02 yz426 White Brothers E series Question need help!

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

Hi, i just got my 02 426. its mostly stock but has the WB e series muffler. i do trail riding so i am looking for good low to mid range power but the guy i got it from did mostly wide open desert riding. this is my first 4 stroke. my question is, what is the deal with the plates on the muffler? what would be a good number of plates for trail riding? i think there is 6 or 7 now but im not with the bike at this time. thanks for any help! oh, also what is a good front and rear sprocket tooth combination for low to mid torque?

I use stock gearing for woods riding. (14/49) Adding a tooth or two on the rear may help you.

The WB pipe is a good low end/mid-range pipe. 6 or 7 plates should be sufficient.

thanks for all the info. so what is the least/most plates you can run? and what is the effect of running less/more plates? thanks again.

Least would be none. Big hit power with no plates installed. Most would be around 12-13 plates. From what I have seen, the more open (less plates) the more hit and response. The more plates, better low-end and torque.

when i got my 400 with an "e" already on it, it had 7 plates. My main complaint was it was way loud. I also got a manual on the silencer in the paperwork I got with the bike. They recomend a minimun of 4 plates to equal the flow of a stock pipe. As you add discs you add top end, and sound, as you subtract you add low end and less sound. I have a db meter and mine yz400f with 7 plates was 94db at idle and would blink 100db with any throttle. I am running mine with 4 plates and it is 91db now. and my ears don't ring after riding it. I trail ride mine all the time and it is 14/51 and no complaints.

i forgot to mention that i have the spark arrestor in it so if ther were 0 plates wouldnt ther be no place for the exhaust to come out? is only using 4 plates gonna cause too much back pressure?

4 is what i run in mine and it has the arrestor also.

and correct, you could not run 0 with the arrestor.

mine was just way too loud with 7.

so 4 with the arrestor would give me better low end hit than my 7 that i have now? thanks for all the help!!!

thats the way i read it. if i had a scanner here I would scan it and send you a copy, but I don't. I did not notice a lot of change from the 7 to the 4 except the noise level. Don't know if you have to meet and db level to ride where you are. We only trail ride, so if I lost any top end, I don't miss it.

ya, same here, i just notice that my power hits on top and i always have to wind it up pretty good so i think 4 plates and a 14/51 gearing just might make it perfect for me. we have some sound restrictions but not too harsh.

I cant help you with the E pipe part of you question, but as far as the gearing, I run 14/52 on the trail and love it, just hang on, because it really comes on quick. I run an FMF power core with a spark arrestor and it has much better low and midrange power than the stocker.

Mike