sorry guys, I bailed

A Husaberg FE650 has a dry weight of 245lbs.

Is that street-legal in the US? Forgive my ignorance, but I wasn't sure whether you could get a street-legal Husaberg in the US (conversion aside). Also, what is the price in USD? I ask because I've heard some people rave about the KTM 650 model similar to the Suzi DR, I'm pretty sure it's lighter (but not 100 lbs), and it's about 9,000 USD, almost twice the price of a Suzuki.

Trying to get apples-to-apples comparison, you know? Of course, I just asked about "comparable displacement," so the Husaberg (and KTM) qualifies.

The Husaberg costs around the same as the KTM I think, and at least where I live it's street legal. Don't know about the States though. This bike is very powerfull (60+ hp) and very demanding in maintenance, so it's not in the same leage as the DR650SE.

The KTM you are referring to is most probably the 625 SXC (or the 640 LC4 Enduro), which weighs only a few pounds less than the DR.

Or a BMW for that matter. I traded my DR650SE for an Xchallenge this spring. Same reliability as the DR, but better in every aspect I value on a big single cylinder allroad. Suspension, engine, weight distribution, steering, rider position/ergos.

And yes, these alternatives are expensive compared to the bargain price of a DR650. Lets hope Suzuki will keep the price of the DR's successor low.

the X challenge is a nice bike, expensive, but nice. I am surprised no one has mentioned that the DR can lose 10 lbs right off the bat though.

and the comment on the ktm 625........they do not feel that heavy as most of the weight is carried low. (No top heavy feeling) same as the TE610

the X challenge is a nice bike, expensive, but nice. I am surprised no one has mentioned that the DR can lose 10 lbs right off the bat though.

True on that. The first day I got my DR last year I removed the pillion pegs, pillion handrails, license plate holder, blinkers front and rear. Later on the speedo had to go, and I replaced the stock muffler for a lighter but still legal Maving exhaust.

don't we all?

I traded my DR650SE for an Xchallenge this spring. ..........

And yes, these alternatives are expensive compared to the bargain price of a DR650.

All BMW's are expensive compared to all other jap bikes in every category. But they are not comparatively that much better than the cheaper alternatives.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Article_Page.aspx?ArticleID=71

Maybe the 1200GS is in a class by itself, so they can really jack the price up.

to me this is an easy guess as to what he bought that's 100lbs lighter and has a 6th gear. it can only be one of 2 bikes:

1. Husaberg fs650e-245lbs, 60hp, 6 gears, street legal, etc.

or

2. KTM 525EXC-also 245lbs, 50hp, 6 gears, street legal etc.

Husaberg and KTM are the only maunfactures that make a 112 kilo (245lbs) bike that come straight out of the box street legal, 50-60hp, and both have 6 gears. Hell, even their 450's have 6 gears from both KTM and Husaberg. of course, KTM own Husaberg so that may have something to do with it. The KTM 640lc4 weighs way too much to qualify or i would have included that as a possibility. Husqvarna's are a possibility but i don't know anything about them having 6 gears, or weighing anything near 245lbs!!

Yup, beamer gets good reviews and is $$$,Still ain't a dirt bike.......

Somes of the fellas know if you got dirt, uhh get a dirt bike, if you want to go 700MPH get a Ninga or something,,,

DR is what we used to call street trail and not RM/KTM/Ninga-saki.........

I wonder if this is Alaska boy now ????

ww2451-T.jpg

True on that. The first day I got my DR last year I removed the pillion pegs, pillion handrails, license plate holder, blinkers front and rear. Later on the speedo had to go, and I replaced the stock muffler for a lighter but still legal Maving exhaust.

don't we all?

What's street legal in Europe isn't always legal in the US, unfortunately. I don't think the Husabergs are sold as street-legal (anyone know for sure?). Ah, the joys of US laws!

Speaking of which, if you remove the blinkers and speedo, it's no longer US-legal (the plate holder and passenger stuff is OK, though). At least, I think it's got to have a speedo (despite what they do on American Chopper).

The Maving is non-existent in the US. Some folks here have tried to find them to no avail. Losing some weight on that horrible stock exhaust would be fantastic. The options available here are all louder than stock, so many wish we could get our hands on the Maving, which is supposed to be almost as quiet.

To make matters worse, laws differ from state to state. If our Alaskan friend goes to California (I think he mentioned that) and if he made a dirt bike street legal for Alaska, he probably won't be able to license it there. Plastic tanks are a no-no in Cali, for example. Of course, he'd have to have work done to his DR unless it's a "California model." Not sure how they are different, but they hold 1/10 of a gallon less (I think they put in some sort of vapor device). I bet the exhaust is different, too. Anyone from Cali want to comment?

Of course, he'd have to have work done to his DR unless it's a "California model." Not sure how they are different, but they hold 1/10 of a gallon less (I think they put in some sort of vapor device). I bet the exhaust is different, too. Anyone from Cali want to comment?

Two tenths less fuel and a charcol cannister system... muffler is unchanged.

WOW! I can't believe how much interest there is for a guy that doesn't want to ride the DR650 we love. This thread is :eek:

Maybe because its an out of the ordinary thread that even you cant help but read...

And he said sorry after all ?

WOW! I can't believe how much interest there is for a guy that doesn't want to ride the DR650 we love. This thread is :eek:

the way in which he left is also shrouded in mystery. apparently he is now riding something 100 lbs lighter, more powerful, street legal, great highway, better offroad, 6 gears....as far as I'm concerned this type of dream bike doesnt exist and we might as well be talking about unicorns.

Maybe because its an out of the ordinary thread that even you cant help but read...

And he said sorry after all ?

I read everything:crazy: I'm a newb. I felt I have not got any more wisdom, a laugh, or relative DR650 info from this thread, that's all. We can go to town square where things shrouded in mystry, and people talking smack to each other about thing of this nature. :excuseme:

the way in which he left is also shrouded in mystery. apparently he is now riding something 100 lbs lighter, more powerful, street legal, great highway, better offroad, 6 gears....as far as I'm concerned this type of dream bike doesnt exist and we might as well be talking about unicorns.

Adams: exactly! I spent a good bit of time doing research before buying the DR and did not (still don't) think there's a better bike for the money for it's purpose (i.e., all street, TONS, or the Kawi KLR if you like the "dual sport" style; all dirt, the Honda's probably a better choice, but for the street/dirt mix, the DR's tough to beat, especially if you throw in reliability/ease (and cost!) of maintenance).

If I could find a faster, lighter bike with 6 gears so I don't have to swap out my countershaft sprocket, I'd honestly like to check it out.

Cashneno, that is what I got out of this thread, or hoped to. I think the discussion is about what may be better is important. Sure, the DR didn't cost 10 grand like some of the bikes from Europe, but I'll probably lay out an extra grand over the 4800 I spent to get it to what I consider "ideal" for my use. My first Suzuki (GS550) cost me only 700 bucks (used, from a friend) and I drove it to the ground, so, to me, 6000 for a "very good" enduro (I hate the term "dual sport" sounds so "PC") is not easy to swallow. I would hate to find out that I could have gotten a much better (street-legal) bike (i.e., spent my money more wisely). Inquiring minds want to know!

• 1 month later...
I am 15 and cna easily pick it up any day:bonk:

They must grow em healthy down in PEI. You da boy... er, man... well almost anyway.. but if you can whip up a DR650 any day.... you must be da man! ?

It must be the potatoes. ? Which means they should be pretty good at lifting DR650s in Idaho too...

Well fella's I have a 13 year old that could pick up the 650 if he had to no problem.

I have also just bought a te610 2003 vintage for $2500 with 3100 miles. I couldn't resist as my 06 dr is like brand new 566 miles and is now for sale.

The husky is just as heavy and although the husky is 50 state legal it is a tiny bit faster. The big thing that made me switch was I have a street bike that enjoy and really wanted more of a street legal dirt bike. ( although the husky is still heavy enough that I wouldn't consider it a "dirt bike") The first thing you notice is the first gear being in the range you need. The bike is not as road friendly when it comes to noise as the carb/intake pulse actually gave me a headache so it looks like I may ride with ear plugs of some kind. This is something that isn't even noticed on the dr.

The ride is more harsh but it is better set up for more serious off road.

The big factor was all the things I needed to change on the dr $$ to make it similar to the te when I could just by the te and sell the dr and put $$ in the bank instead. I love the dr but financially and time wise the husky works out. If I had to buy one new I would still buy a dr as its a great bike and even with spending some $'s on mods it would be way cheaper then a new husky or ktm . Anyone looking for a really clean dr650 2006? in jersey 4200 and it could be yours nothing less though. blue in color and has my aluminum rear rack included.

bob 609-851-2810

Yeah I bought the bike and hadnt ridden a bike in a good year or two because I sold my 250 and bought a racing quad, I was doing some trail riding here on PEI and a trial was blocked off by a fallen pine tree so I went up the edge of the forest and cut in randomly, that was a bad idea with about 3 hours experience on a Dr650:prof: , I fared out not too bad only dropping it once but it was in a very akward place to pick it back up, but i managed not too bad, my buddy dropped his KLR650 once and he had to call me on his cell to come help him get that crate fulla bricks outta the woods:crazy: , I did notice the KLR650 is a fair bit heavier then my DR, Last weekend Dad n I hauled the bike and his quad to a local pit for a day of fun , I used to jump my 250 no problem and i was a little hesitant on jumping the big ol DR. I ripped around for a good half hour then wounder up and nailed a jump 2nd gear wide open, I was surprised she took off not too bad at all, I was about 5 feet it in the air and went about 25 feet, The only bad part was the landing the bike landed and bottomed out and bounced my skid plate on the PEI red dirt:bonk: , Here on PEI you dont really even need a skid plate as there is no rocks, But hey it came with the bike a nd I do go to NB occasionaly, anywho way off topic:bonk: ,

? RIDE ON:applause: