What did you do to your WR today?

I bought an 07 450 today (woo hoo) after test riding it! I am soo excited to get it home next week and get it muddy! I ordered radiator guards at the shop and they are going to install them for me before it take it home. Thumpertalk was invaluable in my research to select a bike. I was looking at a lot of different colors, but big blue has always been my favorite.

I bought an 07 450 today (woo hoo) after test riding it! I am soo excited to get it home next week and get it muddy! I ordered radiator guards at the shop and they are going to install them for me before it take it home. Thumpertalk was invaluable in my research to select a bike. I was looking at a lot of different colors, but big blue has always been my favorite.

Congrats on the purchase. May I suggest tearing down the linkage and all swingarm pivot points for regreasing weather the bike is new or used. At the factory they put minimal grease for god knows what reason.

I let mine go too long and today when inspecting all of it I didnt like what I found. All new bearings, seals, spacers, and bolts, are needed.

Edited by resinlips

I brought my "new" lightly used 07 WR 450 home today and took it for a ride. As I was riding, I was thinking, "where has this bike been all my life?" Now I know why you guys are all hooked.

I had them put on Moose radiator braces. I'll post pics as soon as I figure out how. Not that you can see the braces anyway.

Intalled the yamalink on my 09wr450 I'm still wating for works conection skid plate from chaparral let me down orderd plate on the 6th and I haven't got it talked to some supervisor and asked to send someone to werehose next door to get it for me and she seid they couldnt do that they were behind I'm pised.

Installed my black unabiker rad guards, added F&R brake light switches, and a handle bar headlight switch for high and low beam headlight, on my 07 wr450.

Other mods I did previously were JD jet kit, zip-ty fuel mixture screw, all free mods, billit insert w one 1/2 hole drilled in baffle behind insert, AIS delete, greased all rear suspension, need to do front steering head still, DOH!,? , extra rear wheel with paddle tire mounted, top speed I got in sand w paddle tire was 78mph, that all she had, lol.

Thus I since added the 1/2 hole, currious to see if it any faster next dune trip.

Did I say how much I love this bike, :ride:.

next up will be a new skid plate.

comtnrider, That's good to hear, can't wait to try it out fully when the snow stops flying here. We ride mostly tough single track in the mountains of NM, pretty nasty. You probably do the same in Colorado. Thanks for the reply Comtnrider! Full ride report coming soon.

Well, it's not exactly a 450, more like a 501cc after rebore... but (!) It is a WR, one of only about a 1000 ever made. I hope you don't mind...

--

I painted my modified clutch cover last night. It's now Mercedes silver in color and matches the engine cases moderately well. I milled it open, then re-welded a new top onto it, thus extending it .250" outwards in order to clear the custom EFM Autoclutch, which Garry at EFM custom-CNCed for my WR500:

EFM_autoclutch2.sized.jpg

I haven't yet taken a picture of it, but the clutch cover, after TIG welding the magnesium, required a bit of work to make the welds nearly invisible. In fact, it's tough to tell that it's even been modified.

Here it is, as a two-piece, before welding:

EFM_autoclutch3.sized.jpg

Here's another shot that shows a closeup of the autoclutch basket, and the captive clutch plate. The clutch is normally disengaged, and then as RPM picks up, all those ball bearings get flung outwards down ramps by centrugal force, and that pushes the captive clutch plate into the clutch pack, engaging the clutch. It should help make that big Eric-Gorr ported 2-stroke a bit more tractable in the woods. The clutch fanning was killin' me in the tight stuff and I've climbed more than my share of trees. Plus, when you kill the motor with too much rear brake, it's a pain to kick over that 500 2t, especially when you are already panting from the labor of squeezing 36-inch wide handlebars through a 32-inch trail. The next mod is to tuck in the forks, pull the rear wheel forward as far as possible, then get me some hi-rise, shorty handlebars.

EFM_autoclutch4.sized.jpg