Sign in to follow this  

A Bent Carb Needle!!

I am changing from the Red JD needle to the Blue and I noticed that the blue needle is a Very tiny bit bent about 3/4 of the way toward the skinny end. It is not really bent, just a very small wave in the needle.

I do not know how I could or did bend it, but never the less it is there.

Specifically the question is, would you call this a NO GO?

It will not change the calibraion of the needle but possibly the distortion would cause the needle to bind in the jet. Just straighten it. It is not that hard to do and it does not have to be perfect. Eye ball straight is good.

Yeah, I must have done something stupid. I am just real puzzled as to what because the JD needle is fairly robust. Again not trying to say it was not me, but still very puzzled.

I'd rather not buy a new kit so I will take the advice to straighten it.

A few tiny taps with a light ball peen should make it straight....just hope the process does not make any flats that cause weird responses.

I use this forum like a small boy uses his moms reassuring looks before he does something "big". Thanks mom!

fastgun, you shouldn't have to take a hammer to it, probably just put one end on the table with your thumb in the middle & lean on it. If it's to tough for that then drill a small hole in a piece of wood, stick in the hole to necessary depth & pull on top half. Peening might very well leave some marks or flats & wood is soft enough not to allow sharp edge of hole to kink needle right at that point....

great, I was just thinking it probably isn't to tough since it's already bent, almost went out to try one of mine but decided not to just in case....hammers are good, big hammers are better but maybe not here.

As experience builds, hammers are less used. Yes, obviously don't use a hard face hammer on the needle. Finger pressure should do it. Camster - good suggestions

As experience builds, hammers are less used. Yes, obviously don't use a hard face hammer on the needle. Finger pressure should do it. Camster - good suggestions

LOL, vise grips, spooge/Gasket goo and adjustable wrenches....

It is not clear from the post what carb the needle is for. There are no $12 needles for the BSR36 Mikuni. For the FCR 39mm Keihin there are more options. However, the JD red and blue needles are available only in kits, about $70.