Sign in to follow this  

Dented header pipe

I have a 2006 KTM 450 EXC, that now has a dented header pipe. I have tried the "Fill it with water and put it in the freezer" trick about five times and still no results, any ideas ???

I am picking up an 09 KX450 that has a badly dented header pipe i am going to try the freezer method if that doesn't work i am going to find some wood dowel rods that I can wedge in the ends of the pipe, drill a hole in one of the "plugs" and then heat the dent red hot and use compressed air to see if I can move it out. the pipe is completely ruined if this doesn't work so I figure it won't hurt to try

I just removed the dent in my header my putting two expandable rubber plugs on both ends. One of the plugs has an air valve on it. I heated it up with a torch and pressurized it...popped the dent right out:thumbsup:

were did u get the expandable rubber with the air valve

rubber engine block freeze plug, u should be able to get it at auto parts stores

The freeze method will work typically. The last time I did it on my megabomb it took a number of times before it started working. I would say it took 4-5 over night freezes to get it to start moving, but once I saw movement it took only 2-3 more times to remove the dent completely. IMO, try it the free way a few more times and if it still doesnt work, go to plan B (the method above).

rubber engine block freeze plug, u should be able to get it at auto parts stores

or home depot has a nice selection of rubber plugs for plumbing. I would suggest buying some pipe hanger material (galvi strap 3/4" wide with holes in it) take the hanger strap and drill it to fit the stud on the expandable plug, place two pieces of strap under the tightening wing nut on one plug, when you install the plug bend the strap over so a hose clamp can be fitted arround the plug and tighened around the header pipe...it secures the plug so it wont go flying... on the other end, take the expandable plug apart and install a valve stem from a tubless lawn tractor tire in the plug, agian take another two straps and place over the valve stem and install in the header, bend them over and hold the plug tight, use anothe hose clamp to secure the plug tightly..... Now with a regulated air supply (no more than 20-30psi) attached to the valve stem (has to be a continuous supply of air cause its going to leak a bit) heat the dent and watch in amazement as the dent disappears in front of your eyes...:smirk:

I have a 2006 KTM 450 EXC, that now has a dented header pipe. I have tried the "Fill it with water and put it in the freezer" trick about five times and still no results, any ideas ???

It will take more than 5 times. I have done it when everyone said it was impossible :smirk: