• Announcements

• Bryan Bosch

VIDEO RIDING TIP!   11/15/2017

How to ride rutted corners with Garrahan Off-Road Training

2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,514 posts in this topic

The Yamalink replaces the lower shock link with one slightly longer. This lowers the seat by about 1.5", gives an increased leverage ratio, improves traction, stability & cornering.

Very easy to fit - took about an hour including dropping the forks a few mm, resetting the sag, having a coffee and taking it for a test ride.

I think ima have to get me one. Hight is an issue for me because I'm only 5'7 having it a little lower would be great. I looked them up and they talk about changing springs. Seeing that I'm no pro rider and don't do anything fancy. You think I could get away with stock spring?

I would never run a lowering link. you are fine at 5'7", just decrease the spring preload. the link ruins your suspension geometry, you will bottom out all the time too

travertt, on 17 April 2012 - 08:15 PM, said:

re-set the sag.

You're gonna have fun!!!

What is that? Does it lower it some? Sorry for the ignorance jus never heard of it and curious

Go to the following link to learn about setting the sag. Its step #1 in having your rear suspension set up properly.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

You really should to do this.

Also, if you finf that you can only get your tip toes on the ground when standing still...I highly recommend the Yamalink. It will make your ride a whole lot more fun...and safer.

http://motorcycleloweringlinks.com/

I would never run a lowering link. you are fine at 5'7", just decrease the spring preload. the link ruins your suspension geometry, you will bottom out all the time too

Sorry

I have to respectfully disagree!!

Been running mine for two years and no problems with my suspension "geometry". The fact of the matter is that 90% of riders are not that highly skilled to have a lowering link ruin their ride due to non-stock steering geometry. The guys I ride with have all commented on how much improved my riding is due to the ability to get my feet on the ground when I need to..its a big confidence builder.. It also makes things waaaaaay more fun when you're not always worried about dumping the bike. Lets you increase speed and take more chances. ...AND I have never bottomed my suspension.

I have ridden my WR450 with and without the link...with the link is 100% better (for me at 5'8")...maybe you should give it a try ...unless of course you're "vertically gifted". :thumbsup:

1 person likes this

<p>After ~3000km (9 months) since I own the bike, the valve clearance is a little out of specs. (I don't know how much the previous owner had before)

I decided to give her some new shims.2012-04-18143437.jpg2012-04-18141604.jpg2012-04-18143505.jpg

Go to the following link to learn about setting the sag. Its step #1 in having your rear suspension set up properly.

http://www.tootechra...ension_tips.htm

You really should to do this.

Also, if you finf that you can only get your tip toes on the ground when standing still...I highly recommend the Yamalink. It will make your ride a whole lot more fun...and safer.

http://motorcycleloweringlinks.com/

The tipy toe problem is what I have and I'm only 140 pounds it's not like I weigh enough to make the bike go down. I did soften up the spring a little and it helped some but I think I'm definitely going to get the yamalink, like n16ht5 said it messes up the geometry of the suspension....ummmm I'm not that great and into riding, considering I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back. :/ . I jus ride everyone in a while. Like I said I'm no pro. I jus like to itch that scratch every once in a while,

If you don't reset sag it will bottom very easily and turn slowly.

How to adjust rear suspension sag -> http://www.tootechracing.com/suspension_tips.htm

At 5' 6" the YamLink has made the bike much easier to handle thus improving my confidence. I'm no pro rider (way too many miles on my clock for that!) but I'll take what I can so I can enjoy my riding more.

Service from ML2 to the UK was fantastic too. Full tracking, delivery within a week, and full fitting instructions supplied. The instructions plus YouTube fitting video made the job as easy as an oil change.

If you buy one - RESET YOUR SAG. The job is a bit more than the 3 bolts of the link. Not much more, but make sure you factor in an extra 30 minutes or so to adjust your forks and RESET YOUR SAG.

