2006wr450f

What did you do to your WR today?

4,514 posts in this topic

This what I have for pics. Decals from eBay.

Thanks for the pics. For some reason I thought you had a 2012. I', looking for some graphics for my 2012 wr450 and just wanted to see some bikes with graphics.

On my 2013 WR450F I installed a Devol Link,  it dropped the rear 1 1/4", & greased the rear suspension linkage. While I was at it I pulled the triple clamps and greased the steering head bearings. I suspect everyone already knows this but from the factory Yamaha puts just enough grease on parts so they do not corrode in the crate during the boat ride from Japan. What I did notice on the lower steering head bearing was several very fine, 1/8" long aluminum shavings on the bearing. I suspect from pressing the lower bearing onto the aluminum stem. I like to used Belray water proof grease on all points. I have been using it for years and it seems to remain even when I use a pressure washer. I should get my seat back from being lowered by SDG Monday. This should allow me to touch both feet on the ground while in the saddle. I can't wait to ride it.

Edited by DRZ04

On my 2013 WR450F I installed a Devol Link,  it dropped the rear 1 1/4", & greased the rear suspension linkage. While I was at it I pulled the triple clamps and greased the steering head bearings. I suspect everyone already knows this but from the factory Yamaha puts just enough grease on parts so they do not corrode in the crate during the boat ride from Japan. What I did notice on the lower steering head bearing was several very fine, 1/8" long aluminum shavings on the bearing. I suspect from pressing the lower bearing onto the aluminum stem. I like to used Belray water proof grease on all points. I have been using it for years and it seems to remain even when I use a pressure washer. I should get my seat back from being lowered by SDG Monday. This should allow me to touch both feet on the ground while in the saddle. I can't wait to ride it.

After installing the link & the cut down seat now I can touch the ball of one foot and the tip toe of the other on the ground. It gives me confidence that I will be able to dab a foot if needed on the trail to keep from falling.

Took forks apart, now just waiting for the seals to come in and turns out i need new rubber stops in the top of the fork -.- 

IMG_1080.JPG

IMG_1082.JPG

Put a newer carb from a 2004 WR450 on my 1999 WR00. Got it all bolted up and fuel started pouring out the float bowl. Got a new gasket the next day and it still leaked a little but it was slowed enough to at least see if it would run. It wouldn't idle so I bought new jets and a different brand float bowl gasket that actually stopped the leak. Put new jets in, still wouldn't idle with fuel screw adjustments so I put in a larger pilot jet. Got it to idle but with some popping and hanging idle, adjusted the fuel screw and smoothed it out. took it for a test ride and there's a little stutter right off idle and doesn't seem to pull as hard but I think the big bad bog is gone. My main goals with updating the carb were getting rid of the bog and getting it to cold start easier. I'll fire it up again tomorrow when it's cooled down and see if that is better now, but I know it still needs some fine tuning. Lessons learned for a carb swap: replace the jets no matter how good they look, K&L gaskets are shit.

I got one of the last 6.8 gal safari tanks in the mail for the 03-06 wr450. all I can say is WOW. Holds the gas much lower thank the acherbis 6.6 and looks much smaller. Pics coming soon. Safari discontinued this tank but there are a few floating around at dealers. I got it for 450 on close out. 

Rode it, wrecked it, and layed on the couch the rest of the day in pain. Yes the bike is ok, but after taking my handlebars straight to the ribs it is a little tough to breathe

Installed a quick turn throttle and new grips as well as ...

Re-greased the linkage, swing arm , wheels and steering bearings.

After putting them in two years ago all of them were perfect still except

the steering bearing , lots of water came out when I disassembled the T/C.

Water proof grease is a must have.

20131103_132930_zpsf137c05c.jpg

20131029_233329_zpsef0dd774.jpg

20131103_132942_zps0c3c0578.jpg

20131029_233520_zpsb115620c.jpg

20131029_210928_zps0025baf8.jpg

All back together and ready to load in the morning for a ride.

Edited by still2smokin
1 person likes this

vidstill12_zps68a46473.jpg

vidstill10_zps91220a6d.jpg

vidstill7_zps4e5ac62a.jpg

vidstill6_zpsa735865f.jpg

vidstill1_zps617b4297.jpg

I highly recommend a quick turn throttle tube,  very noticeable on long hill climbs with whoops.

2 people like this

Blue on top of the hill. Red a no go. Lone tree cyn.

2013-11-10142631_zps82a3d28b.jpg

2013-11-10143637_zpsaa6cf749.jpg

Old jet plane crash.

2013-11-10150436_zps11b52a6b.jpg

2 people like this

Where is that plane crash? is looks like a BD10. I had a friend crash his BD10 he didn't make it.

I put mirrors on the bike today. Got them off eBay for under $20.00 including shipping. They are bar end mirrors that I mounted to face inside. The brackets are aluminum. No vibration, and they are tucked in out of the way of *things*, though the next time I go over the bars they might get hit by me...

The pics dont really show it, but the mirrors are convex and have great coverage side to side.  They replaced my one Acerbis plastic mirror.  Pretty happy with them.

I am running a stock brake lever on the brake, so moving the lever in wasnt an issue.  I have an ASV clutch lever and it is a very tiny bit short now since I have the light switch in the way, but not enough to do anything about.  I think I could grind down the mirror bracket if I wanted, and probably get 1/8 to 3/16 more lever. Or just switch back to the stock clutch lever...

mirror-1.jpg

mirror-2.jpg

cheers-

Dustin

Edited by SurfaceToAir