72 Miles on IMS 3.2 CRF450X

I've seen numerous comments on how some are getting 100 miles or more on an IMS 3.2 and I can't figure out how to get even close to that. I went for a leisurely trail ride today with the following ride profile:

Total distance 71.5

Maximum Speed 81.3

Moving Average 30.1

170 main

Air Temp 107F

Humidity 50%

Altitude -20 to 970'

Rider Weight full gear 235#

Here's a couple pics of how much gas is left in the tank. It was filled to about 1/4" from the neck. I figure maybe 10 miles left on the safe side.

[ATTACH]4968[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]4969[/ATTACH]

• Like 1

its because you got a rich jet.

if you ran the 142 it would last 100 miles?

gas is about 6 pounds a gallon and you got a 3.2 tank. i sure bet the heaviness of the bike/rider combo runs down the gas efficiency!!!:banghead:

-btw a 72 mile leisurely ride :eek: what is a long ride to you???

-say you can do 80 miles on the 3.2IMS, divide it and you only get 25 miles to the gallon! that is pretty bad for a motorcycle!!!

I can do 80 miles safely on a trail ride with the 3.2 and maybe a little more but wouldn't want to try it. Pushing a bike through the desert is not fun...Don't ask me how I know that.

Can't run leaner on the main in the heat and can't really cut back any on pack supplies or drinking fluids.....I could stand to lose some weight though....Nah.....

My usual rides this time of year are fairly short ranging from 35-75 miles at least 3 days a week. I've done a little over 200 miles in the last 3 days since fixing the bike. In cooler months I try to get 75-110 miles 3 days a week except on race weeks where I only do 2 days of practice. When I say the 450X gets ridden and flogged relentlessly I'm not kidding. Amazing machine! I feel pretty good right now and would ride again tomorrow but the wife has a list for for me so no ride. I'm bummed.

damn... you probably ride the hardest in the entire forum:crazy:

I'm sure there are people logging more off road miles than I do.....I've spent the last 18 months working as hard as I can preparing for District 38 races which are typically 100 mile ass kickers:worthy: I have yet to finish one of these races without being lapped by the fast guys. I'm hoping to not let that happen by the end of this year:naughty: .....I have to get much faster and much smarter:eek: . Don't know if I have it in me to do it but I'm going to find out and I'm doing it on the 450X:thumbsup: . I'm finally feeling pretty good since injuries last October, February, and April. Broken ribs....9 all together in 3 diggers. Add that to a broken left hand, 2 broken toes, multiple bruises, road rashes, and impaled cactus spines:cry: . Anyway.....Knowing fuel range is a big part of strategy and safety.?

Cooob....

Good report on the mileage!

Lots of variables, and you used GPS to find your average speed I'd presume... cool! (it's what I do with a Garmin Foretrex 201 when pre-running for any Baja - works perfect)

Like I've said over and over... HOW in theeee hell does anyone get close to 100 miles out of a 3.2g?!?! I'd like to see it, ride with'em and see where and how.... as it just blows me away.

Remember the D38 Christmas Team Race?? When I solo'd it for the 9 laps of 9-10 miles per lap?!?!?!

I came in second (Corfman/Tuck Teamed and were 1st), with no pit stops for fuel... on my 3.2G tank. Do the math! Race speeds, 81 or so miles, and about a 1/2" of fuel in the bottom of the tank... at most! I often get a max of 80+ or so miles out of my tank as well. But I do A LOT of goofing off (wheelies, berm shots, throttle blipping...) ? ...playing it safe, I choose to say I can do 80... no MAS!

... and, I'm sure by end of season you'll not be passed!! Your lightning out there! ?:applause:

:ride: Braaap! :ride:

dam cubera i wish i had the time to ride that much i get 1 maybe 2 days a week if i am lucky and usally 50 to 60 miles each ride i wish they would be longer but the guys i ride with don't have the fuel to go further with out pushing lol and i don't want to use my tow strap lol i would have to say i get about 80 also out on my 3'2 but not sure how much further i could go i don't want to push either

i really think fuel mileage is really determined by riding style i know some people who do get pretty good mileage while trail riding just cruzin. like mashy said because i know when i'm up in big bear riding i'll never hit 70mph avgerage is like 45 on my gps do to so many rocky spots and actually the guys i run with are doing pretty good at 60 miles on a stock tank because of the riding area we are in but i guess that works out just about right that makes the average 25 to 26mpg and i get about 80 miles on a tank hmmm.

oh well if they are getting that kind of mileage good for them bad for me lol

rob

Jeeezussss, JJ. My ass is still chapped from that race....We were told for the morning race we couldn't get dinged for not stopping at soft checks....That idea cost me a whole loop. I got docked another loop for following the markers up out of twisted sister....I cheated because I followed the arrows. That was my 'come back' race and I think I finished 300th out of 143:cry: I left the race right when you finished.....I left in complete disbelief too. That was my first real eye opener in District 38 politics and I hope it never happens again.:mad:

I'm using a Garmin EtrexCX and I love the thing. I can come home and plug my ride into Google Earth and do a fly over. I keep it in my pack and it records the ride. I'm kinda bothered by the low mileage on the big tank but I think it has to do with too much throttle chopping (bad habits), too much wheel spin on the marble like rocks and sand dusted hard pack, too much sand, too much heat, and too much weight (mine). Can't practically gear any higher than 14/48.

My job is weird, Rob... I work 12-15 hour shifts and usually get 3 or 4 days off out of 7 because of the long hours....So......I ride every day off. I can ride right out of my garage and be on the 'fitness course' in about 10 minutes. I don't like that course because it is very rocky, very whooped, and very chewed-up. Great practice but not all that enjoyable. Most of the time I load my bike in my little truck and drive about 15 minutes to an area where there are miles and miles of jeep trail, single track, and washes....Nice verticals, G-outs, that kind of thing but very fun also. I try to ride whenever I can with a guy over here who is extremely fast on a KX500....Chasing his dust trail makes me work but makes me faster too. Otherwise I ride alone which makes me very slow but steady. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of here and ride so whenever you want to meet up somewhere I'm down for it.....Just don't bitch if you have to wait for me:p

OK...sorry for all the wind...I'm just excited about the upcoming ride...Can't wait to see you guys and buy y'all tacos y cervesas....That's about the limit of my Spanish vocabulary but I try hard:thumbsup:

30 MPH average speed? No wonder you don't get 100mi from 3.2: you are hookin'! That's probably desert, where I always get 30% worse mileage.

HAHAHAHA! Nah....There are a couple of very fast sections that bring the average up. About 3/4 of it is all twisted, rocked, rutted, off camber...slow stuff. ?

I dont know how i did it, but i went from cal city, over to Randsburg, past by bickle camp, then up to McIvers cabin and on my way down at about Dove springs 113 miles i hit reserve. I barely made it to the jawbone store at 123 miles. I was not the only 450X that made it that far either with a 3.2, and the other 450x i dont even think hit reserve. Talk about crazy, i think he has 15/48 gearing. A 250x with an IMS hit reserve about 15 miles before i did and the xr 400 was fine. My gearing is stock and i went off the stock odometer and you know jetting. NCVS, 42 pilot and 165 main.

Cooob....

Good report on the mileage!

Lots of variables, and you used GPS to find your average speed I'd presume... cool! (it's what I do with a Garmin Foretrex 201 when pre-running for any Baja - works perfect)

Like I've said over and over... HOW in theeee hell does anyone get close to 100 miles out of a 3.2g?!?! I'd like to see it, ride with'em and see where and how.... as it just blows me away.

Remember the D38 Christmas Team Race?? When I solo'd it for the 9 laps of 9-10 miles per lap?!?!?!

I came in second (Corfman/Tuck Teamed and were 1st), with no pit stops for fuel... on my 3.2G tank. Do the math! Race speeds, 81 or so miles, and about a 1/2" of fuel in the bottom of the tank... at most! I often get a max of 80+ or so miles out of my tank as well. But I do A LOT of goofing off (wheelies, berm shots, throttle blipping...) ? ...playing it safe, I choose to say I can do 80... no MAS!

... and, I'm sure by end of season you'll not be passed!! Your lightning out there! ?:applause:

:ride: Braaap! :ride:

I'm down for a ride any time when i get back in town. Maybe its just because we are so slow. I really dont know. I dont ride fast, but i don't feel like we go slow either. We keep a good pace i think

I'm down for a ride any time when i get back in town. Maybe its just because we are so slow. I really dont know. I dont ride fast, but i don't feel like we go slow either. We keep a good pace i think

When do you get back in town??

