Question for Colorado Street Legalers

What is the bare minimum equipment required and how do you go about street licensing a WR in Colorado? TIA

Brake light

Head Light

Brake light switch (20 bucks from Baja Designs)

mirror (Acerbis 18 bucks from Baja Designs)

Horn (Battery operated bicycle horn from Colorado Cyclist 16 bucks)

DOT approved tires (I've NEVER run them and have NEVER been inspected and my neighbor is a cop and didn't know they were required)


Before you try all of that, try to get the plate without any mods.

When I got my plate for the WR, I took all the paperwork from the dealer right to the county clerk and they gave me a plate and title (mailed later) on the spot. Never asked if it was street legal or anything.

I know you are supposed to have it VINned but I never got hassled and the Certificate of Origin said "for offroad use only" right on the top.

I don't have a brake light, horn, mirror or anything else needed. I have been stopped by cops many times as all they wanted to see was that I had the "m" on my drivers license to indicate I am licensed for motorcycles and that I had proof of insurance.

As long as you are not doing wheelies down the road or being an a**hole, they are usually very cool.


Dougie, '99 WR400

Mods: YZ timing, Race Tech Suspension, FMF PC IV, FMF Hi FLo Moto, YZ seat, IMS 3.3 tank, One Industries Graphics, Renthal bars, 14/52 gearing.


I didn't know you were such a "Law Breaking Rebel!!" Maybe you should be on a Harley? :)


I got the run around from DMV for having a bill of sale that did not explicately state "For Off Road Use".

I didn't bother sending it back to the guy - just typed another one up and had a neighbor sign it. (No - Kevin I don't ALWAYS play by the rules either)


Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now