What did you do to your WR today?

So after throwing on the new stuff from this motorcycle shop by me I went out with some friends and rode this field nearby a friends house. It was icey at first, then it was a mud bog... so at no point was traction ideal!

165532_492321297616_526562616_6270882_4787131_n.jpg

New brake pads from my friendly local motorcycle shop.. Front AND rear. The old ones were mere MM from being gone. This should be new and interesting... being able to stop whenever I want and with the quickness!

164061_492329227616_526562616_6271117_295129_n.jpg

There's another sunday picture for good measure!

Well got mine all together after the full rebuild but it won't start :smirk:

Not getting fuel, pretty sure the floats are stuck. So carb comes back off tomorrow B)

At least I was trying a bare bones starting, no suspension back on yet or anything, just motor, carb ,exhaust and airbox.

Damn, even Moab is in the 20s. I am dying to get back out on the WR but its too damn cold. Living within 4 hours of Moab and it is just too cold. The Dr has given my the green light on the knee and I am ready to go. I may head to St George next weekend if it warms up. If it doesn't, it looks like I will join in the South West Crawl Festival with the Jeep.

I changed my steering stem bearings yesterday. Man did that suck. I knew they felt like they were full of gravel but I had no idea how hit they really were. I pulled my steering damper off and it still felt like it was turned up too high. They were rusted and pitted pretty badly.

To change the races, I bought a steering race press but failed to buy the removal tool. I fashioned one out of 1" conduit about two feet long. I slit the one end back about 2" on 120 degree intervals to make 3 fingers. Then I bent the fingers out with pliers. The tool gets inserted small end first and snapped past the race. The race can now be driven out. It works best if you make sure the ends of the fingers get ground square with a sharp edge. Heavier wall tubing like schedule 10 sprinkler pipe or .083 wall DOM tube would have probably worked better but this conduit was all that I made the effort to buy (found it lying on the ground outside in the snow).

Then I started on the lower stem bearing. Yuck. It's pressed onto the stem, and the stem is pressed into the lower triple clamp. Apparently the correct way to remove the bearing is to press the shaft downward out of both the bearing and fork bracket at once. After bending my 10 ton shop press and using half a bottle of MAPP gas, I had no such luck. I had the clamp pretty hot and the bearing glowing as orange as a melting KTM and it would not budge. Frustrated, I started cooling the now glove-melting stem from the inside with fist fulls of snow. Then I dropped the whole thing into a snow pile. After the steam cleared, I thought I would try the process again. I picked it up by the now cool bearing and it slid off in my hand practically. Sweet I'll take it!

The rest of the assembly went fairly smooth. Pressed the new bearing and seal in place with a piece of PVC. Lucas waterproof grease. Now it is like polished glass when I turn the bars.

Whew!

Shock and fork oil changes are next, then chain and sprockets. Just got my stuff from vortex racing (thanks for the sponsorship this year!) the other day. Then maybe look up a spare wheel set. My 5 sets of tires should be coming from Dunlop (thanks geomax amateur support!) this week. See you guys next time.

Thanks for posting that. I'm doing my steering stem bearings on Saturday night. Mine are beyond miserable. The bars practically deadlock at 12 o'clock, and I have to break them free. Makes for very interesting riding...

Greased the shock linkage, and checked out how my spare front wheel fits with the yz spacers - DOH wrong ones! WIll take tham back to the shop.

The shop owner was sure to tell me he had an 09 WR with YZ forks in the back. Hmmm...how to get the wife to tell me to trade up...

Planning to add screws to the spare front wheel with the crappy tire, and picking up a rear tire to add screws to so I can tear up some snow!

I bought a 2006 WR450F from a friend, and promptly blew out both fork seals... one was just a minor weep, but the other was a projectile vomit onto the brake disc B)

So: into the tool zone- I know for most people, replacing seals is like changing the oil; no big deal... but I was apprehensive

I figured, whats the worst I could do? Lose parts? Screw up the new seals? Undo a cap without releasing pressure and have it take my eye out? Put it together in the wrong order?

All very real possibilities, know my wrench talent, but assessing the issues helped me relax... worst case (other than loss of binocular vision) was to buy more parts, swallow my pride and have the shop fix it.

So I bought the seals, but the driver was not in stock; due to lurking habits on thumper-talk, I decided to fabricate my own... let's see; appropriate size of pvc in the garage- check! Hack saw- check! Hose clamps- check!