And should we just say Bygones.... :D It wasn't long I was too pompus and an a-hole to some (of your TC crew and you). :busted:

Either way, we'll do a 'day ride' in Baja next month. About 160 miles in one day. 20+ miles of single track (as a warmup in the am), and the rest jeep trails and more fun. All on a Saturday... :ride: No need to be fast, just consistend and a non-crasher (limiting as to not hurt yourself). There's never any pressure on our rides, slow is just fine too! Speaking of too much pressure... We just had a guy go down and need MCL and ACL surgery in BOTH knees. He had to ride it out another 30 miles to the truck. YYyyyeeeooowwW!

... :cheers: (first round is on you!)

I'm kinda bothered by the low mileage on the big tank but I think it has to do with too much throttle chopping (bad habits), too much wheel spin on the marble like rocks and sand dusted hard pack, too much sand, too much heat, and too much weight (mine). Can't practically gear any higher than 14/48.

I was going to ask about the gearing. Might be that the guys sating they're getting 100+ are higher altitude? I know on my big street bikes, the thin air up high can make a huge differance.

OK...sorry for all the wind...I'm just excited about the upcoming ride...Can't wait to see you guys and buy y'all tacos y cervesas....That's about the limit of my Spanish vocabulary but I try hard:thumbsup:

Can't wait either!! I cleaned up some of my gear yesterday, Bike is mechanicly ready, and I'll wash her up today...

I know riding in Baja is probably old hat for JJ, but I've wanted to ride down there sence I bought my XR650R in 02... I have a hard time concentrating on anything else right now.

I must have looked at Johnnys pics 3 times this weekend!

--these ones: http://www.kodakgallery.com/Slideshow.jsp?Uc=skkgtod.66fcxpkd&Uy=hhehbs&Upost_signin=Slideshow.jsp%3Fmode%3Dfromshare&UV=454006409880_19223404512&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

Jeeezussss, JJ. My ass is still chapped from that race....We were told for the morning race we couldn't get dinged for not stopping at soft checks....That idea cost me a whole loop. I got docked another loop for following the markers up out of twisted sister....I cheated because I followed the arrows. That was my 'come back' race and I think I finished 300th out of 143:cry: I left the race right when you finished.....I left in complete disbelief too. That was my first real eye opener in District 38 politics and I hope it never happens again.:mad:

I'm using a Garmin EtrexCX and I love the thing. I can come home and plug my ride into Google Earth and do a fly over. I keep it in my pack and it records the ride. I'm kinda bothered by the low mileage on the big tank but I think it has to do with too much throttle chopping (bad habits), too much wheel spin on the marble like rocks and sand dusted hard pack, too much sand, too much heat, and too much weight (mine). Can't practically gear any higher than 14/48.

My job is weird, Rob... I work 12-15 hour shifts and usually get 3 or 4 days off out of 7 because of the long hours....So......I ride every day off. I can ride right out of my garage and be on the 'fitness course' in about 10 minutes. I don't like that course because it is very rocky, very whooped, and very chewed-up. Great practice but not all that enjoyable. Most of the time I load my bike in my little truck and drive about 15 minutes to an area where there are miles and miles of jeep trail, single track, and washes....Nice verticals, G-outs, that kind of thing but very fun also. I try to ride whenever I can with a guy over here who is extremely fast on a KX500....Chasing his dust trail makes me work but makes me faster too. Otherwise I ride alone which makes me very slow but steady. I'm always looking for an excuse to get out of here and ride so whenever you want to meet up somewhere I'm down for it.....Just don't bitch if you have to wait for me:p

Sounds like another one of those single guys. :excuseme:

HAHAHAHA! Nah....There are a couple of very fast sections that bring the average up. About 3/4 of it is all twisted, rocked, rutted, off camber...slow stuff. ?

With it being 3/4 twisted, rocked, rutted, off camber slow stuffI would think your average speed would be even lower then 30 mph. I think the problem with you and airtime is your riding style. Just take some time to smell the flowers.

One other thing, what gearing are you running? If you have your dez gearing in on that stuff I would think it would use more gas.