Sign in to follow this  

Fitting Valves

i need to change the valves on my bike, i have shimmed all 4 once and there moving very quickly and i haven't got much money at the time so i was going to get the seats cut and install the valves myself to try save a bit of money, how hard is it to install valves and do i need any tools like a spring compressor ?

Thanks Grant

make sure you get the valve seats cut/resurfaced, and it would also be a good idea to get new guides installed.

And yes, you do need a valve spring compressor to get the valves out...

For the valves, I would get the faction MX intake valve kit. It comes with Stainless Steel intake valves with a black nitride coating, also the springs, retainers and cotters. They should last you a really long time. 165 at bto sports.

For the exhausts get new OEM, ex valves, springs, cotters and retainers. Also get 4 new OEM seals, and 4 new OEM guides...

I was a bit low on cash when I did my valves so I made my own spring compressor out of a G Clamp and an old socket which I cut the sides out of. Cost me $ 5 :thumbsup:

i have been looking for a how to, type thing for ages now and carnt find one... does anyone no of a good one ?

i only have the Manuel that comes with the bike and i carnt find anything in there apart from adjusting the valves ?

ok tell me if this is correct...

as you use the spring compressor and it pushes the spring down the cotters become free and you pull them out, soon as there removed the spring can be removed and then the valves should just slide out ?

ok tell me if this is correct...

as you use the spring compressor and it pushes the spring down the cotters become free and you pull them out, soon as there removed the spring can be removed and then the valves should just slide out ?

Correct. Get the seats recut.

Replace the seals and install the new OEM springs painted side up. If you look at the springs the coils are closer together at the bottom of one side. These face down.