What did you do to your WR today?

That's some coin to throw into a vitage ride.

What Year and can we get a pic of the bike in full trim?

It is a 1992 Yamaha WR500, built around February or March of 1991. Build sequence # 00163. I've got it titled and street registered. I always wanted one of these air hammers, and it's an incredible rush. Not quite as explosive as a KX500, but pretty much on par as a CR500. I've had the head and cylinder extensively modified by Eric Gorr, and the suspension has been redone by Tech Care. The lighting coil has been replaced by a Moose KX500 75W model, and the bike has a mixture of Sicass Racing, Polisport and Enduro Engineering components on it. It's equipped with Vaportech Endurance computer. It's even got a gell cell battery and real-deal motorbike horn.

A vintage machine, yes - It's definitely a nostalgia bike - probably not as much low-end torque as a 450, but it's got a top-end rush that throws roost at 50 MPH in fourth gear. Fifth takes me to at least 80 MPH, and I haven't found a trail long or straight enough in Michigan to push it any farther. One downside to the WR500 is that it's a 262 pound machine running an early-nineties YZ suspension. That makes it a handful on tight Michigan woods trails. Open fire trails are where this bike shines. However it's suspension is WORLDS better than the previous dirt bike suspensions I've used, especially since I had Tech Care go through it.

The nice part is there are no radiators to mess with, no valve adjustments either. I can remove the entire induction system in about ten minutes, and a top-end can be done in one afternoon.

26362251957.jpg?1240024731

BTW, Here is the completed clutch cover that houses the new autoclutch.

wr500_ac4.sized.jpg

26362251959.jpg?1240024745

i've done nothing as cool as you guys, but painted the front of the frame where it has been bombarded by stones over the years. lubed the chain. just generally gone round it making sure it will be ready to ride when i get chance,,,, which is gonna be about a month:cry::ride::lol:

looks a lot better now though!

stared at mine longingly before starting to shovel over a foot of snow...

Changed the oil and lubed the chain in preparation to going riding Monday with my daughter and all next weekend with friends.

I bought a 05 with 50 orig. miles. It came with a white bros exhaust and 2 hot cams in the package. I cleaned the carb, did the grey wire mod, ap pump mod,installed the wb exhaust, jd jetting, put in engine ice and changed the oil. It was a blast to ride!

I worked on my 06 wr450 for all of 4 min. Im putting a Tusk brand "Enduro lighting kit" on. Installed horn and flasher relay. Still have the headlight high/low to install. Then bleed the brakes and Im done. Tricky when I can only seem to work on it in 5 min. intervals. (anyone know if the original headlight has the capacity for high/low?)

Yes at least my 09 has a two filament light bolbe.

I'm still tweeking the front suspention lookink for that spot where its just right for me

The polish looks great! Good job! How far did you have to tear the bike down?

Sat there, stared at it and then went inside to get warm. Was tempted to ride in the snow!:ride:

It is a 1992 Yamaha WR500, built around February or March of 1991. Build sequence # 00163. I've got it titled and street registered. I always wanted one of these air hammers, and it's an incredible rush. Not quite as explosive as a KX500, but pretty much on par as a CR500. I've had the head and cylinder extensively modified by Eric Gorr, and the suspension has been redone by Tech Care. The lighting coil has been replaced by a Moose KX500 75W model, and the bike has a mixture of Sicass Racing, Polisport and Enduro Engineering components on it. It's equipped with Vaportech Endurance computer. It's even got a gell cell battery and real-deal motorbike horn.

A vintage machine, yes - It's definitely a nostalgia bike - probably not as much low-end torque as a 450, but it's got a top-end rush that throws roost at 50 MPH in fourth gear. Fifth takes me to at least 80 MPH, and I haven't found a trail long or straight enough in Michigan to push it any farther. One downside to the WR500 is that it's a 262 pound machine running an early-nineties YZ suspension. That makes it a handful on tight Michigan woods trails. Open fire trails are where this bike shines. However it's suspension is WORLDS better than the previous dirt bike suspensions I've used, especially since I had Tech Care go through it.

The nice part is there are no radiators to mess with, no valve adjustments either. I can remove the entire induction system in about ten minutes, and a top-end can be done in one afternoon.

26362251957.jpg?1240024731

BTW, Here is the completed clutch cover that houses the new autoclutch.

wr500_ac4.sized.jpg

26362251959.jpg?1240024745

very nice WR... had a 92 wr200 and loved it.. I always wanted a 500 also...

jay

Rode it :ride:

Then replaced my front brake cable with a Goodrich stainless steel one.

My old brake line had worn right through the outer liner and part way through the inner where it rubs on the top guide.

replaced my front brake cable with a Goodrich stainless steel one.

details and part numbers:bonk: (please:busted:)

details and part numbers:bonk: (please:busted:)

So details... I rode with it today.

I wouldn't say the braking was much more powerful but it certainly gave a much better feel, more progressive and responsive :ride:

Uncorked the Exhaust on my 400 for the first time! Then went on one of the most amazing 90 mile speed/dual sport/power/scenic runs ever! :ride:

GPS.jpg

WR.jpg

Blew out my shock, dumped its juice in the bed of the truck. Well, guess now is as good a time as any for a revalve. :ride:

Rode it with my two best bros and my daughter. What a great day.

SANY0424.jpg

SANY0425.jpg

SANY0426.jpg

58 miles on suday @ dove springs, today I changed my oil and filter for the first time getting ready for next weekends desert dash dual sport ride just north of san diego.