yz250f vs. yz450f

welcome to tt! first of all there is a search link above and to the right. that is very useful since this thread has been discussed many times. but your new so you obviously didnt know that. if you want good answers to your questions here on tt you have to ask good questions. so which is better a 250f or a 450f? isnt a good question. how heavy are you? what class rider are you? do you think you would be able to race your wr if it was lighter? have you ever raced your wr and if you did how did u find it? once we get the answers to these questions, we can help you decide which bike to get.

I am looking at the yz's for as a new track bike and dont know which size is the best for the track. I have a wr250 now.

Dirtbiker is giving you very good advice. I also started with a WR, started riding MX with it and within a year I upgraded to a new YZF450......mistake. I now have a 250F and for me, its a faster bike. Unless you are a really big dude (225+), an A class rider or some combo of both then strongly consider the 250F.

Good luck

Oh yeah i am a newB for sure... haha but i weigh 150 and am 6'. I usually stick to deserts with my wr but i have been hittin up the tracks more often now. I dont really have a problem with the bikes weight when i am at the track it is the suspension which even after adjustment it is not the same as a yz's.

Id go with a YZ 250F. YZs are considerably more powerful stock vs stock than WRs and I think that as light as you are and how you are used to riding a WR 250 that a YZ 450F might be a bit much for you.

YZ 450Fs are animals and if you are used to riding a relatively mild-mannered bike like a WR 250 they might be a bit more than you can handle right now.

I have done all the free mods to my wr and that made a difference with the power...

I did the same thing with my WR......YZ timing, exhaust, grey wire etc...

Doesnt even compare to the out of the box power of a 450. At your size the 250F would be more than enough bike to haul you around.

I recommmend you get the 250F for sure. No question about it. The 450 will be way too much bike for you on most mx tracks. Not to mention you are new to mx and the 250F will be more than enough for your weight, plus easier to ride which saves you energy on the track allowing you to ride longer motos. I strongly suggest you stay away from the 450 as it won't allow you to improve as a rider the way a 250F will, you will simply be more confident on the 250Fs and i know most people new to mx wonder about how fast they can get around the track on a 250F, well let me say this, take a look at the pro racing this year and you will see the 250F guys putting up better lap times than half the 450 field.

pjr- try this sometime: got to a track, and make friends with some of the riders who have YZ250F's and 450F's and ask them if you can try their bikes for a lap or two. I have let strangers take my bike for a spin, so long as they don't come across as a total squid.

Personally, I am a big guy (6'03" 200lbs), and ride a YZ250F that has plenty of power for me, and I find it more fun to wring the snot out of a 250F, than wrestling with a 450F.

Either way, have fun! :applause:

Dirt Rider magazine did a story not too long ago about how to choose the proper size bike, beween a 250 smoker, a 450f, and 250f. They used Yamaha as the test bikes, and what the even good B class rider said was that he feels like he can never ride the 450 to its full potential. Its easy to clear all the jumps on the track, but isnt really fun if you arent using the entire bike. The 250f lets you feel like you are using more of the power, and are actually riding the bike, and is, in turn more fun for anyone but an expert level rider.

I like the 250f because it makes me feel like a factory rider even though Im no where near that level. I can actually ride the bike, instead of the bike letting me come along, if that makes any sense.

I think with the info provided, you'll love a 250f, as its light weight, and has good power. The WR might have all the free mods to make it YZ power, but its still at least 20lbs heavier.

Oh yeah i am a newB for sure... haha but i weigh 150 and am 6'. I usually stick to deserts with my wr but i have been hittin up the tracks more often now. I dont really have a problem with the bikes weight when i am at the track it is the suspension which even after adjustment it is not the same as a yz's.

250F for sure. i weigh 155 and am 6' also, and i have a yz250f, and it is by far enough bike for me. 450's are insane and you should have a lot of track experience before you ride them. i would not upgrade to a 450 myself. maybe in 2 years of constant riding...

if i were you i would go with one of the aluminum frame YZ250Fs. i myself and 5'10" 150 lbs. and my 06 YZ250F hauls ass. i have ridden a YZ450F before and the power was just ridiculous. i loved it except for the fact that after about 3 laps around the track i was gettin beat up. also, weight plays a huge deal in it because (although i have never ridden a 450 on trails..) i ride trails 95 percent of the time and a 450 is too heavy and has too much wheelspin-creating power in the nasty stuff. a 250f is nimble, light, and plenty powerful for anyone other than the most experienced riders. i like to consider myself an experienced rider, but the 450 was too much for me and i know it. try both of them out (i know the 250f is the same displacement as your WR but believe me, they are two TOTALLY different bikes...) and buy the bike you know that you'll be riding for a long time.

I have both bikes and I am 6' 220 lbs and in shape BUT almost 49 years old and I like the 250f better than the 450f but and a big B U T is that I like my 250 2 stroker better than either one! :applause: