Sign in to follow this  

Attempting Dry Rebuild

Hey all.

Attempting my first Dry Rebuild Tomorrow. Spent countless hours researching this through the search function and have discovered some great tips.

However I cannot seem to find a step by step guide (need one im rather nervous!)

Can anyone direct me to a post Which may help me further ??

Cheers!

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=477006&highlight=je+1+season

That'll get you going.

Hone cylinder with ball hone. Wipe cylinder with brake cleaner until towel is clean.

Put rings in cylinder and check end gaps.

Oil the pin and bearing on the piston only. Drop cylinder onto piston. Cycle up and down with brake cleaner.

I'm with ya on everything except the brake cleaner while cycling the engine. What's that for and couldn't it work it's way into the bottom end?

I'm with ya on everything except the brake cleaner while cycling the engine. What's that for and couldn't it work it's way into the bottom end?

The cylinder is off the bike.

Good luck oiling the bearing.:D

Oil the pin and bearing on the piston only. Drop cylinder onto piston. Cycle up and down with brake cleaner.

I understand using it to clean the cylinder after honing, but I thought he meant when the engine is assembled....Where you at Mike? Please un-confuse me! :busted:

Hey Fletch, I just went through the same thing and may be able to help. Oil the piston pin and piston pin bore (on the bottom of the piston. I then installed the piston (with rings) and slid the cylinder over it. It's a tight fit and some people put the piston in the cylinder and put the whole setup onto the crankcase and install the circlips. I found that way to be hard because those circlips can be little bitches.

Once the piston is in the cylinder and the cylinder is on, cut 4 pieces of pvc to make up for the size of the head and put the nuts on. This is so you can cycle the piston by hand and get the seal started (don't know how it works but I read to do so). Once the pvc is in place and nuts are on and screwed down (holding the cylinder in place), cycle the piston with the kickstarter. Each time it goes down, wipe the cylinder clean with a paper towel and brake cleaner. Keep doing so until the paper towel picks up no dirt or oil. I think you should cycle about 30-40 times to help seat the rings.

Then install the head and let'er'rip.

Find Kelstr's break-in procedure for help on doing that.

Okay, yea that explains where the brake cleaner comes to play. You probably just spray some cleaner on a rag and wipe it down. I've never done it that way. It sounds like a better way of doing it...In the past, I just assembled the entire engine leaving the cylinder dry and kicked it over like you said. So I never cleaned the cylinder at all. After about 50 slow kicks I would start it. I have had good luck that way, but cleaning off the ring dust would probably make a better seal. Thanks for explaining.