josh

Cheers Josh .... No - he did an enduro in Wales? last spring and the bike stopped halfway round. He tried (in vain) to get it going again, got pi$$ed off with it and left it to rot !! ? Luckily I found it and brought it back to life :bonk: Really enjoyed it too - nearly ready for MOT on Saturday which means I can use it on UK roads? can't wait !

Put a No-Toil pre-lubed filter in it (which is a little cheezy on the mating surface, so plenty of marine grease went on it) and went for a ride on the ranch.

Fwiw, I've used UNI filters forever, but with the last UNI, the seams just seemed to disintegrate after a good cleaning. What's up with THAT??? ?

Picked up, then fitted a new (to me) Bills Pipes Thunder Series tailpipe?

IMAG0393.jpg

All I can say is WOW :bonk: what a beautiful noise !!!!! ?

Feel sorry for anyone behind me - but that's their problem ....................... try to get in front !!?

Updated my tired old wheels - when I bought the bike last year the previous owner had left them in a shocking state?

A lot of elbow grease and preparation and I think they look 100% better?

IMAG0373.jpg

?:bonk:? ? :bonk:

Nice! I love the look of black wheels.

I was actually pretty pissed off to find out that my pre-ordered 2012 WR-450 has silver wheels, but the damn European model has Black. Grrrrrr.

• Like 1

Nice! I love the look of black wheels.

I was actually pretty pissed off to find out that my pre-ordered 2012 WR-450 has silver wheels, but the damn European model has Black. Grrrrrr.

Cheers - it's getting better all the time - just added a new pipe .......... sounds lovely (probably be a bit too attractive to the fuzz though ? )

Would love to have a 2012 wr-450 with any coloured wheels? double jealous !!! :bonk: Enjoy it !!

I was fortunate enough to meet Rob (ur2silly) and his lovely wife yesterday.

Rob offered to help me diagnose the starter issue on my '03 WR450, so I loaded it up and drove down to meet him.

He really knows his stuff and showed me a lot, and isolated the cause to my starter motor. Only 1 of the 4 commutator sleeves had any readable resistance. Getting it out of the frame was a lesson all in itself.

We fixed a few odds and ends on the bike, put the starter motor back on, kicked it and rode about 30 miles through some nice trails and an old sand quarry.

Fun stuff, and he's a real solid rider. His wife rode along with us on a 4x4 and made quick work of the terrain as well. Really nice folks, and I can't thank Rob enough for offering this help to a complete stranger - proving that good folks still exist.

Like I mentioned, I "need" a starter motor now, so I'll be looking for an '04 setup (starter, gear assy & cover) to replace the '03.

If anyone has one they want to sell, or sees one online, give me a shout - I'll be looking for one.

I know it's not essential to ride the bike, but the e-start was helping this old man (post knee surgeries) get the beast running.

Thanks again, Rob.

-new brake pads front and rear

-2 new gears and a new shift fork in the transmission

-new main bearings and a new WR426 con rod

-new 426 piston and cylinder

-new timing chain

-bunch of new seals and o-rings

-5 angle valve job with new valves and valve guide seals

-cylinder head ported

-adjusted fuel screw out and set idle speed to "purr"

-broke in the new rings and cylinder

-grinned

I've been slaving away in the garage for a couple of days now. I really need to quit being so picky or just get faster. The front end is all back together and the swing arm is done. Rear wheel and the motor and I'll have it all ready for another year of riding. Can't wait.

How often do you clean out all the bearings and repack? I have been doing it every year now, I think I'll go to every other year? The grease has looked great and no rust starting. Looks way better than when I did it from the factory.

I believe the people who have the bearing problems ride where its muddy all the time and or use a pressure washer to clean their ride. I have always used a garden hose and never a problem. I regrease about once every 3 years. The grease and bearings always looks good I do use a high quality moly grease from Scheaffer's. ?

I've been slaving away in the garage for a couple of days now. I really need to quit being so picky or just get faster. The front end is all back together and the swing arm is done. Rear wheel and the motor and I'll have it all ready for another year of riding. Can't wait.

How often do you clean out all the bearings and repack? I have been doing it every year now, I think I'll go to every other year? The grease has looked great and no rust starting. Looks way better than when I did it from the factory.

Worked 12 hours Monday, got off at 4, went to the bank, picked up my trailer from home along with the 14 year old, left the house at 5 and drove 350 miles round trip to pick up his new 08 WR450F!!!!!!!! Got home at midnight and back to work by 6.

Can't wait to go riding this weekend with a new toy to the collection.