Actually the unit sold by Yamalink can improve geometry.

http://www.motorcycleloweringlinks.com/index.php?content=yamaha-lowering-link

http://www.motorcycleloweringlinks.com/index.php?content=wr_lowering_yz_lowering_faqs

The tipy toe problem is what I have and I'm only 140 pounds it's not like I weigh enough to make the bike go down. I did soften up the spring a little and it helped some but I think I'm definitely going to get the yamalink, like n16ht5 said it messes up the geometry of the suspension....ummmm I'm not that great and into riding, considering I have 2 herniated disk in my lower back. :/ . I jus ride everyone in a while. Like I said I'm no pro. I jus like to itch that scratch every once in a while,

maybe you will be okay then.. I regularly bottom out my shock at stock height *with sag set correctly. I weigh 145lb, 5'9". I would still never use a lowering link, unless I was like 5'3

Did a partial strip down to replace some bolts & fix brake light not working. The previous owner must have used a 3 foot bar on everything while blind folded. Everything was way too tight and rounded off. On top of that the bike seems to be held together with whatever he could find on the garage floor. The sub frame was held on with 3 different types of bolt.

I have ordered a S/S allen head bolt kit and will be going over it thoroughly with a torque wrench.

Thinking of getting some neoprene fork gaiters (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190641327398) to keep the fork bottoms in good condition too.

Just ordered a 15t front sprocket for my 98 wr400, just to get a bit more poke on the roads, also like the look of those neoprene gaitors. Thinking of getting some neoprene fork gaiters ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/190641327398) to keep the fork bottoms in good condition too.

Do you have to have the forks stripped down or can I just wrap around?

Simon

Took my new to me 05 wr450 out for the first time !

It didnt start out so well ......I got 1.6 miles and then it died and would not restart &%$#@!! After 1 mile of coasting and .6 of pushing

in 90+ degrees, I changed the plug and adjusted the fuel mixture screw from 1.75 out to 2.25 and it hauled ass the rest of the the

day. I rode it like a little girl though, it had plenty of power I just didnt feel comfortable in the turns yet.

It is a whole different animal than my old ass 2 stroke I have been ridding for ten years .

Time to start tuning the new suspesion .

DSCN0013.jpg

DSCN0020.jpg

DSCN0015.jpg

IMG886.jpg

Edited by still2smokin
1 person likes this

_MG_6967.JPGNice 2smoke... Thats some sKill to foul a plug like that on a 4 stroke lol, cool looking bike though.

I put the stock airfilter back on... After comparing it to the twin air.. Wow, the stock one looks like it filters a lot better. Ill take extra protection over .25hp gain from the twin air.

Went for a ride around the neighborhood too

Actually it didnt foul, I took it out to see if it was getting spark and just changed it for the hell of it.

I am pretty sure it was just to lean.

Getting some more seat time tomorrow !!!

Picked up a barely used '09 last week. Added GYTR tank shroud graphics, 2012 YZ front fender, Z-carbon headlight eliminator, new tires, steering damper, titanium shock spring. Removed the computer, tail light and all associated wires and set the sag. Tomorrow is the first ride!

2009WR450F.jpg

_MG_6967.JPGNice 2smoke... Thats some sKill to foul a plug like that on a 4 stroke lol, cool looking bike though.

I put the stock airfilter back on... After comparing it to the twin air.. Wow, the stock one looks like it filters a lot better. Ill take extra protection over .25hp gain from the twin air.

Went for a ride around the neighborhood too

I would frame the hell out of that picture.

2 people like this

Installed Tusk fork bleeders, and 30mm risers. Then took it out to Ballinger Canyon OHV area and tested it out with the new resprung suspension. What a difference! Able to stand up now without hunching over, and was able to attack everyhting with more speed. And with the new suspension the rear end does not squat down and wander when I gas it or go faster than 35 mph. They are not kidding about just setting up your suspension to go faster is the best money spent.