Set the PVC in the vise, and start the bisecting process... hhmmmm... duh... the vised piece of pipe is not letting the blade move... I'll just hold the PVC in my hand, and cut it like that.... now that the bisecting process of my FINGER is complete, I'll figure something ELSE out...

seal driver complete, superglued fingertip complete, cursing fit complete, assuring my wife I am completely capable of doing this myself complete...

now to the "how to"

rtsp://v2.cache2.c.youtube.com/CjgLENy73wIaLwluGVWh1uSNYxMYJCAkFEIJbXYtZ29vZ2xlSARSB3Jlc3VsdHNgndvTxJKrhfZMDA==/0/0/0/video.3gp

this was PERFECT... every single thing was covered! NOW! If my ADD-riddled personality would've let me pay attention to the whole thing, it would've been a piece of cake... watch the WHOLE thing! all parts...

the only issue I had was not "setting" the washer and bushing with the tool before setting the seal... lesson learned, and it will go much easier next time

Front tire OFF, ready to dig in...

forks.jpg

what have I got myself into?

forks3.jpg

hey... almost like I know what I'm doing!

forks1.jpg

how do I put the tire back on?

THAT'S what I did to my WR, (yesterday technically)

Thumpertalk, again, gave me the confidence to try something new, so thanks for all the support, even if you didn't know you were supporting me...:smirk:

Your video link didn't work. I look forward to seeing it as I need to service my front forks soon! I've heard going higher on the oil level helps them a bit? Not sure, but I'm looking forward to hearing what you have to say on the matter.

sorry about that>>>youtube search... replace fork seals...blackberry induced lameness

Mocky Mountain has a two part video on YT that is pretty complete.

Finished my 07's complete overhaul, new look. It was time for a new bike but with the costs of a new one versus the used market, not to mention this bike was already so customized for me, suspension, ergos, etc. So I decided to throw a bunch of money at this bike and make it new....

List goes;

new valves, springs, seals and exhaust guides

piston JE 13.5-1

camchain

rear camchain guide

Jardine exhaust

balancer shaft and bearings

impeller shaft and seals, bearings

new needle jet emulsion tube in carb

Trail Tech stator and reg

Trail Tech X2 headlight- no pic yet, coming soon

various new chassis bearings

chain and sprockets

brake pads

tires

handguards

plastics

graphics

Had head flow ported, and went with YZ intake and WR exhaust cam this time to retain the estart.

Rebuilt forks and shock, SKF fork seals :smirk: and a general greasing, and polishing of everything.

That's all I can remember right now anyways....

Now I just have to wait for it to warm up out as she's being a bitch to start B)

wrrebuild084.jpg

wrrebuild085.jpg

wrrebuild082.jpg

wrrebuild079.jpg

wrrebuild080.jpg

A couple shots of the motor during rebuild

new034.jpg

new035-1.jpg

The head

new038-1.jpg

Finished my 07's complete overhaul

Looks good as usual!

looks awesome tribal ...you get it going?

looks awesome tribal ...you get it going?

No I went back to my original jetting and it sounds like it wants to. Definately getting gas now. But it's been like 0 degrees here the last week. Even in my shop it's cool, not much above freezing. My bike was already bitchy to start when it was cold out with the HC piston and YZ cams. I'm just calling it good now for a month or so, then when it warms up we'll see how she goes....

If it doesn't want to go I suspect the Trail Tech stator. Timing's good, getting gas, getting spark, but enough????

Looks good as usual!

No I went back to my original jetting and it sounds like it wants to. Definately getting gas now. But it's been like 0 degrees here the last week. Even in my shop it's cool, not much above freezing. My bike was already bitchy to start when it was cold out with the HC piston and YZ cams. I'm just calling it good now for a month or so, then when it warms up we'll see how she goes....

If it doesn't want to go I suspect the Trail Tech stator. Timing's good, getting gas, getting spark, but enough????

mine was always hard to start cold... anything below 30's and it was tough. It would start any other time in just a few seconds...

Had head flow ported, and went with YZ intake and WR exhaust cam this time to retain the estart.

QUOTE]

Nice bike, I really like it.

Why did you go with a YZ intake cam and stick with the WR exhaust cam? My understanding is the intake cams are the same and that its the exhaust cams that are different.

I put a YZ exhaust cam in my 06 WR and love it.

Thanks

Did a full wash down and oil change in one of my forks before work today. Seals and wipers looked mint, so I left them on. Filled her up with 5w Maxima to 110mm down, and screwed it shut. Yeah I was late for work but they will get over it. On to the other one tonight.

mine was always hard to start cold... anything below 30's and it was tough. It would start any other time in just a few seconds...

Yeah, first start of the day when it's cold.

A couple races early and late season up high in the mountains I was cursing and having to bomb start it in the morning to get it going :smirk: