Sign in to follow this  

Should I buy a '03 WR 250?

Been riding street bikes for the last 20 years. Time to go back to the dirt. I'm looking at a 03 wr 250. Any reason I should not buy this bike like problems with that year model and such. I rode a TTR 250 and was looking for just a bit more but not a yz or a 450. Have decided on a wr250 just looking for a good year model. Been here reading a while first post.

New to the board. Thanks for any advice I get. VT.

Welcome to TT.

The '03 WR can be made to run pretty much like a YZ if you want it to. It's a good choice for the right price - somewhere in the $2,000's. The next big change is '05, then '07.

Been riding street bikes for the last 20 years. Time to go back to the dirt. I'm looking at a 03 wr 250. Any reason I should not buy this bike like problems with that year model and such. I rode a TTR 250 and was looking for just a bit more but not a yz or a 450. Have decided on a wr250 just looking for a good year model. Been here reading a while first post.

I also think it is a good model year. Doesn't seem to be any major flaws. I have the '03 WR 250 and it's served me well.

I'd pay $2750 for a good one. Perhaps offer $2000 - $2200 and see where that gets you. I'll bet $2400-$2500. :thumbsup:

Yep, it's a great bike. Bought mine new in '03. I've had no problem of any significance. Just standard maintenance and it has been solid. Radiator guards are a must though (I learned from experience), and those bend in the wind bars they came with never lasted more than a couple of rides, but I assume that's been taken care of by the current owner. These and other things like if it has a skid plate and bark busters all add up to around $300 so keep that n mind when you make an offer as well.

I love my 03, plated too. :applause: I really like it in the tight woods which is what I mainly ride. I'm 220 lb and it works great! :eek:

personally i like the 03 the best, checkout my garage, i have an 07 as well but the 03 leaves it for dead, thats why i cant bring myself to sell it, i am going to race aussie enduros with her, the bikes perfect :eek: going to go looking for those upitty orange bikes and painful owners and have some fun lol:ride: :eek::ride:

Sounds like my story.

I bought an 03 WR250 about two years ago as my first ever dirt bike and it's been the best investment I've ever made. I try to ride it every weekend:ride:

I paid $2500 for mine and it wasn't well maintained. I did some research on here and after doing some simple maintance and doing all the free mods the bike runs nearly perfect:thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents from a guy who's been where you are now. If this is your first dirt bike stick with the 250. You will enjoy the ride so much more. All the guys I ride with have 450's or 250 two smokes and I don't have any problems keeping up.

When I wear out this WR250F I WILL buy another one. This is a fantastic bike:ride:

My '03 WR rocks! I bought it new after not riding for 30+ years and I have not

this much fun since I started surfing before the rest of the world discovered the sport. I hope you get a good one, ask a lot of questions about maint. and set up. You'll have a blast!

Thanks for all the response I am still looking for a bike. May have to buy a '01 or '02. A '03 is just a little more than I wanted to spend. Was the '03 the first year for e-start?